UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Gina Carano return would be 'cool'

2/24/13 11:29 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Earlier this month former Strikeforce middleweight (145) champion Gina Carano was asked point blank by SBNation's Matt Ufford, "Are you done fighting?"

"I haven't fought in three years," replied Carano. "Right now I'm focusing on films and bringing my physicality and emotions to…  that's what my focus is, so I think that if your focus is fighting, you're a fighter and that's not my focus right now."

Matt Ufford: "So I can take this to Ariel Helwani, MMAFighting - 'officially done.'"

Gina Carano: "You can't say that. I wake up every morning and surprise myself, and I wake up to a new me every day. I still train."

MU: "When was the last time you sparred?"

GC: "Probably two weeks ago, actually. and it felt really good because I felt free to not feel like I'm training for anything but to just train and love it again."

At the UFC 157 post-fight news conference, UFC president Dana White expressed happiness for her current position as an actress, and said she would be welcome back.

"Gina's got her thing," said White. "I'm happy for her. Good for her. She hasn't told me, but I heard that she said she'd be interested in coming back. I'm not going to push her. I think it would be pretty cool if she wanted to come back."

"Gina's a movie star, man. Gina's out making movies. I actually liked that she made it, and she went on and she's doing movies and things. I like that. I like to see that happening."

Carano's return would be problematic at present, as the UFC is focusing on the 135 pound division, and Carano had to struggle mightily to make the 140 catchweight that Strikeforce created for her.

Still, a sport can dream, right?

2/24/13 11:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carano would never make 135lb
2/24/13 11:33 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She could make 135, she never went into a fight without a little bit of chub, it is a discipline thing
2/24/13 11:46 AM
Spartan1017

The weight would be difficult for her!
2/24/13 11:50 AM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - She could make 135, she never went into a fight without a little bit of chub, it is a discipline thing
Right, but she did miss weight several times often by ridiculous amounts. There is a huge difference in what she theoretically should be able to do and what she has accomplished. Phone Post
2/24/13 11:51 AM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - She could make 135, she never went into a fight without a little bit of chub, it is a discipline thing

Chub?!?!?! She can't make 135 she would have to chop her tits off.

2/24/13 11:56 AM
Stea1th

She could probably make 135 but its probably a lot more work then she wants to deal with. I would love to see her vs rousey though. Phone Post
2/24/13 11:57 AM
epwar
605 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never, ever going to happen.  Carano is never coming back to MMA and I wish she'd stop that "Maybe one day" crap in interviews she does now.

2/24/13 12:04 PM
UGCTT_Dinamita
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We can only hope

Phone Post
2/24/13 12:15 PM
morse
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gina is still awesome. When Cyborg came and looked like a monster Gina wanted to fight her. She lost but mad respect for fighting the best comp available.

Big wmma fan here with terrible English :)

2/24/13 12:41 PM
Arachnoid

I'd love to see Gina/Ronda, but it will never happen and if it did happen, Ronda would simply hang another arm on her wall.

Gina is an above average female fighter, probably top 3...Ronda, Cyborg, Gina...all other lesbians.
2/24/13 12:47 PM
ryanJ
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Gina fights again...I could see her having a role if the UFC does a female TUF. 

2/24/13 2:48 PM
Elite Hunting

Why would she want to come back and take a pay cut from making movies? She's moved on to a more lucrative and safe career. Going back to fighting would be going backwards in her life.
2/24/13 3:11 PM
crumbs

Gina beats "natural" Cyborg all day.
2/24/13 3:22 PM
kevsh
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/24/13 3:22 PM
Arachnoid - I'd love to see Gina/Ronda, but it will never happen and if it did happen, Ronda would simply hang another arm on her wall.

Gina is an above average female fighter, probably top 3...Ronda, Cyborg, Gina...all other lesbians.

And therein lies the rub: Anyone they put in against Ronda now is expected to be another trophy arm for her. Silva/JBJ are dominant too but they're exciting as in all of their fights we see something new and exciting. How long are people going to pay to see Rousey 1st round armbar women?

2/24/13 3:23 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Lahzerous - 
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - She could make 135, she never went into a fight without a little bit of chub, it is a discipline thing

fat distribution, how does it work?
2/24/13 3:29 PM
man meets fate

Edited: 02/24/13 3:30 PM
Gina cannot make 135 health wise. Neither can cyborg. If they offer gina 135 guarantee you she would tell them to kiss her ass. Also, kit cope is still one of the luckiest men on earth for getting to tap that ass. Fuck you, kit
2/24/13 3:58 PM
theshooter
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" She could make 135, she never went into a fight without a little bit of chub, it is a discipline thing"

Carano is 5'8" and she does not have a small build. I think it is unreasonable to expect her to make 135 lbs.
2/24/13 4:10 PM
cheesesteak
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After a 4 year layoff of eating texas roadhouse and making movies, she'd get starched by even the low tier pros
2/24/13 5:57 PM
SamboMMA

Kentpaul - Carano would never make 135lb

if Dana thought it would get Gina back in the cage he would introduce a 145lb Women's division.
2/24/13 6:38 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SamboMMA -
Kentpaul - Carano would never make 135lb

if Dana thought it would get Gina back in the cage he would introduce a 145lb Women's division.
Never.

Introducing a 145 division means a home for Cyborg.

No way they want Gina back to get pounded into hamburger again by Cris.

Oh and if Ronda can fight Gina at a catch weight, because it would be "cool", what would the excuse be for not fighting Cyborg at 140?

Ronda should have DESTROYED Liz.

She didn't.

Imagine if Bonnar had knocked down Silva and that's exactly what we saw.

Ronda has holes in her game that Cyborg could take advantage of.

I'm not saying Cris destroys her.

But if Liz Carmouche nearly beat her and Miesha Tate had success; you'd be a fool to not think Cris lands one big shot that changes the atmosphere.

Welcoming Gina back while making no room for Cyborg shows you exactly what is up with the UFC WMMA plans. Phone Post
2/24/13 10:00 PM
cheesesteak
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tell you the truth. I believe Liz could'v taken Cyborg into round 2 or 3. Cyborg is nothing special IMO...She had a hard time with Gina who isn't nearly as skilled as todays womens MMA fighter..She's pretty as hell and was a top dog in 08-09...But let's face it Gina's skills are limited...Todays Carmouche would probably either KTFO or choke or 09 Gina and she'd give Cyborg a run for her $$$$$$ and Cyborg would most certainly get submitted by honda before the 3rd minute of round 1...Sorry but IMO cyborg isn't technical...She is like a Pudzionsky of womens MMA...She needs to face someone techinical and she turns purple and dies.
2/25/13 6:41 AM
Arecsa
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to see Gina come back and coach against Rousey for women's TUF.
2/25/13 7:00 AM
Bucephalus

2/25/13 7:21 AM
KingOfFighters

Lahzerous - 

Should they weigh her tits, and discount that weight from her fight weight? because most wmma fighters have no tits at all, and it'd be an unfair advantage for her to cut more weight because she has 8 pounds on her chest

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.