UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dan Henderson: I won that fight

2/25/13 8:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willy the Coyote - Anyone who thinks Dan won that fight is delusional. He was outclassed on the feet, and his biggest accomplishment was sitting in Lyoto's guard for a couple of minutes. Lyoto landed more significant strikes, showed far superior footwork, and did more damage on the ground in 5 seconds than Dan did in two minutes.
Actually, anyone who uses the term "outclass" to describe that fight is delusional....and clueless about MMA. Outclass doesn't belong in a close fight. Machida won a boring, close decision. Outclass? Never go full frontal retard. Phone Post
2/25/13 8:14 AM
sharkman68
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machida won. He landed much more and got the takedown. Round 3 wasnt a takedown, Machida clearly slipped. I can understand why it was a frustrating fight for Henderson, but I dont see how anyone thinks he won the fight?
2/25/13 8:16 AM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sharkman68 - Machida won. He landed much more and got the takedown. Round 3 wasnt a takedown, Machida clearly slipped. I can understand why it was a frustrating fight for Henderson, but I dont see how anyone thinks he won the fight?

this

its really shocking

2/25/13 8:48 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

ausgepicht - 
Willy the Coyote - Anyone who thinks Dan won that fight is delusional. He was outclassed on the feet, and his biggest accomplishment was sitting in Lyoto's guard for a couple of minutes. Lyoto landed more significant strikes, showed far superior footwork, and did more damage on the ground in 5 seconds than Dan did in two minutes.
Actually, anyone who uses the term "outclass" to describe that fight is delusional....and clueless about MMA. Outclass doesn't belong in a close fight. Machida won a boring, close decision. Outclass? Never go full frontal retard. Phone Post

In the striking department, where 80+% of the fight took place, Machida did indeed outclass Danny boy. 

There was no question, after watching 3 rounds, that Machida was the far superior striker. If he were white and Amurican you would agree.

2/25/13 8:52 AM
Y2JB

DamnSevern - 
Y2JB - Machida should have points deducted for timidity. His entire fighting style is based exclusively around waiting for the other person to engage. Counter punching is fine but you have to come forward sometimes, like Maynard said after fighting Guida, "You have to give the other person a chance to fight."

Machida was the one walking Dan down in the 3rd round fyi

Yes he was because he knew that he had to because of the takedown. To me it's pretty disgusting that the only time Machida will engage is when he thinks he will lose the round on points, otherwise revert to SOP - step back and wait.
2/25/13 8:56 AM
Y2JB

Machida gives his opponent two options:

(i) Rush forward into the wood chipper and get knocked out.
(ii) Don't rush blindly forward and the fight will end with zero strikes thrown by either fighter.

IMO fighters should start choosing option 2, fans will realize who is to blame for the crappy fight.
2/25/13 8:57 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Y2JB - 
DamnSevern - 
Y2JB - Machida should have points deducted for timidity. His entire fighting style is based exclusively around waiting for the other person to engage. Counter punching is fine but you have to come forward sometimes, like Maynard said after fighting Guida, "You have to give the other person a chance to fight."

Yes he was because he knew that he had to because of the takedown. To me it's pretty disgusting that the only time Machida will engage is when he thinks he will lose the round on points, otherwise revert to SOP - step back and wait.

You're totally right. He never landed all those other strikes including knees head kicks and stiff punches. That was all a figment of our imagination. Disgusting. He should have let him bang bro.

2/25/13 9:00 AM
Zaph
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I couldn't believe anyone even thought it was close. It looked like some drunk guy trying to hit a martial artist. Phone Post
2/25/13 9:16 AM
Lazer MMA

DamnSevern - 

When Hendo was waiting for him to engage without being engaged.

D2 - "I wish I could make gifs. There's 2 parts in round 3 where Dan was just standing in middle of the octagon like, "alright Lyoto, here I am, come at me bro", and Lyoto just had this look on his eyes like....you want ME, to come to YOU?!?!?!
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=1&thread=2137788&page=4

That sums it up. This below better though IMO

D241 -
This is the part of mma that I really despise.

