UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> First powerlifting meet.

2/24/13 8:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Decided to go ahead and compete. I'll be competing raw, on may 18th in kentucky. Any tips? Phone Post
2/25/13 5:53 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depending on the size of the meet, I always brought food with me because it's a long day and you want your glycogen stores to be as full as possible when lifting. Phone Post
2/25/13 7:41 AM
Chocolate Shatner
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hint #1, open low. You can always bump up, and you just don't know exactly how you'll react to judges, etc.

Hint #2, just go in for the experience the first time. Worry about placements, PRs, etc the next time. If they happen, great. If not, just enjoy the experience.

Hint#3, pick brains (buffets are good for this). If you meet someone who knows more, is more knowledgeable, has connections you want, etc, ask. Powerlifters tend to be a weird, but tight knit bunch that will be willing to share info, especially if you share fried foods.
2/25/13 9:14 AM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alright so I'll bring extra food and try and give it to strong people in exchange for knowledge. Lol Phone Post
2/26/13 8:57 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make sure you are very aware of the rules and well practiced at following them.
3/1/13 5:52 AM
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second what shatner said.

I used to pick my opener with a weight I could easily do 3 reps with. 2nd attempt go for maybe 1 rm that I have hit in the gym, 3rd attempt go for 105% of 1rm max, if I feel really good I will go for 105% on my 2nd attempt, 110% on third.

Bring a shit ton of food.

Have fun.
3/1/13 6:09 AM
Leigh
948 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you have a coach?

My first one, coach made my opening pull my gym PB (200kg). Then jumped to 210 and then 220.

Point is, if you have a coach, listen to him. If not, what has been posted above is solid advice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.