UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> LOGO CONTEST! : Win a Training Mask 2.0 & Gear!

3/1/13 7:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some good stuff here guys. Phone Post
3/1/13 7:47 AM
Humphrey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tokoros haircut - Sorry but these type of "competitions" are extremely misguided at best and completely misunderstand what good graphic design is.

First you are not going to get something on a level professional enough that you really should be requiring for your business/promotions. This forum is a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs as can be seen by what's been posted above. It is not somewhere to go for actual graphic design

Secondly the notion of "Everyone design something, we'll pick the one we like best." Is like the people that say "I know what I want (even though I actually don't as I am not a designer) I just can't 'draw it' in Photoshop, you do it for me, and I'll give you some stuff." ..You are misunderstanding how good design works, where you provide a brief to a designer who's work you've researched and like, the trust them/work with them to come up with suitable concepts.

Go on dribbble.com, there are hundreds of talented reasonably priced designers that will do something 100 times better than you will get from these sorts of "competitions".

You claim to respect the UG, but this sort of thing disrespects graphic design, a profession that takes study and skill, and you will ultimately do yourself a disservice by ended up with something that looks unprofessional.

I entered the ATT design a t-shirt comp as I felt that came from the right place ie "make us a t design based on our logo"...But an actual redesign/re-branding is very different, you should rethink your strategy.

I do graphic design and hire vendors for logo/site design all the time that cost a fortune.

This is a smart way to get something for a very reasonable price and at the same time build a competition that's fun, and end up with a logo they'll work for them, and a fan that has graphic talent will end up with a fun package.

People that shit on these kind's of things suck worse than what they're trying to make the people starting the competitions do.

Just let them enjoy the process and get over yourself and the study and skill and disservice. it's a fun comp, for a small business to barter for goods.

Maybe you should go find a fortune 500 mma forum that will better suit your needs.
3/1/13 8:01 AM
tokoros haircut
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not surprised it's an unpopular opinion. Ultimately if you're basing a logo on something sourced from a competition you are shooting yourself in the foot, ie buy cheap buy twice. Or just have your product regarded as amateurish, it's not like that is uncommon in MMA anyway.

Saying that, good design isn't expensive at all when compared with other general business expenses, it just costs a bit more than a free t shirt and crappy training mask. It doesn't mean it's "a fortune". I wrote before all you have to do is check out dribbble or other design sites where actual professionals are, the difference in quality is night and day. Prices from young designers are very reasonable. Nothing on this thread and others I have seen really approaches basic competence and fundamental knowledge yet alone good quality.

You can get a logo off a fan forum just like you can go learn an arm-bar from your local ninjitsu master/mcdojo, it's a free world.
3/1/13 8:04 AM
sockeye
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
3/1/13 8:05 AM
Sinful1
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tokoros haircut - I obviously didn't explain my opinion very well. Please read this if you have the inclination:

http://www.davidairey.com/logo-design-contests-bad-for-business/

Read the article(some of it)
To answer the questions

1:How many questions were asked of the client?
0, didn't need to pretty self explanitory

2:How much research was conducted into the business holding the contest?
Not much, The have a website, you tube channel and facebook
Checked em all out

3:Was any brainstorming or sketching carried out?
Not really

4:How much time was spent on the project?
I dont remeber but heres a screen shot of my sub on this
amatuer software that I use to DRAW stuff.

(BTW I need someine to post it for me.)
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u534/morenod81/MMAWorldTourLogo_ScreenShot_zpsabaa22b0.jpg
3/1/13 8:08 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sinful1 - 
tokoros haircut - I obviously didn't explain my opinion very well. Please read this if you have the inclination:

http://www.davidairey.com/logo-design-contests-bad-for-business/

Read the article(some of it)
To answer the questions

1:How many questions were asked of the client?
0, didn't need to pretty self explanitory

2:How much research was conducted into the business holding the contest?
Not much, The have a website, you tube channel and facebook
Checked em all out

3:Was any brainstorming or sketching carried out?
Not really

4:How much time was spent on the project?
I dont remeber but heres a screen shot of my sub on this
amatuer software that I use to DRAW stuff.

(BTW I need someine to post it for me.)
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u534/morenod81/MMAWorldTourLogo_ScreenShot_zpsabaa22b0.jpg

3/1/13 8:47 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/1/13 9:06 AM
theringmaster
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys.

First off, sorry to offend the graphic design world. Just wanted to make the process fan-interactive. We've been posting our show on the UG for the last two years, and wanted to give an opportunity to our favorite critics.

We have a great spot on Fight Now TV, but we are by no means Inside MMA level. That meaning, we still operate on a small budget. Our show provides a service to the international community, that NO other show does. We have a niche.

