UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kenny Robertson did not invent that leglock...

2/24/13 3:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Strandman
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is a BIG difference between saying you "invented" a move and saying no one taught you the move. Kenny learned it on his own just like a lot of us learned variations of moves just by rolling with different people.
2/24/13 8:10 PM
hitman8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strandman - There is a BIG difference between saying you "invented" a move and saying no one taught you the move. Kenny learned it on his own just like a lot of us learned variations of moves just by rolling with different people.

He might have well learned it on his own, but he was wrong for saying he invented it, and Rogan was wrong for implying that as well.
2/24/13 8:16 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/24/13 8:16 PM

He did in invent it, if he created it without prior knowledge of the technique.

He may not have been the first to invent it, but that's beside the point.  Rogan was making the point that Kenny is creative, and a submission artist.

2/24/13 8:27 PM
hitman8

UGCTT_Fillthy - 
hitman8 - 
big_roy_fan - okay?
i'm sure mr. robertson had a shitload of adrenaline and he probably doesn't remember the post fight interview today..

no need to act like he took credit for something that he didn't invent.. you just look like an arse in this thread

I look like an arse for stating facts?

you look like an arse for implying that somehow one grappling art owns copyright on a technique.

you like and arse for calling Joe Rogan and Kenny Robertson ignorant because they 'only know BJJ'.

you look like an arse for creating a thread to discuss something that's already been discussed in other threads.

you look like an arse for bringing nothing to the forum but your own sambo-inferiority complex.

1. I did not say that sambo has a copyright on that technique, but it is a technique that is taught in Sambo which is one of the best grappling styles in the world if you want to learn leglocks. Even BJJ practitioners will tell you that sambo is more advanced when it comes to leglocks.

2. I did not say they are ignorant because they "only know BJJ", I said they are ignorant for stating that the move was invented by Kenny when it wasn't. When you are completely unaware of a fact that makes you "ignorant" of that fact.

3. I did not see the other threads, even doing a search on it now all I see are some passing references to suloev's submission.

4. I don't practice sambo and I am not russian. My background is in Judo and I have no problem with BJJ. My stating the facts has nothing to do with any style bias or "inferiority complex" on my part.
2/24/13 8:29 PM
keepthechange

More than anything, it's a weird thing to get upset about. Phone Post
2/24/13 8:31 PM
hitman8

Great Judo Chop on bloodyelbow by KJ Gould, gives Suloev the recognition he deserves.
2/24/13 8:31 PM
hitman8

Great Judo Chop on bloodyelbow by KJ Gould, gives Suloev the recognition he deserves.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/24/4023928/ufc-157-judo-chop-kenny-robertsons-vs-brock-jardine-kneebar-submission-amar-suloev-stretch
2/24/13 8:34 PM
INDK
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did everyone forget that Arona, used it before but not as a submission Phone Post
2/24/13 8:40 PM
UGCTT_Capnsavem
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

QuadAces -
cheesesteak - How much you wanna bet that Dan the Wolfman is going to claim he invented this? Any takers?
Dan wouldn't claim to have invented it. He learned it in 1998 from a former Spetznaz colonel who was running an underground fighting ring in Juarez. Phone Post
Haha Phone Post
2/24/13 9:16 PM
hitman8

INDK -  Did everyone forget that Arona, used it before but not as a submission Phone Post

Well, if it wasn't a submission then it's not exactly the same thing.
2/24/13 9:30 PM
Rival School

Vitor the Taxi Driver Belfort - Do you people realize how many thing are invented at multiple times by multiple people? Look at the gas engine, 3 different people copyrighted it in different areas all without knowledge of what the other people were doing.

In grappling the same thing is even more likely to happen. You are all working with the same tool: 2 arms, 2 legs, and 1 opponent. Its completely possible he invented or rather innovated this move himself with knowledge of it previously. To that extent he did invent.

. Phone Post
2/24/13 9:41 PM
Damienhls

amars was nastier he pulled the foot up over his head
2/24/13 10:04 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/24/13 10:06 PM
hitman8 - 
1. I did not say that sambo has a copyright on that technique, but it is a technique that is taught in Sambo which is one of the best grappling styles in the world if you want to learn leglocks. Even BJJ practitioners will tell you that sambo is more advanced when it comes to leglocks.

2. I did not say they are ignorant because they "only know BJJ", I said they are ignorant for stating that the move was invented by Kenny when it wasn't. When you are completely unaware of a fact that makes you "ignorant" of that fact.

3. I did not see the other threads, even doing a search on it now all I see are some passing references to suloev's submission.

4. I don't practice sambo and I am not russian. My background is in Judo and I have no problem with BJJ. My stating the facts has nothing to do with any style bias or "inferiority complex" on my part.

1) You referred to it as a Sambo technique, implying that it is a technique unique to Sambo.  It is not.  I'm certain it's been done by a variety of  grapplers from a multitude of grappling milieus.  The first time you saw it was in Sambo, but that does not make it a Sambo technique.  It's a leglock. The first time I saw a guillotine choke was in wrestling, but I don't mock the 'ignorance' of people who refer to it as a a BJJ/Judo/Sambo technique.

2) Kenny invented the move.  Joe asked a straightforward question and got an honest and accurate answer.  I'm sure in retrospect he wishes he could have earned your respect by instead asking "That's a very rare technique, I've only seen Arona and Suloev use it in MMA.  Did you learn it from Sambo/Judo/BJJ/Catch-Wrestling/Pankration, or is it something you came across on your own through training?"  Alas, the opportunity has passed.  I hope he manages to sleep at night, eventually.

3) Those posts highlighted Soluev's brilliance.  You took it as an opportunity to shit on specific people and an entire martial art.  Take notes from the other posters as to how to be less of an arse when you notice these things.

4) Good for you.  It makes you no less of an arse.  Your phrasing was denigrating to Rogan, Kenny, and BJJ practitioners.  It wasn't an accident, and you owe them an apology for your arse-ness.

2/24/13 10:54 PM
RPBJJ
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wtf? Bunch of ass hurt pansies on this thread. Dude pulls off a cool sub and you clowns gotta pull your 1932 judo books out to make sure he didn't invent it???

Can't you just compliment the fucking guy? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.