UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nobody is pointing out the contradiction of Dana

2/25/13 12:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He says it's his job to put on the fights the fans want to see.

He says he wants more than anything, to put on a superfight between Anderson Silva and Jon Jones.

Yet when it comes to Rhonda Rousey vs Cyborg?

Ronda used to fight at 145, I believe half or close to half of her pro fights have been at 145. Nobody would do a bigger draw than Ronda vs Cyborg. I know they're not in the same division, but neither are Anderson and Jones.

Ronda has fought at 145 more times than Anderson Silva has fought at 205.

Superfight. It should've happened.

2/25/13 12:13 AM
jason73
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its hard to make a superfight for someone who has only had 1 fight in the ufc vs someone with zero fights in the ufc coming off a suspension
2/25/13 12:13 AM
JBASS
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/25/13 12:14 AM

I think the Silva/Jones and Cyborg/Rousey situations are a bit chalk and cheese. The reason for this is the women's division being so new to the UFC IMO. It's hard to have a super-fight when there hasn't even been a single fight within the division (with the exception of yesterday's fight). 

2/25/13 12:24 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Nobody's pointing it out because its not a contradiction. They are not even close to similar. Main stream has no idea who Cyborg is other than the recent attention as a side effect of yesterdays press coverage. Phone Post
2/25/13 12:31 AM
da Vinci 81
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A women's superfight?? Sorry that doesn't exist yet.
2/25/13 12:39 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a lot of reasons to be honest, but I think the prevailing one is that not too many people know who Cyborg is, but yet she'd probably beat Ronda.

While I also think that Jones would beat Andy, it's not the same scenario because Anderson is a proven commodity and a win over him would do wonders for Jones' starpower.  They're trying to push Jones as the future of MMA, and they're not trying to do that with Cyborg.

2/25/13 12:58 AM
Phisher

Edited: 02/25/13 1:00 AM

Nobody outside of harcore MMA fans knows who the fuck Cyborg is, and it's only a small subset of hardcores who desperately want to see Rousey lose that are clamoring for the fight.

2/25/13 1:02 AM
Wasa-B
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I would like to see Ronda/Cyborg as well, Ronda's got a ways to go to establish herself at 135 as Andy has done at 185 and i also believe if that if you want to fight the champ, you go to his/her weight.

Im all for super fights as well but i think it could wait as Ronda is still a new champ at 135 and they could build it up after some time. I think it will, i think they will have plans too but its too early now and i dont think Ronda should have to go up to 145 at this point. I dont think Anderson HAS to fight Jones at 205 anymore than i dont think GSP HAS to fight Andy at 185.

Did they ever talk about a 140 catch weight for Ronda/Cyborg? Again though, Ronda is still a new champ, super fights usually come at a point where 2 established champs at their weights have cleaned out their divs or come close to.

And....are we really in need of pointing out Dana's contradictions at this point? Not saying you dont have a point here and all.
2/25/13 1:18 AM
Thacommish
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"He says it's his job to put on the fights the fans want to see.

He says he wants more than anything, to put on a superfight between Anderson Silva and Jon Jones."

Hell your post couldve ended there
2/25/13 1:24 AM
voorhees

Dana White is a cocky fanboy who lucked his way into his personal dream job.

He isnt any more savvy,intelligent or fair than you or me.

He makes knee-jerk decisions/reactions day in and day out based on how he is feeling that day,what he thinks of said fighter and takes tons of business matters very personal.

I dont think he is a bad guy,but when he does something I dont think is right,I am not surprised.
2/25/13 1:54 AM
Brian J DSouza

Everyone knows the game: As long as fighters agree to contractual terms favorable to the UFC, Dana puts on fights.

No contradiciton there. All promoters are self-interested.

2/25/13 1:55 AM
NorthFromHere
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
da Vinci 81 - A women's superfight?? Sorry that doesn't exist yet.

This
2/25/13 1:56 AM
D241

jason73 - its hard to make a superfight for someone who has only had 1 fight in the ufc vs someone with zero fights in the ufc coming off a suspension

his price tag was 500k. Cyborg would be much cheaper, and she has way more mma credentials.

2/25/13 1:59 AM
UGCKIRTT_SonofJockstrap
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't put the finale and blow your load at the beginning of a movie, it's the same concept here.

