UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aldo clarifies stance, will fight Pettis, no title

2/25/13 5:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hikikomori
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They aren't employees. They are independent contractors. Phone Post
2/25/13 5:03 PM
Phisher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hired Gun - Zuffa should acknowledge what he is saying. Others deserve a title shot at 145 before Pettis. Pettis has never held a title in the UFC as Edgar did, big difference. Past champions deserve the respect and Aldo even gave it.

Pettis needs at least one fight at 45 to prove he can make the cut and how he can perform at that weight. What happens if he cuts to 45 and Aldo completely destroys him do to him not handling the cut well? Not to fair for guys at 45 that have earned the shot that they were over stepped.

Nobody deserves shit. The "number one" contenders are whoever the promotion says that they are.

I honestly don't get why anybody is sticking up for Aldo as a matter of principle on this one. If it were a Sonnen/Jones situation, where the guy that they're bringing in is clearly inferior to several other potential challengers in the champ's division, I'd agree. Pettis IMO, would destroy most guys at 145.

I also think that looks really bad for Aldo and his camp to decide to come out and "take a stand" only when the new opponent is a bad stylistic match up.

2/25/13 5:04 PM
Vril

Aldo is bascially saying Pettis is better than him.

2/25/13 5:04 PM
3rdLion
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori -  They aren't employees. They are independent contractors. Phone Post

I'm sure Aldo would vacate the UFC belt to go to WSOF or Bellator if he's told it's a title fight.
2/25/13 5:05 PM
Phisher

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
3rdLion - Do some fighters forget they are employees? You're not above the company Jose.
Fighters are independant contractors, not employees. Phone Post

Yeah, but the title belts belong to Zuffa.

2/25/13 5:10 PM
Hired Gun
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo isn't ducking anyone and isn't going to be stripped.

What he's saying is Pettis should have to prove himself in the division as other fighters have that are awaiting their shot. Why should they be bumped for a fighter that hasn't competed at 45?

More so in the Jones/Sonnen bout which is complete bs. I'm a fan of Sonnen but in no way shape or form did he deserve that fight. IMO it takes away from the title by demeaning what it takes to be a champion.
2/25/13 5:11 PM
Ironclad

If it's not a not a title fight, I'm not buying the ppv. Simple as that.

I'll be shocked if the UFC lets Jose Aldo dictate whether it's a title fight or not.
2/25/13 5:13 PM
Skip2MyLou
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good on Aldo for speaking up. The ufc is doing and injustice to his weight division and he's trying to give the title shot to the rightful contenders in the division Phone Post
2/25/13 5:15 PM
CindyO

Hired Gun - Zuffa should acknowledge what he is saying. Others deserve a title shot at 145 before Pettis. Pettis has never held a title in the UFC as Edgar did, big difference. Past champions deserve the respect and Aldo even gave it.

Pettis needs at least one fight at 45 to prove he can make the cut and how he can perform at that weight. What happens if he cuts to 45 and Aldo completely destroys him do to him not handling the cut well? Not to fair for guys at 45 that have earned the shot that they were over stepped.

This post is fair, IMO.

Cindy

2/25/13 5:16 PM
Hired Gun
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skip2MyLou -  Good on Aldo for speaking up. The ufc is doing and injustice to his weight division and he's trying to give the title shot to the rightful contenders in the division Phone Post

This guy gets it
EvilMaster

He is right. This kind of thing takes away from the legitimacy of the sport, and is completely unfair to the other guys in that weight class who are waiting for their shot. The shot they actually had to fight to get.

Makes no difference, Dana will just threaten him and talk shit about him in public. And he'll send out the trolls all over the net to hit up all the major forums and message boards saying nasty shit about him there as well until he does the fight. We've seen it so many times.

Aldo by 1st or 2nd round tko. He'll be pissed for this fight, and Pettis will pay the price.
CindyO

Heel Hooker - Awwww so cute thinking he has any say in the matter.

LOLOL!!!

Cindy

torquemada
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As best that I could read that, it said that he would take a fight but that it was an injustice. Phone Post
2/25/13 5:19 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FIGHT THE POWER!
2/25/13 5:26 PM
jaytrainwreck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion - Do some fighters forget they are employees? You're not above the company Jose.
UFC fighters aren't employees, but instead independent contractors. Phone Post
2/25/13 5:26 PM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The tail does not wag the dog, it is the other way around
2/25/13 5:27 PM
Ironclad

SE555 - 

I don't even think he is saying he would not fight (title or otherwise)! Why isn't this translated properly by a Portugese speaker, this is how shit starts, did Helwani tweet this interview in broken English to BLAF who then blows a gasket?  Running this gibberish through a number of translators yields

"I do not say not even for me, since I am the champion and fight against the one who will come, but it is an injustice because any world is training, winning his struggles, thinking in becoming a champion"

which suggests that WHILE he thinks it is unfair that somone can jump the line, he as the champion WILL fight against anyone who comes his way.

and the title of the actual interview in Portugese is: "José Aldo responds Dana and asks: ' I only see supermatches ranking at featherweight '"

That's all well and good but Aldo's previous response is what indicates he would give Pettis a non-title fight.

JO: "If the UFC wants a superfight, I do not see any problem. I fight whoever, but the belt has to be against Lamas or Swanson."

Now if that quote translates differently then I can see your point.
2/25/13 5:32 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

I completely agree with Aldo; really smart guy.

They need to quit playing favorites and also stop making match ups based on PPV buys. Let them clean their division THEN let's talk about super fights.

And IF you're going to have a superfight don't force it on one athlete and give a pass to another because he's 'more popular' this isn't fucking high school. Phone Post
2/25/13 5:33 PM
cmons

rpribyl - MAkes sense to me Phone Post
Phone Post
2/25/13 5:34 PM
CoolnDeadly

Aldo is scared. Your a fighter, you job is to fight who the UFC tells you to fight. UFC matchmaking has never been based on a ranking system. It has never been "fair". So why complain now?
2/25/13 5:35 PM
kinson

Jose sounds like he thinks pettis can beat him. Phone Post
2/25/13 5:35 PM
kinson

CoolnDeadly - Aldo is scared. Your a fighter, you job is to fight who the UFC tells you to fight. UFC matchmaking has never been based on a ranking system. It has never been "fair". So why complain now?
Agreed Phone Post
2/25/13 5:38 PM
MagSlim

Jose Aldo PPV Buy History

04/24/2010 WEC 48 Aldo vs. Faber 175,000
UFC 129 – v. Mark Hominick – 800K PPV Buys
UFC 136 – v. Kenny Florian – 225K PPV Buys
UFC 142 – v. Chad Mendes – 235K PPV Buys

Aldo transferred over from the WEC and his first UFC appearance was at UFC 129. The 800K is due in large part to the huge stadium show for the UFC which featured GSP. Thus, its not like Aldo was a PPV feature although he was a part of the co-main event (he also faced Canadian Mark Hominick). The other two shows Aldo appeared on are not strong PPV numbers (which include being on the same card as Edgar at 136). Random fact: Aldo has yet to fight in Vegas for the UFC.
2/25/13 5:40 PM
MagSlim

Quoting from here pre his UFC 156 fight v. Edgar.

http://mmapayout.com/2013/02/a-look-at-back-at-the-ppv-buy-rates-for-ufc-156-fighters/
2/25/13 5:40 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

PPV buys shouldn't mean shit; this kind of thinking is what will ruin the sport.

Look at boxing. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.