UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Court McGee: Sponsor owes me $ for over a year

2/22/13 4:05 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

If you can read this, you already know Ronda Rousey is fighting Saturday night. However, UFC 157 has a tremendous main card, including Lyoto Machida vs. Dan Henderson, Urijah Faber vs. Ivan Menjivar, Josh Koscheck vs. Robbie Lawler, and Court McGee vs. Josh Neer .

The mighty Steph Daniels caught up with McGee to talk about the cut (it is his first time at 170), the dismal state of judging, Josh Neer, and bad sponsors.   

"I was worrying too much about sponsorship, and I had some issues with management," said McGee. "At one point, literally, right before weigh-ins, I was told that I had to lose all my sponsors, lose the banner, and would have to change my shorts, because something wasn't cleared. All I could think about was all the money I was going to be missing out on. I started worrying about my family. I should have just said, 'Screw that', because all I really need is a cup, a mouthpiece and shorts to go fight in."

"The last thing you want to be worrying about is your sponsors. That extra money goes a long way for some of us. I was in a situation where I had to make a difficult decision on getting some different management, and that's what I did."

"I have sponsors that still haven't paid me since March of last year. It's getting harder and harder to find sponsors that are reliable and will do what they say. Stroops Fitness are the ones that haven't paid me. They're in a bunch of different gyms and are a big company. They're a Utah based company with equipment in hundreds of different gyms. It's coming up on a year. These guys owe me some money."

Read entire article...

A UGer, RenegadeBoxing, just posted the following on the Stroops Facebook page:
"Pay court mcgee the money you owe him!"

Stroops then responded:

"We had a Rogue Salesperson making offers of Sponsorships and we still have a few of these that show up. It was never nor is it our intent to rob him of a committed sponsorship. This issue has been forwarded to our Head of Sales to find out what happened, and get this resolved. Thank you so very much for bringing this to our attention.

We were not aware of this situation and now that it has been brought to out attention we are going to make it right. If you can get in tcouh with Court and tell him to call our corporate offices @ 1-801-776-3322 and Ask to Speak to Mike Waters or Gary Harker we will make this right I personally guarantee it !!!"

Now McGee's management has posted on the UG that the situation has been resolved.

Court McGee and Unpaid Stroops sponsorship

Paradigm Sports Management, Director of PR/Media

To the MMA Community,

In a recent interview, Court McGee had made mention that Stroops had not paid him for a previous sponsorship relating back to his fight against Costa Philippou at UFC on FX 2. This was 100% accurate, however it was not actually due to the any fault of Stroops.  Since the interview (and a subsequent thread on the UG) we have been in contract with Stroops executives and the situation has been handled. 

Thanks you very much to all of Court's fans and supporters.  Additionally, we appreciate the people at Stroops for immediately reaching out and rectifying the situation. 

Paradigm MMA Management

2/22/13 4:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby
806 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for lynching Phone Post
2/22/13 4:12 PM
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In

2/22/13 4:13 PM
TDogg926
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In......again. Burn the witch!!!!! Phone Post
2/22/13 4:13 PM
JoeMimic
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG! Assemble! Phone Post
2/22/13 4:32 PM
FanToFighter
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy666 - Done. They just posted that they are contacting Court now and did not know about this.
Lol Phone Post
2/22/13 4:35 PM
jTheHybridwolff
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pay the man his fucking money Phone Post
2/22/13 4:37 PM
UGCTT croy_00
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/22/13 4:37 PM
Well, that was fast.
2/22/13 4:38 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully the do pay up and not bullshitting Phone Post
2/22/13 4:39 PM
RickStorm
1697 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

Another great article from Crooklyn!

2/22/13 4:45 PM
Barbalos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy666 - Is it bad form to tweet Court while he is cutting weight and ask him if they really called him?

No? not in my opinion anyway.
2/22/13 4:45 PM
joesonshuevos
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*preps tar and feathers*

2/22/13 4:46 PM
RenegadeBoxing
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just posted on the Stroops facebook page saying "Pay court mcgee the money you owe him!" they just responded with

Stroops
"We had a Rogue Salesperson making offers of Sponsorships and we still have a few of these that show up. It was never nor is it our intent to rob him of a committed sponsorship. This issue has been forwarded to our Head of Sales to find out what happened, and get this resolved. Thank you so very much for bringing this to our attention.
6 minutes ago · Unlike · 1

Stroops We were not aware of this situation and now that it has been brought to out attention we are going to make it right. If you can get in tcouh with Court and tell him to call our corporate offices @ 1-801-776-3322 and Ask to Speak to Mike Waters or Gary Harker we will make this right I personally guarantee it !!!"
2/22/13 4:48 PM
X_Rated
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice. Rogue salespeople though? Wtf is up with that Phone Post
2/22/13 4:48 PM
zebers3
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha I also like how Hawn and Bocek were all cryptic in trying to reveal who the sponsor was that didn't pay while Court is just straight up "Stroops fitness are the ones that haven't paid me."
2/22/13 4:51 PM
Zomby

I like how the main article doesn't mention Rousey but the UG somehow got to pushing her name inside...

On topic though, the sponsors suck!
2/22/13 4:51 PM
RenegadeBoxing

Another employee from Stroops just posted

"Wow. I work for Stroops, and we don't do this to people. We'll take care of it right away. This rogue sales guy is a worthless, sabotaging, thieving piece of shit. He left and took all his contact info with him, and didn't tell us about the arrangement with Court. This will not happen again, and we'll pay up, like we always have."
2/22/13 5:08 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do businesses really see returns for sponsoring fighters who are not like top 5? Phone Post
2/22/13 5:14 PM
justfighting

you guys are awesome... funny that mma ppl are the most respectable of all the forums ive seen. (not all, but most).
2/22/13 5:31 PM
Crooklyn
699 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!

Thank you so much for posting my article! Voted up UG Blog!

2/22/13 5:36 PM
MrNiceguy66

Pay the man!!! Phone Post
2/22/13 5:48 PM
Slapsymaxi
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How could they rack it up to a rogue salesman? Didn't the company have to pay the Zuffa fee?

Max Phone Post
2/22/13 6:27 PM
NavyCorpsman
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For now ....

2/22/13 6:37 PM
Attack Dawg
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe the UFC should require the sponsor's money for the fighter to be held in escrow before the fight. They are already involved with approving the sponsors by requiring payment for themselves. Phone Post
2/22/13 6:40 PM
john joe
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
RenegadeBoxing - Just posted on the Stroops facebook page saying "Pay court mcgee the money you owe him!" they just responded with

Stroops
6 minutes ago · Unlike · 1

Stroops We were not aware of this situation and now that it has been brought to out attention we are going to make it right. If you can get in tcouh with Court and tell him to call our corporate offices @ 1-801-776-3322 and Ask to Speak to Mike Waters or Gary Harker we will make this right I personally guarantee it !!!"

regardless of whether they term him a rogue salesperson, he's an agent of the company and thus the agreement is most likely legally binding. Its up to them to recoup from him via legal action of their own.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.