UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Any physical therapists on the forum?

2/22/13 12:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nitecrawler
1824 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Made this thread on the OG, but I figured it might get a little more attention here.

Anyone here a physical therapist? If so, do you enjoy it? How is the salary? What are the qualifications? Pros? Cons?

I'm in physical therapy right now for a torn bicep (distal tear) and it seems like a really cool job and something I'd like to look into.

Any information or TTT's/bumps would be appreciated. Thanks!
2/22/13 1:04 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to be able to help more people and make more money, I would suggest acupuncture / Chinese medicine, over P.T. You can see (and impact) many more clients with your time as well as conserve energy etc. Much more efficient model in my experience than P.T., Massage, etc.

Just my two cents.

TAKU <---Not a P.T.

2/22/13 1:18 PM
dizz
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I know is, I have been to my PT a TON (hamstring tears, back injuries, shoulder surgery rehab, etc), and his job seems amazing. He works 3 days a week and spends the rest of his time surfing. Lucky bastard.
2/22/13 1:46 PM
Michael Piekarski
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm currently a student in a DPT program, I have another 2 years before I'm a physical therapist.  It is a 3 year grad program and you need an undergrad to qualify.  After you need to pass a national licensing exam.

The material isn't super difficult but the amount of knowledge crammed into each semester is intense.  Being in school now I see there is a lot going on that PTs do that you don't see during treatment.

2/22/13 6:19 PM
HERTSWENIP
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/22/13 6:31 PM
"JR Fitness" hasn't posted here in ages, but I think he still lurks around, you could try shooting him a message. (he is a P therapist)
2/22/13 7:36 PM
torquemada
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Occupational therapist here. Phone Post
2/22/13 9:58 PM
MattB ATC
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is your current educational background? What setting do you want to work in? Clinic? Sports team? Alternative setting? What population would you prefer to work with?

There are several similar fields that have pro's and con's depending on what direction you prefer to go. I am certified and work as an Athletic Trainer (ATC) and work/have worked with with physiotherapists from Europe/Australia, Athletic Therapists from Canada, Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, Acupuncturists, Osteopaths, Occupational Therapists, and Massage Therapists. Each have their own focus during the education process and different time frames in terms of finishing the degree.

Honestly, I have met great professionals from each of the above listed ones, and also crap ones. Like with any job, it all comes down to the work you put in during your schooling and being proactive with continuing education after certification.

You can talk to several different people and get several different opinions on which profession is the "best one" to go for. I would do the research on what ultimately fits your goals and future aspirations. I'm more than welcome to share my opinions on it all if you are interested, just let me know.
2/23/13 6:12 AM
pcuzz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife is a Licensed PT. Lots of choices, you can work in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, home health, industry, even open your own clinic. My wife started making around $25 per hour when she got out of school in 2001 and her last hourly job paid $55 per hour. Last job in home health pay per visit and she gets $100 for each patient she sees. She gets job offers all over the country almost daily.
2/23/13 9:31 AM
Ninjaplata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science and I work as a trainer now. I'm going back for an Associate's in PTA.
Like someone already said, it seems like it's just being a corrective trainer with benefits and a nice wage. I'm going back for PTA because where I'm at, the tuition is significantly cheaper, less competitive application process, and tons of jobs everywhere.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.