UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Diaz 'really close' to losing GSP title fight

2/24/13 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
maantren
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, a lot of people on this thread don't seem to have ever had a professional job.

Media obligations are almost certainly written into Nick's contract. Like any high-profile sport, championship-level MMA isn't some magical fairyland where you 'just show up' and compete, there's a lot of marketing that needs doing to generate the large paychecks.

If you want to turn your nervousness/social anxiety into a thing where you waste massive amounts of others' time and money while shitting over your own opportunities, so be it. But you'll be doing it on a pretty crappy income as a journeyman. All fighters get nervous during the buildup. Most act like men and front up anyway.
2/24/13 2:41 PM
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maantren - Wow, a lot of people on this thread don't seem to have ever had a professional job.

Media obligations are almost certainly written into Nick's contract. Like any high-profile sport, championship-level MMA isn't some magical fairyland where you 'just show up' and compete, there's a lot of marketing that needs doing to generate the large paychecks.

If you want to turn your nervousness/social anxiety into a thing where you waste massive amounts of others' time and money while shitting over your own opportunities, so be it. But you'll be doing it on a pretty crappy income as a journeyman. All fighters get nervous during the buildup. Most act like men and front up anyway.

Nick is making plenty of money and is in the hundredth of a hundredth of a percent of fighters who are ranked near the top of their weight class. He's doing just fine so your argument seems to be flawed.
2/24/13 2:53 PM
maantren
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
maantren - Wow, a lot of people on this thread don't seem to have ever had a professional job.

Nick is making plenty of money and is in the hundredth of a hundredth of a percent of fighters who are ranked near the top of their weight class. He's doing just fine so your argument seems to be flawed.

Not at all - he's a classic case of extreme talent eventually limiting itself through behavioural problems. Nick Diaz could be doing far better than he is, but seems to be increasingly incapable of playing the game at the UFC championship level. If he keeps it up, in a few years if he's even still fighting he'll be a journeyman like I said (remember he already 'retired' once in a weird tantrum).

You also see this frequently in the NFL - nearly every single player who has a long, productive pro career understands professionalism. The behaviour problem guys, though often extremely talented, flame out.
2/24/13 2:56 PM
maantren

Camocock - 

Mma isn't a professional job... It's a barbaric spectacle when done correctly.

It's what the fans want and it's what the promoters want even if they don't come out and say it.

Being a top-level UFC fighter is absolutely a professional job and I'm surprised you don't understand this. You have to work your ass off, maintain a bunch of professional relationships, and establish your value to the company, which to the UFC includes cultivating a media presence. How is that any different from any other high-level professional job?
2/24/13 3:21 PM
FaQ2

Wes_Mantooth - Let Nick get his ass kicked by GSP, then cut Nick Phone Post
I will smash your face into a car windshield, and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again. Phone Post
2/24/13 3:24 PM
HexRei

dorothy mantooth is a SAINT!
2/24/13 3:25 PM
hubris
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick is a true warrior, he doesn't have time for these beauty contests

2/24/13 3:38 PM
TexasBadAss
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can easily see Dana flying off the handle and pulling Nick off the card. Hendricks would make people forget about this in hours. Dana can then give Nick to Rory once he comes back.

If Nick doesn't care about money they will have to find something else to motivate him with and losing a title shot should.
2/24/13 3:46 PM
Ruthless Rye

Kirik - 
GarlicSauce - " DFW: Diaz 'really close' to losing GSP title fight"

The beautiful thing is that Dana needs this fight more than Diaz does.

Diaz genuinely doesn't give a fuck about formalities and protocols. If he'll fight, he fights. If not, he doesn't care.

If the fight wasn't such a moneymaker Diaz would've lost it a long time ago.

Dana owns the UFC. Nick Diaz could stop fighting and become a bee keeper and the UFC would be fine. Take away the UFC and Nick Diaz' income and profile would plummet dramatically. The relationship is not even, and Diaz is not being asked for anything unreasonable - these are contracted media obligations.

Dana owns less than 10% of the U.F.C.

Come the fuck on already.
2/24/13 5:01 PM
Harmon Whistler
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys should really click the link..

Whoever copied this from the source must have "accidently" 

HACKED THIS ARTICLE INTO PIECES AND OMITTED THE PART ABOUT NICK FOLLOWING THOUGH WITH HIS OBLIGATIONS

I'm not going to say it was only done to create controversy and drive hits to this site, because that would never happen.

Hey Underground Fraud, did you miss something here:

"However, White said he since has spoken to Tweedale, and the two are now on the same page. He also said Diaz since has complied with video requests and that his brother and fellow UFC fighter is also expected to do the same."

