UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aldo refusing Pettis fight?

2/24/13 2:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kansas Comet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wanted the rightful #1 Lamas vs Aldo

Also wanted the rightful #1 Hendo before tonight vs Jones.

Also wanted the rightful #1 Hendrix vs GSP.

Also wanted the rightful #1 Pettis vs Bendo/Melendez winner

The new rankings don't mean anything.

2/24/13 3:01 AM
kylekanada
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No champ should refuse a fight that the company that employs him is trying to make. Also Pettis is the last to beat the 155 champ, he's the last to hold the Wec belt, he was promised a shot immediately in the UFC but took a fight with anti-fighter Guida. He then out wrestled Heathen and then clowned 2 top guys (Lauzon and Cowboy). If the fans and the UFC want the fight, the fight should happen.
2/24/13 3:03 AM
Elhoffo
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBASS -

I don't think he is ducking Pettis and I completely agree that Pettis deserves a title shot, just not at FW. Aldo is standing up for the rest of the division IMO. I said before that if Aldo does end up fighting Pettis that it will be 2 years (or possibly even longer) until someone from the FW division gets a shot at Aldo. That's a travesty. 

There's been so many title shots given out lately to fighters who aren't the #1 contender that it's become a bit of a joke. To see a whole division get log-jammed and self-destruct over this period of time due to fighters from the division not getting their dues is even worse. Whilst I understand that for the sake of making money for themselves and all the fighters that certain fights are more promotable; for the people who follow the sport religiously and want to see the world's best fighters in each division fight - it is becoming a bitter pill to swallow. 

Completely agree ! Phone Post
2/24/13 3:22 AM
deadlysyn

Come on, Don't be scared homie!
2/24/13 3:24 AM
Skip2MyLou
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo is sticking up for lamas. Why can't u people appreciate that?
Wish jones has stuck up for hendo, or gsp had stuck up for Hendricks Phone Post
2/24/13 3:26 AM
easedel

Can't blame aldo, just cause you drop weight doesnt mean you deserve an instant title fight.
2/24/13 3:26 AM
FedorEmilioEstevez
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
kylekanada - At this point Pettis deserves a shot at any title he can make weight for. Fighters need to fight who they are told and stfu.

LOL at this garbage.  Pettis has won 3 in a row, 1 being a split decision that could have went either way to Jeremy Stephens, who is now a FW.  He was on the verge of losing his 2nd in a row just over a year ago, wins 2, and now "deserves a shot in any weight class?"  No, and I'm a huge Pettis fan.

I like how people are so vocal about Pettis deserving everything yet tell Hendricks he should just STFU and fight, despite the fact he's won 5 in a row with 4 against top 10 fighters.

I agree Phone Post
2/24/13 3:30 AM
SHUTD0WN
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar -

Respect for Aldo for not bending to this game.

Not bending? Aldo is an employee of zuffa and a champion!!!
He should be fighting anyone and everyone silva puts in front of him like he's paid to do. Phone Post
2/24/13 3:36 AM
ChrisVillain

I like both pettis and Aldo, but why do you just assume that because he refuses the fight that he is afraid?...Aldo is right, pettis doesn't deserve the fight. Have you ever thought that maybe aldo is tired of guys dropping weight and getting immediate title shots when true FWs are earning their shot and it's being given away to lightweights that cut weight? I really want to see this fight but if he doesn't do this then we may never see a true FW fight aldo for the title again.
2/24/13 3:38 AM
Kansas Comet

Hope Aldo sticks to his guns; Lamas is the rightful number one contender; Pettis has the winner of Bendo/Melendez locked up!!

Pettis needs to fight the bigger men in HIS Division that he just won the number one contender spot in..
2/24/13 3:41 AM
part_time_lurker
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kinson - 
explodin -
JerodR - Fight or give up the title. Champions should not be choosing who they fight anyway..
This Phone Post
Well said. Phone Post

Agreed, Champions should fight who they are told, in their own division...
2/24/13 3:58 AM
Bentleysuper8

Jesus fuck. Pettis should at least be made to displace the #1 feather weight contender.
2/24/13 3:59 AM
JOESONDO
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo seemed pretty agreeable to this before but all of a sudden his manager comes back and they don't want the fight? Sounds like his manager is trying to protect his fighter from a dangerous fight. LOL at them caring about the contenders in the division.