This is new school/modern mma exploiting the limited time and round scoring system, over fighting.

This sport used to be about fighting and strategies to finish your opponent. The moment strategies started being employed to win rounds despite using very little offense but lots of defense, is the moment that a huge part of the sport died for me.

Problem with this fight is Lyoto has zero offense unless it's a counter. In the third round Dan stopped chasing him and just stood his ground. It made Lyoto look like, I don't like saying this, but it made him look like a bitch, When Lyoto was forced to fight, he just stood there and did his little shimmy hip shake hoping to draw Hendo in.

I don't understand how anyone can be expected to call someone a winner off a fight like that.
2/25/13 9:30 AM
Y2JB

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Y2JB - 
DamnSevern - 

You're totally right. He never landed all those other strikes including knees head kicks and stiff punches. That was all a figment of our imagination. Disgusting. He should have let him bang bro.

Everything Machida landed was in response to Dan coming forward.

I'm not expecting him to 'just bang' but both parties have to be willing to fight. Machida was unwilling to fight unless Dan came to him, otherwise he would literally stand there for the full five minutes waiving his arms around and feinting. It's not entertaining, it's not good for the sport and IMO it's unsportsmanlike.

2/25/13 9:34 AM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zaph -  I couldn't believe anyone even thought it was close. It looked like some drunk guy trying to hit a martial artist. Phone Post

for some people here if the drunk guys steps forward connecting nothing, taking down nothing, doing nothing... he should be the winner cause he's the agressor. And had some sort of control.

sad but true

2/25/13 9:40 AM
Lazer MMA

As a big Hendo fan I'm fine with the decision (not that I don't think octagon control was overlooked as it was, or that I agree with rewarding a guy running away most all the fight). Hendo should have held his ground IMO instead of taking the fight to Machida as much as he did. He should caused the ref to warn Machida to engage. The fighter coming forward in this was at a disadvantage IMO. He played chess not so well IMO.

Hendo himself said he blamed himself not the judges (for other reasons all be it) in the end.
2/25/13 9:53 AM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 
DamnSevern - 

When Hendo was waiting for him to engage without being engaged.

D2 - "I wish I could make gifs. There's 2 parts in round 3 where Dan was just standing in middle of the octagon like, "alright Lyoto, here I am, come at me bro", and Lyoto just had this look on his eyes like....you want ME, to come to YOU?!?!?!
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=1&thread=2137788&page=4

That sums it up. This below better though IMO

D241 -
This is the part of mma that I really despise.

This is new school/modern mma exploiting the limited time and round scoring system, over fighting.

This sport used to be about fighting and strategies to finish your opponent. The moment strategies started being employed to win rounds despite using very little offense but lots of defense, is the moment that a huge part of the sport died for me.

Problem with this fight is Lyoto has zero offense unless it's a counter. In the third round Dan stopped chasing him and just stood his ground. It made Lyoto look like, I don't like saying this, but it made him look like a bitch, When Lyoto was forced to fight, he just stood there and did his little shimmy hip shake hoping to draw Hendo in.

I don't understand how anyone can be expected to call someone a winner off a fight like that.

Youre contraditing yourself

"his sport used to be about fighting and strategies to finish your opponent. The moment strategies started being employed to win rounds despite using very little offense but lots of defense, is the moment that a huge part of the sport died for me."

If you think that goe toe to toe with Hendo is a valid stategy to "finish your opponent" you better think twice..

Machida had a valid strategy to finish. Machida's strategy fo finsh starts for not being finished. And I'm OK with it. To finish you got to make sure you don't end up sleeping in the middle of the octagon. I think it has a valid point. :)

I like MMA cause is the only combat sport where you can see a wide range fo strategies, technical abilities and phisical capabilities...

