UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kevin Iole: UFC 157 over 400K PPV buys

2/26/13 12:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PrettyBoy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyril Jeff -
MMAjustice - Is 400,000 buys good?

Didn't UFC 100 do 1,600,000 buys?

I always thought that 1mil buys was the benchmark for good ppv numbers... but I don't really know that is just what I gathered from reading things here.

in the current PPV climate anything north of 350K for that card would have been nice, FRB saying it might have hit 600K+, if that's the case, she's on par with GSP/Chael/Anderson/Jones.

the days of 1 million buys might be behind us, excluding super fights.

Floyd Mayweather laughs at this posts. Phone Post
2/26/13 1:04 PM
JOESONDO
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hendofanforlife - 
ShakeR_ -  Yes, 8% of GR is incredibly high, and I can almost guarantee you she did not make that.

When you're talking revenue before expenses, anything over 4% is nuts.

To put some perspective on it: Amazon has a 0.6% operating margin. This means that for every $100 in sales, $0.60 is profit. This is an extreme example and I'm sure UFC runs at much higher margins, but don't be foolish enough to think that it's 40 or even 30%. Phone Post

So you're comparing profits in a publicly traded online retail to a privately held ppv sport? Lol. Tard. See folks, this is what happens when you pull numbers out of your ass

What is a comparable business model then? I have worked with quite of number of businesses over the years and no company I have encountered, except pharmaceuticals, has anything approaching a 20% margin. Most event companies operate with a 3-5% margin. Even small business like catering companies generally operate with a 10% margin and that typically goes down with the size of the company.

I think I read somewhere the PPV cut of a few fighters is 1-3% depending on the number of buys. Still equals a solid number.
2/26/13 1:22 PM
Gullivers Travels
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They also received a ton of exposure through HBO, CNN and other major outlets that will not sustain.
2/26/13 2:26 PM
KingOfFighters
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knippz - I dunno why anyone wouldn't accept WMMA in the UFC or them headlining a card when they're the only championship fight. I enjoyed the main event as much as I would have any other. The fact that they were women became irrelevant to me once the fight started, as they truly brought it and put on a great fight.

Because WMMA isn't watching MMA fought at the highest levels? It's a waste of a slot, takes the place over a potential high level fight. They should be on the prelims, or their championship fight on facebook or something.
2/26/13 2:48 PM
Chris27

Haulport - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Chris27 - 
Frank Gallagher - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Leck Brosnar - I wonder how all the haters are gonna spin this

LOL at you thinking it was because of WMMA.  The UFC sells because it's the UFC.  If they put that much promotion into Leonard Garcia vs Clay Guida as a main event, it would sell. 

Good exposure for WMMA and Ronda though.

Bad spin Phone Post

Exactly.

Fucking people like that make me sick, you were fucking wrong, be a man and admit it, sack up.

LOL

Dana:  Hate for women  in sports 'sickening.'

Posters on UG who can't think for themselves:  People like that make me sick.

Chris27 is a known Zuffa SHILL.

He's the fucking MSNBC of MMA.........

Dam Haulport you aint blue no more?

Honest to god the other day I posted something and saw the points next to my name an wondered what was going on, then I saw you werent blue and I figured it out.

This fucking guy every single day would search out a thread of mine to vote it down, every single day. You're a clown, you would show up in a thread like just here to deliver my daily vote downs to everyone I dont like.

Thats sad dude.

2/26/13 2:54 PM
Haulport

Chris27 - 
Haulport - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Chris27 - 
Frank Gallagher - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Leck Brosnar - I wonder how all the haters are gonna spin this

LOL at you thinking it was because of WMMA.  The UFC sells because it's the UFC.  If they put that much promotion into Leonard Garcia vs Clay Guida as a main event, it would sell. 

Good exposure for WMMA and Ronda though.

Bad spin Phone Post

Exactly.

Fucking people like that make me sick, you were fucking wrong, be a man and admit it, sack up.

LOL

Dana:  Hate for women  in sports 'sickening.'

Posters on UG who can't think for themselves:  People like that make me sick.

Chris27 is a known Zuffa SHILL.

He's the fucking MSNBC of MMA.........

Dam Haulport you aint blue no more?

Honest to god the other day I posted something and saw the points next to my name an wondered what was going on, then I saw you werent blue and I figured it out.

