UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kevin Iole: UFC 157 over 400K PPV buys

2/25/13 9:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyannVonReemjob - 
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
Korpiklaani - awsome news without rhonda it would have been 150 maybe 200k buys max

Agreed.  Pretty much everything that comes out of her mouth annoys the fuck out of me, but she's an absolute stud when it comes to her PPV drawing power.

To be fair, we don't know that yet. 

True, but by all accounts she seems like a top 6 or 7 PPV draw in the UFC, male or female.

2/25/13 9:15 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to give Ronda credit, I am genuinely interested in WMMA now.

2/25/13 9:19 PM
BudmademeWeiser
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just curious, what are the ppv numbers with a prime time vs ones that aren't. I feel like the ppvs with prime times tend to do better #s. Phone Post
2/25/13 9:31 PM
part_time_lurker
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Architect -  I'm glad the numbers are good, and hope it's indicative of the interest in Rousey and women in the UFC, in general.

But... isn't it possible that this event would have sold half those numbers without someone like Hendo, coming off a fight of the year followed by a long layout during which time he was marketed to fight for the belt, fighting a Forbes belt holder in Machida?

If the co-main would have been Bader v Gustafson, for example, is it possible this event would have sole 250k instead?

...just throwing that out there for some feedback. Phone Post

I watched it with a bunch of casuals and they kept calling it the PPV with the two chicks fighting...
2/25/13 9:32 PM
part_time_lurker
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Van Terminator - It's incredible that a women's headlock contest drew twice as much interest as Bendo vs. Edgar. This planet is the worst.

Then don't let us stop you from removing yourself from it.
2/25/13 9:33 PM
Publicnoose
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nucky -

Surely wasn't because Hendo vs Machida!...

Lol so true Phone Post
2/25/13 9:40 PM
UGSlapshot

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Leck Brosnar - I wonder how all the haters are gonna spin this

LOL at you thinking it was because of WMMA.  The UFC sells because it's the UFC.  If they put that much promotion into Leonard Garcia vs Clay Guida as a main event, it would sell. 

Good exposure for WMMA and Ronda though.

Looks like you got an answer lol. Phone Post
2/25/13 11:05 PM
RKing85
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If true (and I will wait for Meltzer's number), I feel pretty safe in saying that's still less than what the UFC thought it was going to do.

And all credit will be given to Ronda. No credit at all will be given to Faber, Henderson, and Machida.
2/26/13 12:58 AM
Haulport

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Chris27 - 
Frank Gallagher - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

LOL at you thinking it was because of WMMA.  The UFC sells because it's the UFC.  If they put that much promotion into Leonard Garcia vs Clay Guida as a main event, it would sell. 

Bad spin Phone Post

Exactly.

Fucking people like that make me sick, you were fucking wrong, be a man and admit it, sack up.

LOL

Dana:  Hate for women  in sports 'sickening.'

Posters on UG who can't think for themselves:  People like that make me sick.

Chris27 is a known Zuffa SHILL.

He's the fucking MSNBC of MMA.........
2/26/13 7:35 AM
Wicked smahtMF

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

And I'm not hating on WMMA.  I was one of the $400K that bought the event.  But do you disagree that it was a heavily promoted event and do you disagree that many buy the UFC because it's the UFC?  Do you think Ronda would have the same following if she headlined a WSOF event?

yes many do buy every ppv no matter what id assume but not 400,000 obv. even amongst those with comparable promo its a solid #
2/26/13 8:06 AM
MMAjustice

Is 400,000 buys good?

Didn't UFC 100 do 1,600,000 buys?

I always thought that 1mil buys was the benchmark for good ppv numbers... but I don't really know that is just what I gathered from reading things here.
2/26/13 8:16 AM
UFCUKSTYLE

After all the new fans watching this I think this could beat Silva vs Sonnen I.
2/26/13 8:19 AM
dangerboy12
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAjustice - Is 400,000 buys good?

I always thought that 1mil buys was the benchmark for good ppv numbers... but I don't really know that is just what I gathered from reading things here.

It's good considering the skepticism lots of people, including myself had.

It might not be good considering the marketing effort, but I'm not sure this UFC was any more heavily marketed than other UFC's that had lower buy rates. It seemed to have more marketing, especially with special appearances.

2/26/13 8:39 AM
GarlicSauce

You're all missing the point.

The UFC went all out to promote this fight, unlike just about anything else they've ever done. If anything, these numbers are too low compared to the effort the UFC put in.

Now, good on Ronda and Liz. Great fight and I wish them and WMMA success. The real question: will people keep buying WMMA-headlined events in the future? Or just this one time becuase of the heavy promotion and to see WMMA's first UFC fight?

Will the novelty wear off?

We'll see.
2/26/13 9:05 AM
Authority Figure

GarlicSauce - You're all missing the point.

The UFC went all out to promote this fight, unlike just about anything else they've ever done. If anything, these numbers are too low compared to the effort the UFC put in.

