UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dan Henderson: I won that fight

2/24/13 12:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Herbish1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone has to fight, what would happen if Hendo decided not to push forward? We would see a fight where no one throws a strike. Thankfully that didn't happen because Hendo is a fighter. Phone Post
2/24/13 12:51 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't call anyone who saw it going either way wrong. Machida seemed to land better shots overall but I thought Hendo landed more and Fight Metric confirmed that aspect, plus he was coming forward and not being timid like Machida was, so it's all in how you want to interpret ambiguity. There was one round that clearly went to Machida but the other two could've gone either way depending on how you want to interpret the fucked up ruleset.

The only ones that really lost were the fans. The rules need a serious overhaul for more clarification and to encourage guys to fight more than stand there and throw feints at each other. Probably would've been best to just call that fight a draw since not much of significance happened and it was close.

Neither of them deserves to fight Jones after that.

2/24/13 12:53 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei -
Bisping decisioned my SN - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Bentleysuper8 - At some point aggression needs to play a bigger role in scoring a fight. I would have given the fight to Dan. It was close for sure but when in doubt I'd always give it to the fighter who actually wants to fight.
Yes, lets totally reward fighters for walking forward even if you are not doing any damage or being more effective. Lets punish all the fighters who like to counterstrike by making the scoring biased towards certain styles.

/sarcasm

Its called "effective aggression" for a reason. Dan was not being effective. Same reason we all know Leonard Garcia didn't really win many of his decision wins. Now the judges get it right and you're crying because its Henderson. Phone Post
I don't always agree with you but I have to here. As much as I wanted Dan to win for the sake of him getting a shot at the title before he retires. Machida won that, sucks it wasn't as exciting as most expected but that's how Things go sometimes.

Dan couldn't be more aggressive because machida was already connecting on counters and hard knees/ kicks everytime he waded in.

Dan did not look that good and I don't think I'd want to see him against JBJ.

Machida is still the only person I believe has a shot currently at LHW and he only wins if he doesn't get taken down. Phone Post

JBJ choked him unconscious standing last time they fought...
After throwing him down, elbowing him to oblivion on the ground and putting a giant hole in his head. Machida was done after that. Phone Post
2/24/13 12:53 PM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BuddyRevell -

Machida hit Dan with very little. Dan hit Machida with even less. End of story.

This Phone Post
2/24/13 12:55 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bentleysuper8 - At some point aggression needs to play a bigger role in scoring a fight. I would have given the fight to Dan. It was close for sure but when in doubt I'd always give it to the fighter who actually wants to fight.

I would agree with that. Based on the rules I thought it should've just been a draw or slightly to Machida but there's an argument that Hendo won on more strikes landed and aggression. That's why the scoring system is stupid. It's ambiguous and encourages mediocrity in action. It's supposed to be a fight, not a point-karate tournament with little going on. There should be more encouragement of aggression so one or both guys don't sit there the whole fight going "No, you come at me". If it's that close or there's not much significant action it should just be called a draw. The rules should definitely encourage more engagement.
2/24/13 12:56 PM
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - Real difficult fight to Judge. You can make an arguement for Hendo winning 29-28.
I would be interedted to hear that arguement. Very clear victory for Lyoto imo. Phone Post
2/24/13 12:56 PM
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*interested Phone Post
2/24/13 12:59 PM
UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chiron -
KingstonHawkeJr - Actually, I love the way Machida fights. Reminds me of Mayweather. When Hendo was aggressive he was getting picked apart. Only reason it got boring late is because Hendo stopped coming forward. He made it a boring fight, and lost in the process. He should be happy though, at least now he get's to avoid the massacre that was going to take place if he fought Jon Jones.

So Hendo made it a boring fight by not coming forward anymore, even though Machida ran away most of the fight? Talk about delusional. There's definitely an argument Machida won, but if either of them had a bigger hand in making it a boring fight, it was Machida. Don't be blinded by bias.
This Phone Post
2/24/13 1:00 PM
alkysmurf
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm waiting for the man who is going to stand up to these "elusive" "footwork" fighters and stop pressuring them, make them come to you. Take the center and wait, hands on hips if need be. I think a guy like machida who is such a defensive fighter, might have a hard time playing the aggressor.

Is this viable? Phone Post
2/24/13 1:04 PM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby - 
Chiron -
KingstonHawkeJr - Actually, I love the way Machida fights. Reminds me of Mayweather. When Hendo was aggressive he was getting picked apart. Only reason it got boring late is because Hendo stopped coming forward. He made it a boring fight, and lost in the process. He should be happy though, at least now he get's to avoid the massacre that was going to take place if he fought Jon Jones.

