UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Should SIGN hw Satoshi Ishii!!!!!!!

2/24/13 2:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Haulport
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/24/13 2:35 PM

Not too many top notch HWs out there and he is:

- Young
- Extremely talented
- Has potential
- Is an Olympic Gold Medalist
2/24/13 6:34 PM
Haulport

Well??!?!?!?
2/24/13 6:38 PM
da Vinci 81
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought his problem in the past was that he wanted too much money? Isn't that why negotiations with the UFC fell apart?

Gold medalist or not, he doesn't have the name recognition in the US nor the resume to make it worth bellator signing him if he wants big bucks.
2/24/13 6:44 PM
Haulport

da Vinci 81 - I thought his problem in the past was that he wanted too much money? Isn't that why negotiations with the UFC fell apart?

Gold medalist or not, he doesn't have the name recognition in the US nor the resume to make it worth bellator signing him if he wants big bucks.

I don't believe any rumors I hear especially ones that involved fighter/promotion negotiations...
2/24/13 6:47 PM
The_R
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - Not too many top notch HWs out there and he is:

- Young
- Extremely talented
- Has potential
- Is an Olympic Gold Medalist
That would be great since Bellator have absolutely no Japanese fighters currently. Phone Post
2/24/13 7:00 PM
Jay-dog

I rolled with him once too. Then watched a bjj brown belt best him in a local tourney. He's transitioning well into mma now though. Would love to see him in Bellator Phone Post
2/24/13 7:14 PM
UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be a good signing. Just the fact that he has a win over former UFC champ Tim Sylvia makes it an easy sell to the casual fans. Phone Post
2/24/13 7:20 PM
The_R
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saw his record, quite good besides his first fight and a draw, no shame in being knocked out by Fedor. Phone Post
2/24/13 7:26 PM
The_R

Wow he fought 4 times in 8 months? Definitely seems to be in his prime. Japan could use more star power especially in the higher divisions. It sucks that because of so many loses by Japanese stars very few are taken as a serious threat besides Gomi/Okami. Phone Post
2/24/13 7:32 PM
Kostakio
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ImA2TimeLoser -
Bigfoot_REEMED_meOver - I heard that DanTheWolfman rolled with him once! Phone Post
Where do you think he learned his skill? Phone Post
Cold. Phone Post
2/24/13 7:35 PM
The_R

big_roy_fan - he could fight in the UFC.

he'd be good to put on card in europe, japan, macau etc.
UFC should have at least one Japanese fighter in every division, especially for those now somewhat frequent trips to Tokyo. I think South Korea however are really making a name for themselves in MMA and UFC with so many new names from Korea fighting Saturday, looking forward to future Japan vs Korea match ups in the near future. Phone Post
2/24/13 7:45 PM
UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ImA2TimeLoser - 
Kostakio -
ImA2TimeLoser -
Bigfoot_REEMED_meOver - I heard that DanTheWolfman rolled with him once! Phone Post
Where do you think he learned his skill? Phone Post
Cold. Phone Post
Oh come on, that was funny Phone Post

I'm sure he meant to say Gold.

2/24/13 7:53 PM
Kostakio
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haha Phone Post
2/24/13 8:07 PM
tommypatron
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to see it Phone Post
2/26/13 9:33 AM
factchecker

Jay-dog -  I rolled with him once too. Then watched a bjj brown belt best him in a local tourney. He's transitioning well into mma now though. Would love to see him in Bellator Phone Post

Well, my source(NOT Ishii) tells me that it was only a sparring session in the style of matches between HMCwahiawa and CentralOahu Jiu-Jitsu. Pretty reliable source.

Was it a local tourney?

A while back I also read a Japanese MMA mag where the reporter pressed Ishii about this and Ishii himself said he thought it was only training.
2/26/13 9:47 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needs to try and fight a LHW more consistently
2/26/13 9:56 AM
Slapsymaxi
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought he was considered a flop in Japan?