This fucking guy every single day would search out a thread of mine to vote it down, every single day. You're a clown, you would show up in a thread like just here to deliver my daily vote downs to everyone I dont like.

Thats sad dude.

That is a lie, which is expected from someone like you. I never search you out and I only vote people down when they say really stupid shit.

Go ahead and ask Kirik a list of my vote downs if you think there is a problem. At that point you can stfu because what you are saying is completely stupid and incorrect.

I couldn't care less about you beyond occasionally running into your shill posts and commenting on them. Don't flatter yourself buddy...
2/26/13 3:14 PM
JLFoster

This Is a Good Sign.com, Hand Of The King
Leck Brosnar - I wonder how all the haters are gonna spin this
Dana bought 399k personally Phone Post
2/26/13 3:19 PM
GaryColeman

You are an idiot if you believe these figures... Given the UFC's history with lying about PPV numbers, the response of people on these forums and the fact that the bar I went to to watch the card was a ghost town for the first time ever, I call bullshit. Phone Post
2/26/13 3:34 PM
whoabro

hendofanforlife -
ShakeR_ -  Yes, 8% of GR is incredibly high, and I can almost guarantee you she did not make that.

To put some perspective on it: Amazon has a 0.6% operating margin. This means that for every $100 in sales, $0.60 is profit. This is an extreme example and I'm sure UFC runs at much higher margins, but don't be foolish enough to think that it's 40 or even 30%. Phone Post

So you're comparing profits in a publicly traded online retail to a privately held ppv sport? Lol. Tard. See folks, this is what happens when you pull numbers out of your ass
His point is valid, which is that operating margins are way way slimmer than people think, and 8% of gross rev is absolutely insane. Phone Post
2/26/13 3:41 PM
GaryColeman

Othello -
GaryColeman -  You are an idiot if you believe these figures... Given the UFC's history with lying about PPV numbers, the response of people on these forums and the fact that the bar I went to to watch the card was a ghost town for the first time ever, I call bullshit. Phone Post

The UFC never releases their own PPV numbers. How exactly do they lie about something they don't talk about?
Dana White always makes ridiculous claims of PPV buys. Phone Post
2/26/13 4:00 PM
Lasko
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put her on a card that isn't already pretty stacked, then you'll find out what her drawing power is; or if they promoted it at the same level as other cards. Until then they're not comparing apples to apples and the number is meaningless in terms of comparison with other events. To put it in more obvious terms:

Wait a minute Dana White, are you saying that a card and a headliner that you promoted more than basically any other card and headliner did really well and now you're saying "I told you so"? No shit Dana.
2/26/13 4:02 PM
New Leaf 1.0

lot of butt hurt bigots on this thread.
2/26/13 4:06 PM
New Leaf 1.0

whoabro - 
hendofanforlife -

His point is valid, which is that operating margins are way way slimmer than people think, and 8% of gross rev is absolutely insane. Phone Post

8% of GR is NOT insane.
It isn't 8% of GR anyway.

UFC's profit margin is really BIG.
2/26/13 4:18 PM
JOESONDO
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New Leaf 1.0 - 
whoabro - 
hendofanforlife -

8% of GR is NOT insane.

Where are you getting your info and what do you consider to be "BIG"?
2/26/13 4:23 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - Iole is an idiot...there were 400k pre orders the morning of.....800k easy

so if I'm right I get a blue name for a year????

sure, if UFC did 800K PPVs, I will buy you a blue-name (1yr), if it did less than 800K, you get a 1yr SN change, deal?

make it 725k and you have a deal

DONE.

2/26/13 4:28 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - Iole is an idiot...there were 400k pre orders the morning of.....800k easy

so if I'm right I get a blue name for a year????

sure, if UFC did 800K PPVs, I will buy you a blue-name (1yr), if it did less than 800K, you get a 1yr SN change, deal?

make it 725k and you have a deal

DONE.

ruh-roh, from Meltzer:

"A variety of other sources also indicated very early numbers indicated UFC 157 topping 400,000 buys, perhaps significantly. There was also some conjecture that strong word-of-mouth from the show could significantly increase the number with late buys."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/2/26/4032094/early-ufc-157-pay-per-view-numbers-women-fight-card-mma-news

that's a lot of ground to make up, fren

2/26/13 4:31 PM
slamming

LOL at thinking it did 725k. Yeah ok buddy!
2/26/13 4:42 PM
MMA Architect
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

part_time_lurker -
MMA Architect -  I'm glad the numbers are good, and hope it's indicative of the interest in Rousey and women in the UFC, in general.