Now, good on Ronda and Liz. Great fight and I wish them and WMMA success. The real question: will people keep buying WMMA-headlined events in the future? Or just this one time becuase of the heavy promotion and to see WMMA's first UFC fight?

We'll see.

What novelty? Women have been practicing and competing in martial arts competition in western countries for over five decades. lol

We'll see? Every Strikeforce show that was headlined by women did great numbers. Invicta broke two major streaming services. 

We've already seen. WMMA is going to do just fine. 

Some fans just have to decide if they would rather be left behind.

2/26/13 9:16 AM
Willin
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure -
GarlicSauce - You're all missing the point.

We'll see.

What novelty? Women have been practicing and competing in martial arts competition in western countries for over five decades. lol

We'll see? Every Strikeforce show that was headlined by women did great numbers. Invicta broke two major streaming services. 

We've already seen. WMMA is going to do just fine. 

Some fans just have to decide if they would rather be left behind.

At the very least the UFC has a solid co-main event buffer with WMMA which they can use to enhance their promotional materials, posters, etc. Phone Post
2/26/13 9:48 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

in the current PPV climate anything north of 350K for that card would have been nice, FRB saying it might have hit 600K+, if that's the case, she's on par with GSP/Chael/Anderson/Jones.

the days of 1 million buys might be behind us, excluding super fights.

2/26/13 10:32 AM
Card
2027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meltzer's - 

Over 400,000....they're absolutely thrilled. The show, it was...they had predicted 250. Budgeted 250, I shouldn't say predicted. But I mean, the predictions internally were 250-300. So they blew away their predictions, big time. It's..uh..yeah..it's not as big as I've seen some numbers floating around, it wasn't THAT big, but if you think about what all things considered it was enormous. It was a huge success. Actually, the reality is that it was probably...there was a very good chance that the promotion of Rousey was TOO successful because she's been offered a role in the next...whatever it is...the next Hunger Games movie that they're going to film. And once that happens it's like...you know, who knows? She's making a lot of money fighting, I don't know what those numbers are going to be when they come out when they're released. But she's making a tonof money. They signed her to a hell of a contract because they really did believe...not necessarily that she'd be this giant PPV draw, but in other ways she'd be incredibly valuable to the company. And so far she has turned out to be more valuable than they expected.

2/26/13 10:57 AM
Wicked smahtMF

i think most who pay attention to ppv #s would say that you have to separate lesnar and post-lesnar era figures. pre and post-Brock #s one million buys is astronomical. any card doing 500,000 outside the BL era is considered a great showing. thats with a sig star presence on the main card. 200+/- is going to be avg. every day 1 star main card. loaded cards often on new years or CD, etc with multiple title fights and all stars on MC + maybe a mc fighter on under = 500,00 is expected and anything less would be disappointing
2/26/13 10:59 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eagleswhat1 - Iole is an idiot...there were 400k pre orders the morning of.....800k easy

2/26/13 11:00 AM
ShakeR_

Yes, 8% of GR is incredibly high, and I can almost guarantee you she did not make that.

When you're talking revenue before expenses, anything over 4% is nuts.

To put some perspective on it: Amazon has a 0.6% operating margin. This means that for every $100 in sales, $0.60 is profit. This is an extreme example and I'm sure UFC runs at much higher margins, but don't be foolish enough to think that it's 40 or even 30%. Phone Post
2/26/13 11:09 AM
Cyril Jeff

eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - Iole is an idiot...there were 400k pre orders the morning of.....800k easy

so if I'm right I get a blue name for a year????

sure, if UFC did 800K PPVs, I will buy you a blue-name (1yr), if it did less than 800K, you get a 1yr SN change, deal?

2/26/13 11:22 AM
kevsh
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CagePotato - 

Ha, +1.

400k is more than twice what Edgar vs. Henderson 2 did. Awesome showing for Ronda, if true. Now let's see if they can sustain interest in her beyond novelty value...

Doubtful. Again, how many times are people going to pay to see her armbar an anonymous opponent in the first?

This isn't "spinning elbows and standing chokeholds" JBJ or "Hey, look I'm Neo from the Matrix" Silva or eveb "how fast is he going to KO this guy" Mike Tyson. This is a woman who armbars opponents, every fight, first round.

Secondly, just like their debuts in any city, it's huge. Second visit? Not so much. Same goes for Rousey, next time she'll get nowhere near the mainstream media attention and the hype will be gone. Could be wrong, we'll see.
2/26/13 11:33 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

No, 400k is solid for this weak card. Ronda pushed these numbers from 250k without her to close to 500 with her
2/26/13 11:34 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Barbasol -  Just from watching normal TV I didn't think it was promoted more than any other event. I had to remind my wife that my Saturday was planned out. She usually knows event dates better than me. Phone Post

Depends what you watch, it wasn't all over the commercials but I saw Ronda on Conan and Leno and Showtime sports a cpl times.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.