2/24/13 5:24 PM
Kansas Comet

Its PROFESSIONAL MMA people Nick Diaz as great a warrior he is - his Camp and Nick have shown everything but professionalism.

Won't be feeling bad for Nick if he gets pulled, he and his Management seem to continue to shoot themselves in the foot. Where is the accountability from Nick and his Management?
2/24/13 5:26 PM
Stache
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such a shame if he loses another title shot just because he's afraid of doing PR.
2/24/13 5:31 PM
GloverRampagedMyBrownEye
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Diaz genuinely doesn't give a fuck about formalities and protocols. If he'll fight, he fights. If not, he doesn't care.

Dana owns the UFC. Nick Diaz could stop fighting and become a bee keeper and the UFC would be fine. Take away the UFC and Nick Diaz' income and profile would plummet dramatically. The relationship is not even, and Diaz is not being asked for anything unreasonable - these are contracted media obligations.

/ thread Phone Post
2/24/13 5:32 PM
Stu Cazzo

2/24/13 6:15 PM
Officer Farva
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smellde Gluve - 

Funny stuff. Voted up !

2/24/13 6:30 PM
SickEyeDiaz
426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was some type of press conference (After GSP/Diaz was announced, i forget which one) where someone asked Dana if there would be a Primetime on the GSP/Diaz fight and he answered that he didn't know yet.

How could shooting a Primetime show have been written into his contract if they weren't even sure they were gonna do one till after the contract was signed. Serious question. Phone Post
2/24/13 6:30 PM
Smellde Gluve
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Officer Farva - 
Smellde Gluve - 

Funny stuff. Voted up !

Thanks buddy! If you haven't seen part 2 and the poster...here they are again...

2/24/13 6:35 PM
Forrest Spliffn

If Diaz managed to get this fight cancelled there would be little hope of him getting a shot again in any division.
It would also show quite clearly that he wanted no part of GSP.

I normally think Dana is a twat but when someone is spending a lot of money to promote an event that is going to make you a lot of money, you do a couple of fucking interviews.
I smoke pot and am introverted as hell too. However when it comes to making money you gotta just bite the bullet and deal with it.

In reality those crews are there to convince casual fans and newbs that GSP isn't just gonna run Diaz over.

Nick is so focused on the things he likes he does not see any value in the things he doesn't like. I was in that same zone for 11 years. Being an introvert, meeting new people, having your schedule changed or being dissected and questioned about things you are uncomfortable with is what you avoid at all costs.

I don't see his antics as being those of a disrespectful punk. Rather they are a window into the very same insecurities he mentally played himself against to become the championship fighter he is. Phone Post
2/24/13 6:50 PM
D241

I'm wondering if Dana is worried at all about what would happen in future dealings if Nick was to become the champion.

2/24/13 8:46 PM
Stache
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forrest Spliffn -  If Diaz managed to get this fight cancelled there would be little hope of him getting a shot again in any division.

I normally think Dana is a twat but when someone is spending a lot of money to promote an event that is going to make you a lot of money, you do a couple of fucking interviews.
I smoke pot and am introverted as hell too. However when it comes to making money you gotta just bite the bullet and deal with it.

In reality those crews are there to convince casual fans and newbs that GSP isn't just gonna run Diaz over.

Nick is so focused on the things he likes he does not see any value in the things he doesn't like. I was in that same zone for 11 years. Being an introvert, meeting new people, having your schedule changed or being dissected and questioned about things you are uncomfortable with is what you avoid at all costs.

I don't see his antics as being those of a disrespectful punk. Rather they are a window into the very same insecurities he mentally played himself against to become the championship fighter he is. Phone Post

Nice post.
2/24/13 8:49 PM
HexRei

Forrest Spliffn -  If Diaz managed to get this fight cancelled there would be little hope of him getting a shot again in any division.

"It would also show quite clearly that he wanted no part of GSP."

No it wouldn't.

2/24/13 8:51 PM
ChaosOverkill
521 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hubris - Nick is a true warrior, he doesn't have time for these beauty contests

What you think GSP likes interrupting his training every fight he's had in 5-6 years for this mass media clown circus? This is what Nick's third time or so doing it?

2/24/13 8:55 PM
Vote me down

UFC thinks it bad now, wait till he starches George.

2/24/13 8:58 PM
ChaosOverkill
521 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GloverRampagedMyBrownEye - 
Kirik -

/ thread Phone Post

This. I love Nick's skills and fights but I can't understand who it's logical in his tough persona that he can't handle what all fighters have done and never acted like this. There's social anxiety and then there's just unprofessionalism.

2/24/13 9:15 PM
MMAtador

Maybe he will be fine in 20 days when all the weed is out of his system lol. Takes about 30 days to get clean DFW unless you want him taking bong hits on primetime. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.