In either case, champions fight who the UFC deems is the best challenger or lose the belt. Aldo does not have the right to refuse. Phone Post
2/24/13 4:07 AM
shallowkal

If you're not prepared to face ALL comers as a champion, then you refuse the title shot when you offered it. “Champ" comes with obligations Phone Post
2/24/13 4:15 AM
TheKidAintMine
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate -  I like the notion that Aldo is sticking up for the other fighters in his division. I have some bad news for you, Aldo doesn’t give a fuck about anyone in that division but himself (and rightfully so). If he thought he could walk through Pettis and get the easy paycheck he would have already signed the contract. He is scurred and wants either an easier fight or more money. The bad news for Aldo is that he is king of the least popular division in the UFC and can be replaced without upsetting the bottom line. Phone Post

This is correct. I think this is a negotiation tactic to get more money. Aldo doesn't care about Lamas or "doing what's right according to the rankings". He wants to get paid more and there's nothing wrong with that. But you guys who think this is some sort of principled stance by Aldo are retarded.
2/24/13 4:27 AM
Kansas Comet

shallowkal -  If you're not prepared to face ALL comers as a champion, then you refuse the title shot when you offered it. “Champ" comes with obligations Phone Post

Obligation to fight the number one contender in YOUR Division; Pettis has not earned the number one contender spot at FW but has earned the number one contender spot at LW.

Pettis has the top LW Contender spot locked up and should fight men in his weight class around his size not be able to jump the line at a FW and fight a smaller man.
2/24/13 4:32 AM
JOESONDO
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kansas Comet -
shallowkal -  If you're not prepared to face ALL comers as a champion, then you refuse the title shot when you offered it. “Champ" comes with obligations Phone Post

Obligation to fight the number one contender in YOUR Division; Pettis has not earned the number one contender spot at FW but has earned the number one contender spot at LW.

Pettis has the top LW Contender spot locked up and should fight men in his weight class around his size not be able to jump the line at a FW and fight a smaller man.
The top contender is who the organization deems it is, not Aldo or his management. As long as Pettis can make the weight Aldo should have no right to refuse. Phone Post
2/24/13 4:33 AM
I_LOST_A_SN_BET_TO_LEGHOUND
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he beats pettis, he is prob thinking the next guy at 155 who is in the title picture. Will just keep getting a shot at his belt instead of 145ers who are working there way up. But fuck I really wanna see aldo against a striker like pettis. Phone Post
2/24/13 4:35 AM
Jo'donnell-Davies
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JayBRO - Fighters should have ZERO say in who they fight, they should fight who they are told to... They are employed by Zuffa, not the other way around. Phone Post
Exactly. Lamas deserves this fight because pettis hasn't fought in this division yet. If pettis beats Edgar, mendes, Swanson and lamas then yeah let him have a go. But I'm not a fan of the new trend (changing weight classes for big fights). Hopefully it will stop soon and people just man up and fight whoever is given to them Phone Post
2/24/13 4:36 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
439 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn. In Phone Post
2/24/13 4:57 AM
Enemies

pau tucker
2/24/13 5:08 AM
JediJitsu
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

robopimp - I like Aldo but he seems shook. This is a tough matchup and he should want to rise to the challenge.
Best post so far. Phone Post
2/24/13 6:03 AM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm an aldo fan myself as well as pettis, but the only difference between him and Frankie is pettis could very well win this shit. Phone Post
2/24/13 6:06 AM
Winston Wolf
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big Aldo fan but u have to fight who they give you anything else is chickenshit.Pettis is a huge fight and more than deserving Nobody wants to see Lamas instead
2/24/13 6:10 AM
DanUK
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/24/13 6:10 AM
If Aldo is refusing Pettis at 145, then perhaps Dana should refuse Aldo fighting the champ if he eventually goes up to 155?

What comes around, goes around. If you're a champion, and you're getting champion money, you dont get to fucking cherry pick your opponents.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.