I liked Royce "anaconding" people around.... I liked and enjoyed Tank Abbot droping people like rag dolls... Wanderlei Silva KOin people in which might be considered the "anti-Machida way".... And I like watching Machida deal with an olimpic wrestler with real KO power, champion in two diferent organizations; I don't think it's fair to criticize Machida's performance based on picking the right stategy to beat one of the best fighters out there just becasue it doesn't favor the show. I don't give a damn for the show. I don't even like to watch people getting KOed.

To me Hendo is one of the best EVER. I dont't understand you if you can't enjoy watching a fighter making one of the best ever looking like an amateur via picking the right gameplan.

And please don't compare Machida's performance in the octogon with such as the ones from Guida o Starnes... they did't made his opponents look amateurish like Machida does.

Well I like football too (true one, no egghand) so....

(and sorry for my English)
2/25/13 9:55 AM
John Nic

Dan decided to fight machida like everyone else who has fought machida and lost. Phone Post
2/25/13 9:56 AM
Lazer MMA

Well these were D2's comments and I agree. I think you have a valid point too Sajite (althogh to me D2's are stronger). My exact thoughts are right above your post sir.
2/25/13 9:58 AM
tiki121

-First time he fought someone who didnt come at him head first and fought properly and he lost.

-I mean did didnt work in Rd 1 what makes you think its going work in RD 2 and 3

-Having said that he couldnt do shit on the ground

-Poor foot work, not loose at all

Poor game plan from the camp
-inside leg kick, hope H-Bomb lands
- they did tell him it wasnt working in Rd 2 but he carried on

Very poor
Looked 1 dimensional.
2/25/13 10:07 AM
meekie01

Damn machida must hit hard if dan is now that dilusional!!! Phone Post
2/25/13 10:12 AM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zaph -  I couldn't believe anyone even thought it was close. It looked like some drunk guy trying to hit a martial artist. Phone Post

no offense to Hendo, but this is a pretty damn awesome description

2/25/13 10:14 AM
Aaron Becker

running man Machida
2/25/13 11:34 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Y2JB -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Y2JB - 
DamnSevern - 

I'm not expecting him to 'just bang' but both parties have to be willing to fight. Machida was unwilling to fight unless Dan came to him, otherwise he would literally stand there for the full five minutes waiving his arms around and feinting. It's not entertaining, it's not good for the sport and IMO it's unsportsmanlike.

Your hypotheticals of what you THINK machida would have done are nothing more than hypotheticals. Lmfao at saying that a counterstriker is unsportsman like... Phone Post
2/25/13 11:36 AM
HexRei

it's not unsportsmanlike, but I do have to admit that if everyone fought like machida nothing at all would happen in fights
2/25/13 11:37 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Lazer MMA -
As a big Hendo fan I'm fine with the decision (not that I don't think octagon control was overlooked as it was, or that I agree with rewarding a guy running away most all the fight). Hendo should have held his ground IMO instead of taking the fight to Machida as much as he did. He should caused the ref to warn Machida to engage. The fighter coming forward in this was at a disadvantage IMO. He played chess not so well IMO.

Hendo himself said he blamed himself not the judges (for other reasons all be it) in the end.
How do.people events attempt to argue octagon control for Henderson????

He wanted the fight in tight or on the ground. Machida wanted the fight standing and at a distance. The scoring for that criteria reads " dictate the pace and location of the fight".....Dan did not have octagon control. Phone Post
2/25/13 11:37 AM
SuperMann
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They both lost. Phone Post
2/25/13 11:46 AM
Y2JB

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Y2JB -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Y2JB - 
DamnSevern - 

Your hypotheticals of what you THINK machida would have done are nothing more than hypotheticals. Lmfao at saying that a counterstriker is unsportsman like... Phone Post

Being a counter striker is fine I have no problem with that. My point was that if a fighter point blank refuses to engage unless it's 100% on their own terms, then they are being unsportsmanlike.

You have to give the other fighter a chance to fight.
2/25/13 11:49 AM
Jons Forsberg

"My point was that if a fighter point blank refuses to engage unless it's 100% on their own terms, then they are being unsportsmanlike.

You have to give the other fighter a chance to fight.
"

lol @ this.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.