Wasn't showing the 'warrior spirit' in MMA or something...?

Max Phone Post
2/26/13 10:18 AM
factchecker

Slapsymaxi -  I thought he was considered a flop in Japan?

Wasn't showing the 'warrior spirit' in MMA or something...?

Max Phone Post

Yes, he is grossly underrated, but it has nothing to do with his "warrior spirit." Japanese guys who like to use words like bushido or yamato damashi or samurai are usually losers(Note:this exludes Enson, because he is a Hawaiian of Japanese descent).
2/26/13 4:31 PM
Haulport

DO IT BJORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2/28/13 12:20 PM
Jay-dog

factchecker - 
Jay-dog -  I rolled with him once too. Then watched a bjj brown belt best him in a local tourney. He's transitioning well into mma now though. Would love to see him in Bellator Phone Post

Well, my source(NOT Ishii) tells me that it was only a sparring session in the style of matches between HMCwahiawa and CentralOahu Jiu-Jitsu. Pretty reliable source.

Was it a local tourney?

A while back I also read a Japanese MMA mag where the reporter pressed Ishii about this and Ishii himself said he thought it was only training.

That may be completely correct. Ishii may have viewed it as training. It was advertised as a small tourney between schools. His match was the last one kinda like a superfight type deal. People came to watch although it was a small crowd. I know he was training that same day at 24 hr fitness so he probably was just viewing it as training.
2/28/13 12:23 PM
Nexuscrawlers
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he would be a great addition to Bellator's roster.

2/28/13 1:56 PM
Haulport

Nexuscrawlers - 

I think so. I find WSOF to be rather hap hazard. I wish to GOD that OneFC would get their shit together and sign some world class talent and pit them against other world class talents on a regular basis...
2/28/13 2:10 PM
Nexuscrawlers
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport -
Nexuscrawlers - 

I think so. I find WSOF to be rather hap hazard. I wish to GOD that OneFC would get their shit together and sign some world class talent and pit them against other world class talents on a regular basis...
Agreed. At least Bellator has other Olympians and a clear model and format. The next biggest orgs seem much more disorganized and a weird mix of aging vets and young unknowns. Phone Post
2/28/13 2:26 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought he got his BJJ BB but may have been more of an honourary one? Not sure if he was good on the ground in his judo days? He's been doing MMA/subgrappling long enough that he should be pretty good now. That said, i wouldnt be suprised to see Mundial champs get launched by lesser comp in judo as well.
2/28/13 2:35 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im not sure if he is transitioning well to MMA though to be at an elite or top 10 MMA level. He's been training in MMA for few years now (2-3) and Im not sure he is close to mid UFC level. He seems to have all the right attributes: world class judo background, young, strong, tough minded geared for MMA, left a bright judo career for MMA meaning that he really wanted to pursue it at a young age as opposed to other gold medallists that chose to do it after retiring from judo. But who has he beaten so far?

I believe his bout with Filho was a draw and Filho is as good as it comes as a BJJ/MMA subgrappler but was kinda shot by that time and quite a bit smaller than Ishii. Ishii has the frame of a LHW but has been fighting at HW and LHW in MMA iirc. A lot of the Japanese 90/100/+100kg fighters are short and stocky. Ishii was not really even dominating the clinch with Filho which i was a bit disappointing.

So is he sticking with MMA? Where is he based now? I know he trained everywhere for a while, even in Brazil, etc so he def has the right attitude unlike the other Japanese fighters in training outside Japan but he hasnt seemed to have advanced at the rate of other top prospects coming out of US college wrestling for example.

A guy like Fukuda who has a wrestling base, decent hands, tough, good work rate and is training at AKA for a while also seems to be quite lack luster in the UFC. He looks to do many things right in setting up a good work rate with his hands, waiting for the right time to shoot, chooses good times to shoot, gets deep shoots but his td percentage is pretty bad.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.