So yeah, it's just a Training Mask & gear, but I'm sure somebody will appreciate it. Most posters flex their creativity for nothing here, so this is something.

I want to thank everyone for posting their designs and submitting to us at mmainsidethecage@gmail.com

We will make some decisions and announce our winner late tonight or early tomorrow. Until then, keep creating. Thanks guys.

Cyrus Fees
Owner/Host, MMA: Inside the Cage/MMA World Tour
3/1/13 9:18 AM
12SixElbow

3/1/13 9:27 AM
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tokoros haircut - We're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not surprised it's an unpopular opinion. Ultimately if you're basing a logo on something sourced from a competition you are shooting yourself in the foot, ie buy cheap buy twice. Or just have your product regarded as amateurish, it's not like that is uncommon in MMA anyway.

Saying that, good design isn't expensive at all when compared with other general business expenses, it just costs a bit more than a free t shirt and crappy training mask. It doesn't mean it's "a fortune". I wrote before all you have to do is check out dribbble or other design sites where actual professionals are, the difference in quality is night and day. Prices from young designers are very reasonable. Nothing on this thread and others I have seen really approaches basic competence and fundamental knowledge yet alone good quality.

You can get a logo off a fan forum just like you can go learn an arm-bar from your local ninjitsu master/mcdojo, it's a free world.
Damn I thought you were trolling. Cudo's for having an unpopular opinion and expressing is in a respectful manner. Very unUG like. Voted up when i get to a computer. Phone Post
3/1/13 11:50 AM
caseharts
405 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JCSUPERMAN -
caseharts - 

Great Job! VTFU

Thanks man Phone Post
3/1/13 1:00 PM
dMo

Ha ha I think I got voted down for potentially voting torkos haircut up. This is a funny place. Phone Post
3/1/13 1:07 PM
caseharts
405 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dMo -
tokoros haircut - We're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not surprised it's an unpopular opinion. Ultimately if you're basing a logo on something sourced from a competition you are shooting yourself in the foot, ie buy cheap buy twice. Or just have your product regarded as amateurish, it's not like that is uncommon in MMA anyway.

Damn I thought you were trolling. Cudo's for having an unpopular opinion and expressing is in a respectful manner. Very unUG like. Voted up when i get to a computer. Phone Post
Several of us on here that do design work on elance as well. Just because we're willing to enter a contests doesn't mean we suck. It's definitely a hobby for me but there are pro level guys here plenty. Phone Post
3/1/13 1:27 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, someone asks for a bit of help and offers a bunch of rewards.. and plenty of ppl bitch and moan. The reason why this forum is as great as it is... is because its a proper community ... if you just crash a thread and complain... you should calm your conflict starting attitude right down.. Phone Post
3/1/13 1:30 PM
dMo

caseharts -
dMo -

Several of us on here that do design work on elance as well. Just because we're willing to enter a contests doesn't mean we suck. It's definitely a hobby for me but there are pro level guys here plenty. Phone Post
Seen plenty of your work here. It's obvious many of you are pros. You guys are part of what makes this place fun. Phone Post
3/1/13 1:34 PM
caseharts

dMo -
caseharts -
dMo -

Seen plenty of your work here. It's obvious many of you are pros. You guys are part of what makes this place fun. Phone Post
I meant to quote the guy above you. But thanks man. There really are some great artists and designers here Not everyone makes a career out of it though. Just because my business card doesn't say pro graphic designer doesn't mean anything. Phone Post
3/1/13 1:35 PM
caseharts

WelshWarrior - Damn, someone asks for a bit of help and offers a bunch of rewards.. and plenty of ppl bitch and moan. The reason why this forum is as great as it is... is because its a proper community ... if you just crash a thread and complain... you should calm your conflict starting attitude right down.. Phone Post
Welsh power Phone Post
3/1/13 3:28 PM
12SixElbow

caseharts should win.

3/1/13 3:31 PM
JCSUPERMAN
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 

Nice and simple,I like it..VU

3/1/13 3:31 PM
caseharts

3/1/13 3:32 PM
caseharts

12SixElbow - 

caseharts should win.

thanks man I can only hope

3/1/13 3:40 PM
MagSlim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is going to come off way more negative than it's meant to be but you'd garner a lot more respectability if you'd shave your fucking beard.

Just my .02 from someone who has watched some of your stuff.
3/1/13 4:00 PM
12SixElbow

JCSUPERMAN - 
12SixElbow - 

Thanks man!

3/1/13 4:07 PM
caseharts

12SixElbow - 
JCSUPERMAN - 
12SixElbow - 

Thanks man!

what did u use to make this one?

3/1/13 4:09 PM
12SixElbow

I only have Photoshop CS3.

Sometimes my lame ass even uses paint for certain things.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.