UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aldo refusing Pettis fight?

2/24/13 7:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
leethal21
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GoodnightWorld - No fighter has to fight anybody else, and it's good to see a champ telling DFW to go fist himself. Hopefully when this ends: Aldo gets way more loot and crushes Pettis, Lamas beats TKZ and the two best FW in the world meet at the end of this year. That'd be cool. Then later, Rick can fight Pettis.

bla bla bla. anyone who wants to tell dana or joe how its going to go should watch the honda and liz fight and dennis and matt. watch them in full right before you tell dana and joe how its going to go.

100 people going........

2/24/13 8:00 AM
UGCTT_ForeverOwnedByFryedTakayama
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only fighter to check his leg kicks.... He scared bro Phone Post
2/24/13 8:14 AM
ec
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be willing to bet it's his management refusing the fight. Aldo will have an interview with tatame where he states he will fight anyone anytime, but he doesn't thing pettis deserves it and Dede is working out the deal. Dede might be the one refusing.

If it really is Aldo saying no directly to Dana, that sucks and will put a stain on his awesome career IMO. But we all know how Dana blows things like this out of proportion and announces private business conversations in order to play hardball and get a fighter to do what he wants. Phone Post
2/24/13 10:08 AM
Louisvillain
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate - Why does anyone "respect" a champion for turning down a fight? Phone Post
. Phone Post
2/24/13 10:47 AM
Killahbeez79

JBASS - 

I don't think he is ducking Pettis and I completely agree that Pettis deserves a title shot, just not at FW. Aldo is standing up for the rest of the division IMO. I said before that if Aldo does end up fighting Pettis that it will be 2 years (or possibly even longer) until someone from the FW division gets a shot at Aldo. That's a travesty. 

There's been so many title shots given out lately to fighters who aren't the #1 contender that it's become a bit of a joke. To see a whole division get log-jammed and self-destruct over this period of time due to fighters from the division not getting their dues is even worse. Whilst I understand that for the sake of making money for themselves and all the fighters that certain fights are more promotable; for the people who follow the sport religiously and want to see the world's best fighters in each division fight - it is becoming a bitter pill to swallow. 

Only a troll would try to argue with you on those points...that being said, the UG is lousy with them today for some reason.
2/24/13 10:51 AM
JOESONDO
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GoodnightWorld - No fighter has to fight anybody else, and it's good to see a champ telling DFW to go fist himself. Hopefully when this ends: Aldo gets way more loot and crushes Pettis, Lamas beats TKZ and the two best FW in the world meet at the end of this year. That'd be cool. Then later, Rick can fight Pettis.
Yes the fighters do have to fight who the UFC puts in front of them if they want to continue to work for the UFC or hold the title. If the fighters got to pick their fights you'd end up with boxing where everyone avoids tough fights because its not in their best interest. Phone Post
2/24/13 11:03 AM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lamas is getting proper fucked. Phone Post
2/24/13 11:06 AM
theppfftt
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JayBRO -  Fighters should have ZERO say in who they fight, they should fight who they are told to... They are employed by Zuffa, not the other way around. Phone Post

couldn't have put it better myself. they employee Aldo not the other way around. Who does he wanna fight? That is what doesn't matter.
2/24/13 11:21 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So we're just going by what the habitual liar and exaggerator Dana said? Sounds legit. Phone Post
2/24/13 12:52 PM
I AM A MOFO
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see Aldo has picked up more than just techniques training with Anderson....
2/24/13 1:54 PM
mje364
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Louisvillain -
dubate - Why does anyone "respect" a champion for turning down a fight? Phone Post
. Phone Post
Does Gsp deserve any respect for takings guy off a loss and suspension and not taking the guy who has top 10 wins/knockouts? Phone Post
2/24/13 2:00 PM
mje364

Taking a* Phone Post
2/24/13 2:09 PM
kingkoopa

Also needs to fight lamas Phone Post
2/24/13 2:12 PM
orcus

Willy the Coyote - Aldo will win by KO anyways.

Aldo has stopped two guys on the feet in the last 4 years and they were both 5'2" grapplers. Pettis is 5'10", one of the best standup fighters in the entire sport, and has never been stopped.

