UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> I'm making a sword

2/24/13 8:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Einar
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A small falchion to be precise. The blade is done so far, I'll be starting on the hilt next week. It'll probably be a simple cruciform hilt with a wheel pommel.

The blade length is 21 and 1/4 inch, or 54 cm.
Thickness of 6mm at the base of the blade, tapering to about 4.5 mm at the clip.
Blade width is 40 mm at the base and at the clip, slightly narrower in the middle.
It has a V shaped crossection, from spine to edge.

Its all mild steel, so it wont take heat treatment. In other words, no hardened edge, so I wont be doing any cutting with it.

Apart from some cold forging to get the steel to curve a bit, its all done by stock removal. 5 inch angle grinder, files and sandpaper. 

3/2/13 2:43 PM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like a pretty cool wall hanger. Any plans to make one you can heat treat and chop with?
3/2/13 3:08 PM
Einar
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skpotamus - Looks like a pretty cool wall hanger. Any plans to make one you can heat treat and chop with?

Yes. Next week I'll be ordering a few yards of spring steel, so I can make a useable sword. This project was really more of a test to see if I can make clean lines and nice, even flats with my limited equipment.
3/7/13 10:36 AM
Einar

Right, so its finished. I'm fairly happy with the result, though there are things I want to improve for my next project. The pommel is, well, dull and the wire wrap, I may redo at some point, there are a few gaps between the wires I'm not happy with. Overall though, I think I made a nice little sword. Was a fun project for sure. I'm a little surprised that I found the blade easier to make than the hilt. I thought the hilt would be a cakewalk after compared to the blade, but getting everything to fit together neatly was actually harder.

11/5/13 7:24 PM
The Mat Pimp
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow! What a beautiful falchion!
11/6/13 9:50 AM
Einar

The Mat Pimp - Wow! What a beautiful falchion!

Thank you, Mr. Pimp :)
11/6/13 3:15 PM
The Mat Pimp
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way, thanks for sharing. Have you done any test cuts with it?
11/6/13 4:24 PM
Einar

The Mat Pimp - No way, thanks for sharing. Have you done any test cuts with it?

No, its not sharpened. Its only mild steel, so it doesnt have enough carbon in it to harden. My next project will probably be a langseax made from high carbon spring steel, which will be my first sharp.
11/6/13 8:17 PM
The Mat Pimp

Well, very cool regardless. Keep sharing! My son and I do a lot of historical fencing: German long sword, sword and buckler, etc. but all with wasters.
12/18/13 8:29 PM
krept
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, very cool and beautiful finish.

Am very interested in the heat treat you use for the langseax.
12/22/13 6:16 AM
Einar

krept - Wow, very cool and beautiful finish.

Am very interested in the heat treat you use for the langseax.

Thank you. I wont be heat treating it myself. I dont have the equipment to do that. I will most likely make the blade almost finished, but unsharpened, send it off to a plant that does heat treatment of steel and finish it and sharpen it when it gets sent back.
1/16/14 9:02 PM
pattitude
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very impressive! I have a sharpened battle ready Claymore made by a forge in Canada. It's lovely.
However, your work is even more stunning because you did it yourself.
Well done, sir!
2/11/14 7:28 PM
mmaresearchstudy
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow ... much better than i was expecting!

2/20/14 3:45 PM
Einar

Thanks, Pattitude and mmaresearchstudy.

Finally ordered my spring steel today, so hopefully it should arrive sometime next week. I may take things back a notch and try making knives before i move on to swords again. I'm tempted to buy a gas forge and learn to heat treat, and thats best done with smaller blades and working my way up, I think.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.