UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kevin Iole: UFC 157 over 400K PPV buys

2/26/13 5:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GayGuardMooseSaucy
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder the number zuffa was shooting for. And it would be nice if they put half or even a quarter the promotion for this event into some of their other ppvs. Phone Post
2/26/13 6:32 PM
hendofanforlife
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOESONDO - 
hendofanforlife - 
ShakeR_ -  Yes, 8% of GR is incredibly high, and I can almost guarantee you she did not make that.

When you're talking revenue before expenses, anything over 4% is nuts.

To put some perspective on it: Amazon has a 0.6% operating margin. This means that for every $100 in sales, $0.60 is profit. This is an extreme example and I'm sure UFC runs at much higher margins, but don't be foolish enough to think that it's 40 or even 30%. Phone Post

So you're comparing profits in a publicly traded online retail to a privately held ppv sport? Lol. Tard. See folks, this is what happens when you pull numbers out of your ass

What is a comparable business model then? I have worked with quite of number of businesses over the years and no company I have encountered, except pharmaceuticals, has anything approaching a 20% margin. Most event companies operate with a 3-5% margin. Even small business like catering companies generally operate with a 10% margin and that typically goes down with the size of the company.

I think I read somewhere the PPV cut of a few fighters is 1-3% depending on the number of buys. Still equals a solid number.

How about you break down the grosses earned by pbf. To see that one ppv star can be worth.
2/26/13 7:41 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's some truth that it was Rousey who sold a good chunk and not necessarily WMMA in general. I also think that Zuffa did do a little more to advertise this event than normal. Plus, there may be a bit of curiosity factor in wanting to see what WMMA was all about for a few people.

Still, anyway you slice it 400k+ is a strong PPV. Let's not forget that at one point even a lot of male fighters were a big draw until guys like Tito and Chuck came along, and even today some events with male fighters barely break half that amount. If the UFC is diligent and the women keep putting on good fights, their place in the sport should grow. If they could get Gina Carano back and have her fight Rousey it would probably do as well or better than UFC 157 did. As the skill of female MMA fighters improves, if they keep coming to fight which they seem to do even more than the men, then their place in the sport should be secure and grow.
2/26/13 7:51 PM
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy -  I wonder the number zuffa was shooting for. And it would be nice if they put half or even a quarter the promotion for this event into some of their other ppvs. Phone Post

According to Meltzer the UFC was shooting for 250-300k.

2/26/13 8:06 PM
56sav

I'll spin it too..

1. Remember the XFL? The ratings and attendance were through the roof the first game...probably the same with the WNBA.

2. The card was stacked other than the main event. Many buyers were already aware they were getting a solid night of fights, and were no doubt curious about WMMA. Refer to #1.

3. Besides Rousey, UFC has absolutely no draws for WMMA. Only time will tell if people will remain interested but it will likely fizzle out like Laila Ali in boxing, as somebody mentioned.
2/26/13 8:43 PM
Idgetmyasskicked
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Rousey had fought Cyborg this fight would have done way bigger numbers. Not sure where the division will go but there are a few big fights left to do. At least as long as Ronda keeps winning.
2/26/13 9:13 PM
KingOfFighters

56sav - I'll spin it too..

1. Remember the XFL? The ratings and attendance were through the roof the first game...probably the same with the WNBA.

2. The card was stacked other than the main event. Many buyers were already aware they were getting a solid night of fights, and were no doubt curious about WMMA. Refer to #1.

3. Besides Rousey, UFC has absolutely no draws for WMMA. Only time will tell if people will remain interested but it will likely fizzle out like Laila Ali in boxing, as somebody mentioned.

I remember watching the wnba's inauguration game, mainly because I wanted to see what skills they could show off. That was the last wnba game I ever watched.
2/26/13 11:28 PM
UGSlapshot

KingOfFighters -

I remember watching the wnba's inauguration game, mainly because I wanted to see what skills they could show off. That was the last wnba game I ever watched.
LoL, I'm fine with nubs getting sad about wmma, I can only hope ignorant people such as yourself stop watching.

You have no validity to your opinions no merit just sad sack crybaby crap. Phone Post
2/27/13 8:54 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well guess i need to revise my opinion about the pulling power of Rhonda. I will wait until the numbers of the second event but if she pulls over 400 buys the second time around (with perhaps a slightly weaker undercard) there is obviously relevance.

I personally still would not buy this event for 50 bucks( thats why i am so happy i can still buy it for six euro's) but obviously there enough people who think differently.

Well i guess good for her and for female MMA in general.

2/27/13 10:04 AM
XcessiveZ

UGSlapshot -
KingOfFighters -

LoL, I'm fine with nubs getting sad about wmma, I can only hope ignorant people such as yourself stop watching.

You have no validity to your opinions no merit just sad sack crybaby crap. Phone Post
How is he ignorant?WMMA is no different than the WNBA or college sports.Its not the highest level.

I have nothing against women fighting, but I don't want to see it in the UFC. Phone Post
2/27/13 10:33 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Leck Brosnar - I wonder how all the haters are gonna spin this

Jew run media.
2/27/13 10:38 AM
Tomato Can
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rousey seems like she has real drawing power, but it's tough to claim that WMMA is "MMA at its highest level" when the #1 P4P fighter's entire gameplan is bullrush to scarfhold.