The UFC was willing to pay Cyborg to stay in the cage in Invicta while they sorted out a 145 pound division and build the credibility and establish the 135 pound division.

Ronda 5-0 in the UFC moving up to face 3-0 in the UFC Cyborg sells better than 1-0 or 0-0 Ronda vs 0-0 Cyborg.

2/25/13 2:00 AM
D241

I'm not yet convinced guys.

PLEASE keep on trying to convince me why Ronda vs Cyborg is not a good fight and why fans shouldn't want to see it.  

I"ll listen.

2/25/13 2:08 AM
CT81
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How are people not getting this? Unless they fight at 135 there can't be a fight. It's the only division that exists in the ufc. Think about what would happen if they fought at a catch weight and cyborg won. Rousey would still be the 135 champ but it would be devalued and cyborg would have no other fights since she's in a division that doesn't exist in the ufc Phone Post
2/25/13 2:09 AM
circulation123

If Cyborg is off the juice, I believe she can make 135 but then her power won’t be the same.

There is no contradiction here. Listen to Dana touch on this topic on UFC 157 Q&A. He is trying to get 135 WMMA division established before he can even think about 145 WMMA divisions. That’s why Dana offered to let Cyborg fight at Invicta.

Cyborg vs. Rousey isn’t the same as GSP vs. Anderson or JJ vs. Anderson. He is still in the process of getting WMMA established.

2/25/13 2:36 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God Bless Tim Tebow - Cyborg is a nobody, yet her and Carano was a huge fight.

All these fucking excuses from you faggots make me sick.

I wanna see Cyborg smash Ronda as bad as you, but I do get why they're not making the fight. 

2/25/13 2:54 AM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the reality is if people pointed out the contradictions of Dana the internet would run out of server drive space!
2/25/13 3:01 AM
xXJayRobXx
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - A women's superfight?? Sorry that doesn't exist yet.
This. People need to stop throwing around the term superfight. There are only 3 potential super fights right now. Silva vs Jones, GSP vs Silva and Jones vs Cain. They are all champs in there respective weight classes and they are all considered as close to untouchable as a fighter can get. Phone Post
2/25/13 3:03 AM
andyman011

Dana has said already, there can be not catch weight, there's only one weight division Phone Post
2/25/13 1:49 PM
D241

CT81 -  How are people not getting this? Unless they fight at 135 there can't be a fight. It's the only division that exists in the ufc. Think about what would happen if they fought at a catch weight and cyborg won. Rousey would still be the 135 champ but it would be devalued and cyborg would have no other fights since she's in a division that doesn't exist in the ufc Phone Post

If Anderson fought GSP at 178, whoever lost would still be the champion.

And whoever lost would still do well in ppv #s their next ppv.

2/25/13 1:53 PM
D241

andyman011 -  Dana has said already, there can be not catch weight, there's only one weight division Phone Post

Do you know if Dana said they could do a superfight....they could DO a superfight?

You guys that stick up for this fight not happening disgust me.

Would YOU be interested in Cyborg vs Ronda? Overwelming Y-E-S

Has Dana said in the past, that it is his job to put on fights the people want to see? Y-E-S

Maybe I'm wrong in this way of thinking, but if Ronda fought Cyborg abover her weight class and lost, people would still view her as the 135lb champion, and UFC could still market and grow the 135lb division.

There's a 50% chance Ronda loses. Even if she does, that doesn't break the womends division.

2/25/13 1:53 PM
puppet
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are things we don't know about the deal. All this drama is wrestling. It will happen Dana and Tito know this. Phone Post
2/25/13 2:46 PM
D241

willienugget - Why blow your wad with the most epic matchup conceivable when you don't have to and the world isn't ready to pony up to see? They needed Rousey vs whoever to get this ball rolling.

Wrong. They didn't need Cyborg to get the ball rolling, however Cyborg vs Rousey is what most fight fans would've preferred instead of Rousey vs Carmouche.

This is my problem with UFC. They don't need to make the most popular wanted match ups to make money. UFC can put on other match ups, and still make money. 

It's become too much about the bottom line instead of quality product. I'm not surprised, it's the way Corporate America operates, but from something I've been watching before it was mainstream, it still is hard for me to swallow.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.