So Hendo made it a boring fight by not coming forward anymore, even though Machida ran away most of the fight? Talk about delusional. There's definitely an argument Machida won, but if either of them had a bigger hand in making it a boring fight, it was Machida. Don't be blinded by bias.
This Phone Post

True of course with Machida backing TF for most the entire fight, but it was close. I think though the fans have to live with any decision (like so many of Hendo's close fights).
2/24/13 1:11 PM
epic hero

I thought nobody "won" but in terms of the decision I think it was a toss-up and I could see Dan deserving the nod. Machida would land a kick and would circle and back peddle for a minute afterwards, I think at some point you have to reward the aggressor
2/24/13 1:15 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

epic hero - I thought nobody "won" but in terms of the decision I think it was a toss-up and I could see Dan deserving the nod. Machida would land a kick and would circle and back peddle for a minute afterwards, I think at some point you have to reward the aggressor
You reward the "effective aggressor" not just the aggressor. They used to make that mistake with Leonard Garcia. Everyone hated it then...

Plodding forward and swinging at air < backing up and accurately counter striking Phone Post
2/24/13 1:19 PM
Trust
689 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator
The Sauce -  No one did, fans included... Phone Post

I'm a big fan of both Hendo and Machida, but that was a warm up sparring session, not a fight. 

2/24/13 1:36 PM
Droppin Fights

Lol Dan did nothing Phone Post
2/24/13 1:38 PM
JamesTheWelshDR
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In all fairness to dan he has had a fair share of decisions go his way in the past that perhaps shouldn't of Phone Post
2/24/13 1:55 PM
epic hero

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
epic hero - I thought nobody "won" but in terms of the decision I think it was a toss-up and I could see Dan deserving the nod. Machida would land a kick and would circle and back peddle for a minute afterwards, I think at some point you have to reward the aggressor
You reward the "effective aggressor" not just the aggressor. They used to make that mistake with Leonard Garcia. Everyone hated it then...

Plodding forward and swinging at air < backing up and accurately counter striking Phone Post

Like I said if you're circling and back peddling for a minute straight then yes at some point you favor the aggressor
2/24/13 1:57 PM
MasterofMartialArts
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Krumrine - Had it 29-28 for Dan... No matter tho lyoto was either gonna loose to Dan last night or jones in a rematch Phone Post
But he didn't lose to Dan.....clearly.

I'm confused. Phone Post
2/24/13 1:59 PM
MasterofMartialArts
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ManWithTheIronFists - You got to be kidding me Dan, you lost and weren't even close to winning. I figured the judge who scored it for Dan was Cecil Peoples...
This exactly.
Figured "if anyone scored it for Dan it was Cecil...." Phone Post
2/24/13 1:59 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

epic hero -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Like I said if you're circling and back peddling for a minute straight then yes at some point you favor the aggressor
The problem was that machida was landing.

If neither were landing I would agree in this case. Phone Post
2/24/13 2:01 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Zacharinho -  I saw rounds 1 and 3 for Dan. But it sure was a trip seeing Machida move like that, haters can hate but that guy avoids getting hit and is pinpoint when he counter strikes. It could have gone either way. Phone Post

This, but that throw at the end of round 1 might have swayed the judges because...we're talking MMA judging.
2/24/13 2:05 PM
epic hero

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
epic hero -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

The problem was that machida was landing.

If neither were landing I would agree in this case. Phone Post

So was Dan
2/24/13 2:08 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before starting any more threads, please everyone, watch the fight again, with the volume down. Makes a difference.
2/24/13 2:10 PM
Jons Forsberg

Machida won all 3 rounds.
2/24/13 2:12 PM
shb
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jons Forsberg - Machida won all 3 rounds.

2/24/13 2:13 PM
PatrickVilone

If hitting air and landing stiff leg kicks wins a fight then yeah he won.

But no, Dan did land 2 good hits in the first round... two.. lyoto got a trip takedown and out-struck him

round 2 was the close one, still don't see how you can say Dan won this round either

round 3 lyoto slipped. Dan did NOT take him down. Regardless, Dan did absolutely nothing but lay and pray for 2:30+ minutes. Then it went right back to Lyoto fighting his fight.

I can see how you could give Rnd.3 to Hendo for the lay and pray. But the fact of the matter is, Lyoto was in control the entire fight. Dan was fighting Lyotos fight.

I know alot of fans don't like defensive fighting, but it's a part of the game. And Lyoto is the master of it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.