I don't mind watching women's fights but when it comes to making PPV purchasing decisions, I'm still going to base my decision on the rest of the card.
2/27/13 11:01 AM
UGSlapshot

XcessiveZ -
UGSlapshot -
KingOfFighters -

How is he ignorant?WMMA is no different than the WNBA or college sports.Its not the highest level.

I have nothing against women fighting, but I don't want to see it in the UFC. Phone Post
Whatever you say buddy, I'm not going to debate someone with no common sense, the two men's WC they just added aren't full of ufc quality fighters. They have a few quality fighters at the top but there is a steep drop off in talent, it takes some time to build a division.

They just started the woman's division but even so the woman's fight was just as entertaining and quite a few wmma matches have been the best fight on a card.

Did you see the last Ben Rothwell fight? Have you seen how poor a lot of HW fighters perform? You're going to attempt to say that Ronda has less skill than any male in the UFC? GTFO.

To say an Olympic bronze medalist in judo doesn't have the skill to be in the UFC is fucking ignorant. Phone Post
2/27/13 2:16 PM
JOESONDO
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hendofanforlife - 
JOESONDO - 
hendofanforlife - 
ShakeR_ -  Yes, 8% of GR is incredibly high, and I can almost guarantee you she did not make that.

When you're talking revenue before expenses, anything over 4% is nuts.

To put some perspective on it: Amazon has a 0.6% operating margin. This means that for every $100 in sales, $0.60 is profit. This is an extreme example and I'm sure UFC runs at much higher margins, but don't be foolish enough to think that it's 40 or even 30%. Phone Post

So you're comparing profits in a publicly traded online retail to a privately held ppv sport? Lol. Tard. See folks, this is what happens when you pull numbers out of your ass

What is a comparable business model then? I have worked with quite of number of businesses over the years and no company I have encountered, except pharmaceuticals, has anything approaching a 20% margin. Most event companies operate with a 3-5% margin. Even small business like catering companies generally operate with a 10% margin and that typically goes down with the size of the company.

I think I read somewhere the PPV cut of a few fighters is 1-3% depending on the number of buys. Still equals a solid number.

How about you break down the grosses earned by pbf. To see that one ppv star can be worth.

Are you talking GR of Mayweather? What his percentage of GR is a fairer comparison. I doubt he makes that high of a percentage either but I wouldn't have that number and from what I hear about Mayweather and his money management, it doesn't sound like he knows either. Sure he earns more gross but he also brings in a whole lot more too. Comparing straight pay of a fighter without considering GR and % is hardly a fair comparison.

The UFC is being smart by offering a percentage rather than a set amount. This means she earns more when they earn more. Once again large businesses don't generally operate with a big margin so the percentage she is being given is likely fair.
2/27/13 2:40 PM
XcessiveZ

UGSlapshot -
XcessiveZ -
UGSlapshot -
KingOfFighters -

Whatever you say buddy, I'm not going to debate someone with no common sense, the two men's WC they just added aren't full of ufc quality fighters. They have a few quality fighters at the top but there is a steep drop off in talent, it takes some time to build a division.

They just started the woman's division but even so the woman's fight was just as entertaining and quite a few wmma matches have been the best fight on a card.

Did you see the last Ben Rothwell fight? Have you seen how poor a lot of HW fighters perform? You're going to attempt to say that Ronda has less skill than any male in the UFC? GTFO.

To say an Olympic bronze medalist in judo doesn't have the skill to be in the UFC is fucking ignorant. Phone Post
No common sense?Fuck off.

It's called an opinion, jackass.I never once said anything bad about women fighters.They have every right to fight.I said I have no interest in watching them fight, ESPECIALLY when it's a main event on a card I am paying $60 bucks to watch.

Ronda is a talented fighter, but the womens division is the weakest division by far.She just fought someone who was a 14-1 underdog, and the opponents of Caramouche had a combined record of below .500. Phone Post
2/27/13 11:04 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
Cyril Jeff -
eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - Iole is an idiot...there were 400k pre orders the morning of.....800k easy

so if I'm right I get a blue name for a year????

sure, if UFC did 800K PPVs, I will buy you a blue-name (1yr), if it did less than 800K, you get a 1yr SN change, deal?

make it 725k and you have a deal

DONE.

ttt Phone Post
3/5/13 4:21 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
Cyril Jeff - 
Cyril Jeff -
eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - 
Cyril Jeff - 
eagleswhat1 - Iole is an idiot...there were 400k pre orders the morning of.....800k easy

so if I'm right I get a blue name for a year????

sure, if UFC did 800K PPVs, I will buy you a blue-name (1yr), if it did less than 800K, you get a 1yr SN change, deal?

make it 725k and you have a deal

DONE.

ttt Phone Post

Mr. EaglesWhat1, are you prepared yet to concede, sir?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/436156/Meltzer-Rousey-is-UFCs-5th-biggest-PPV-draw/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.