2/24/13 2:23 PM
Captfireeyes
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lamas has beat 3 top contenders in a row, what does he need to do for a title fight? Get KO'd and move up a division? Phone Post
2/24/13 3:09 PM
SHUTD0WN
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NeilDiamond -
SHUTD0WN -
epwar -

Respect for Aldo for not bending to this game.

Not bending? Aldo is an employee of zuffa and a champion!!!
He should be fighting anyone and everyone silva puts in front of him like he's paid to do. Phone Post
No fighter is an employee of zuffa - they are independent contractors. Phone Post
My mistake.
Still, fighter's shouldnt be able to pick n choose the opponent's (Anderson)
When you are a champion, you take ALL comers. Phone Post
2/24/13 3:56 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't blame Aldo for not wanting to fight someone who has never even had a fight at FW and they don't feel deserves it.

Still, the belt is supposed to represent something - that you can beat anyone else in the division. Champions should have no say in who they fight.
2/24/13 4:06 PM
mje364

Chiron - I wouldn't blame Aldo for not wanting to fight someone who has never even had a fight at FW and they don't feel deserves it.

Still, the belt is supposed to represent something - that you can beat anyone else in the division. Champions should have no say in who they fight.
This.
Number one contender doesn't mean much now a days with Diaz or chael fighting for titles. I feel bad for the guys who get pushed aside who earned their shots. Phone Post
2/24/13 4:40 PM
Kansas Comet

JOESONDO - 
Kansas Comet -
shallowkal -  If you're not prepared to face ALL comers as a champion, then you refuse the title shot when you offered it. “Champ" comes with obligations Phone Post

Obligation to fight the number one contender in YOUR Division; Pettis has not earned the number one contender spot at FW but has earned the number one contender spot at LW.

Pettis has the top LW Contender spot locked up and should fight men in his weight class around his size not be able to jump the line at a FW and fight a smaller man.
The top contender is who the organization deems it is, not Aldo or his management. As long as Pettis can make the weight Aldo should have no right to refuse. Phone Post

You are making my point for me the Number One Contender is who has earned the position
within the Division, Lamas has won like 5 straight beating Koch who was granted a Title Shot before he got injured then Aldo was hurt, Lamas also beat Swanson. Pettis hasn't even fought at FW. It is like saying Sonnen is the Number One contender at LHW because UFC gifted him with a Title Shot.

Or saying Diaz coming off a loss and long suspension is the number one contender at WW when really its Hendricks.

Now sure Dana can put anyone in there to face the Champ but again they are not the number one contenders in the examples listed above.

What makes the Pettis issue bad is he has earned a Title Shot in his own division why go down in weight against smaller men in a lighter weight class. Finally the wait for the Bendo/Melendez fight and a FW Title Shot is the same time frame. Just makes no sense and not fair to the true Number one contender Lamas.
2/24/13 4:43 PM
ender852
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2/24/13 5:41 PM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo is a scarred . Pettis gonna fuck him up!! Phone Post
2/24/13 5:51 PM
UGCTT SidRival's Butler
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kansas Comet- "Finally the wait for the Bendo/Melendez fight and a FW Title Shot is the same time frame. Just makes no sense and not fair to the true Number one contender Lamas."

It's not the same time frame. Bendo vs Melendez is still 8 weeks away, Aldo and Pettis could fight May. Plus, Bendo vs Gil could end in controversy and have an immediate rematch, the winner could be injured, etc. Fighting for the LW strap could be as early as July, but it could be much later. Phone Post
2/24/13 6:04 PM
InspiritMick

Also is right Phone Post
2/24/13 6:07 PM
FreakDaddy
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never thought I would ever see Aldo say he would not defend the belt against a specific person......Very shocked by this.......
2/24/13 6:14 PM
cycklops
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo didn't seem to have an issue fighting a person having zero wins at 145 and coming off 2 straight losses. Somehow THAT guy deserved the fight. Weak sauce bro. His handlers better straighten him up.

"I am the champ. I will fight anyone they put in front of me. Pettit is an excellent fighter and a great challenge and I look forward to this fight."

-Aldo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.