But... isn't it possible that this event would have sold half those numbers without someone like Hendo, coming off a fight of the year followed by a long layout during which time he was marketed to fight for the belt, fighting a Forbes belt holder in Machida?

If the co-main would have been Bader v Gustafson, for example, is it possible this event would have sole 250k instead?

...just throwing that out there for some feedback. Phone Post

I watched it with a bunch of casuals and they kept calling it the PPV with the two chicks fighting...
interesting, thanks Phone Post
2/26/13 4:46 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

New Leaf 1.0 - 
whoabro - 
hendofanforlife -

8% of GR is NOT insane.

I made the initial comment about 8% of GRs being steep, so I'll respond to this.

1. You have absolutely NO IDEA what their profit margin is So stop talking out of your ass.

2. I have no idea if the PPV revs are split 50/50 with distributors. That was something that I read in Businessweek, however other people are claiming that this "split" is not the same for all distributors. I have no idea if this is true or not so I can't dispute that.

3. 8% of gross revenues is HUGE. You have to remember the UFC still has millions to pay in marketing, booking the venue, the overhead of the entire event and organization, not to mention the fighter purses. Offering 8% of GRs to one fighter, particularly on their debut fight seems pretty steep. We have no idea how the cost structure of the UFC is, so we're basing all of this knowledge off of other businesses.

2/26/13 4:48 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Giving her credit for Machida's massive drawing power is lame.
2/26/13 4:53 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

New Leaf 1.0 - 
HOLLYWOOD-MO - 
Ghost of Retard - 

If she gets a ppv cut she just earned her first million$ paycheck.

Even if he just gave her 2$ a buy, that's 800k,  and you know she got more than that.

PPV = $50
Split 50/50 with distributors (cable company, directv, etc).

2/25 = %08 of GRs? That's pretty steep.

I think it's $60 actually and PPV $ usually start after a certain number of buys. Also, not all of their distributors are getting anywhere near 50% and 8% of GR isn't high.

BTW, I like how you pretend that you know their cost structure.... You're not even certain of the PPV price, but you know the internal contracts between the UFC and PPV distributors! lol

PPV Price

SD = $44.95
HD = $54.95
2/26/13 4:57 PM
Chris27

So it looks like

UFC 156 did 1.9 mill FX prelims, 300-350k PPV buys

UFC 157 did 1.3 mill FX prelims, 450k PPV buys

2/26/13 5:17 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
512 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder the number zuffa was shooting for. And it would be nice if they put half or even a quarter the promotion for this event into some of their other ppvs. Phone Post
2/26/13 6:32 PM
hendofanforlife
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOESONDO - 
hendofanforlife - 

What is a comparable business model then? I have worked with quite of number of businesses over the years and no company I have encountered, except pharmaceuticals, has anything approaching a 20% margin. Most event companies operate with a 3-5% margin. Even small business like catering companies generally operate with a 10% margin and that typically goes down with the size of the company.

I think I read somewhere the PPV cut of a few fighters is 1-3% depending on the number of buys. Still equals a solid number.

How about you break down the grosses earned by pbf. To see that one ppv star can be worth.
2/26/13 7:41 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's some truth that it was Rousey who sold a good chunk and not necessarily WMMA in general. I also think that Zuffa did do a little more to advertise this event than normal. Plus, there may be a bit of curiosity factor in wanting to see what WMMA was all about for a few people.

Still, anyway you slice it 400k+ is a strong PPV. Let's not forget that at one point even a lot of male fighters were a big draw until guys like Tito and Chuck came along, and even today some events with male fighters barely break half that amount. If the UFC is diligent and the women keep putting on good fights, their place in the sport should grow. If they could get Gina Carano back and have her fight Rousey it would probably do as well or better than UFC 157 did. As the skill of female MMA fighters improves, if they keep coming to fight which they seem to do even more than the men, then their place in the sport should be secure and grow.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.