UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aldo clarifies stance, will fight Pettis, no title

2/25/13 5:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BDW_1983
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
3rdLion - Do some fighters forget they are employees? You're not above the company Jose.
Fighters are independant contractors, not employees. Phone Post
You have no clue how business works do you? Phone Post
2/25/13 5:43 PM
Sakurabaman
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SE555 - 

I don't even think he is saying he would not fight (title or otherwise)! Why isn't this translated properly by a Portugese speaker, this is how shit starts, did Helwani tweet this interview in broken English to BLAF who then blows a gasket?  Running this gibberish through a number of translators yields

"I do not say not even for me, since I am the champion and fight against the one who will come, but it is an injustice because any world is training, winning his struggles, thinking in becoming a champion"

which suggests that WHILE he thinks it is unfair that somone can jump the line, he as the champion WILL fight against anyone who comes his way.

and the title of the actual interview in Portugese is: "José Aldo responds Dana and asks: ' I only see supermatches ranking at featherweight '"

This. I thought it was fairly obvious. Did the UFC plan this? Its pretty clear they wanted Koch to win but why wouldn't they have just been pushing the winner of Koch and Lamas as a straight number 1 contender fight. Lamas wins and the division finally has a true contender so why not premote it and book it. They were happy to run with Aldo vs Koch so why not Lamas. How can the UFC say they are worried about selling PPVs when they are happy to put fights like Neer vs McGee on main cards. The only reason Pettis called out Aldo was because Koch lost, my guess is that this was the UFCs backup plan.
2/25/13 5:44 PM
MagSlim

Ice Cold Igors Right Hand -  PPV buys shouldn't mean shit; this kind of thinking is what will ruin the sport.

Look at boxing. Phone Post

My point is that even though he has four title defences in the UFC and another two in the WEC (not counting the Brown victory) he still isn't a PPV draw.

He would have lot more negotiating room if he could draw well on PPV.

I think Dana has seen the numbers from 156 (low for two names as big as Edgar and Aldo) and thinks he needs Aldo in another 'superfight' to do any numbers worthy of tying up a UFC champion.
2/25/13 5:46 PM
MagSlim

If Lamas and Swanson aren't going to do over 225k buys, why should Dana make those fights when he has a much bigger one to make with Pettis?
2/25/13 5:48 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

I get what you're saying and I know that's what's going thru Dana's mind (Chael-JJ fight proves that) but in the long run it will only hurt the sport.

And I remember when Dana's favorite quote was "we don't want this sport turning out like boxing.." Phone Post
2/25/13 5:51 PM
Phisher

Ice Cold Igors Right Hand -  PPV buys shouldn't mean shit; this kind of thinking is what will ruin the sport.

Look at boxing. Phone Post

PPV buys are Zuffa's largest revenue stream. What else do you expect that to focus on?

2/25/13 5:51 PM

Because that is how a sport works; or at least is supposed to.

You beat the ppl in line,you get the shot, simple as that. They are the fastest growing sport ever, I doubt they are hurting bad enough that their number one hierarchy of matchmaking should be 'potential PPV buys'.

Makes the belt and ranking systems illegitimate and meaningless. Phone Post
2/25/13 5:54 PM

Ppl will buy their ppv's, they did when they only had a handful of legit fighters, and they'll definitely do it now.

Putting two well known guys against eachother doesn't always equal a good fight either; and we've seen proof of this A LOT. Phone Post
2/25/13 5:54 PM
Phisher

RobinVanRooney - 
Phisher - 

LOL @ him thinking that he's going to dictate the terms of his fights to Zuffa. Dana threw Jones under the bus in front of the media without hesitation.

Aldo isn't GSP or Anderson. Like Dana said at the press conference. Aldo and Pedeneiras aren't gong to like how this turns out if they don't do what they're told.

"LOL @ him thinking that he's going to dictate the terms of his fights to Zuffa. Dana threw Jones under the bus in front of the media without hesitation."

Didn't Jones also cancel a whole card the same week it was meant to happen and then get a TUF coaching job? As well as fighting a 185lber?

Must suck to be Jones!!!

I'm guessing that you forgot when Dana attacked Jones in the media (although I doubt that because you're using Dana's line and blaming him for the card being cancelled) and then the entire MMA world proceeded to take a giant shit all over him for month straight?

2/25/13 5:55 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lmao at Pettis having to prove himself...Is there an argument that any one at Featherweight is better than him...or has beaten better fighters than him ?? Phone Post
2/25/13 5:57 PM
napalmstyle
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jose makes a great point but at the end of the day it's the UFC title not the Aldo title and he has a boss to answer to. You do the job you're paid to do. You don't always have to like it but you have to do it Phone Post
2/25/13 6:00 PM
Ironclad

Ice Cold Igors Right Hand -  Because that is how a sport works; or at least is supposed to.

You beat the ppl in line,you get the shot, simple as that. They are the fastest growing sport ever, I doubt they are hurting bad enough that their number one hierarchy of matchmaking should be 'potential PPV buys'.

Makes the belt and ranking systems illegitimate and meaningless. Phone Post

No offense meant, but you must be relatively new to the sport.

When it comes to the UFC, deserve doesn't mean near as much as marketability and potential ppv buys. It's been that way for several years.
2/25/13 6:03 PM
JudoMo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why wouldn't Aldo want a title fight? Fighters get paid more for a title fight right?

Also, Does Aldo think he not gonna win? If you think your gonna win, then what does it matter???

I guess he can request an automatic rematch clause in his contract if he is worried
2/25/13 6:07 PM
Chaz Johnson

How can anyone say anything bad about Aldo he is never boring ever Phone Post
2/25/13 6:25 PM

No, I'm not new to the sport I've followed it longer than you have and I've trained in the martial arts since I was 8.

I know 'how it works in the UFC' and I said that in earlier posts. My ENTIRE POINT was that IS how it works and they need to stop doing things that way if they want the sport to last.

And no offense meant but you may wna read before you post and call someone out. Phone Post
2/25/13 6:26 PM
crumbs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a Bro, sticking up for his featherweight breathen.
2/25/13 6:28 PM
ender852
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, Dana will bluster and talk a bunch of shit in the media, then quietly throw a bunch of money at Aldo. The fight will happen and everyone will be like "see, don't argue with Dana" , when really it is $$$$$ that is doing all the arguing.

2/25/13 6:34 PM

I think Aldo is right. Phone Post
2/25/13 6:45 PM
genDAV
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ice Cold Igors Right Hand -  I think Aldo is right. Phone Post

this. whenever anyone claims that any of these guys are afraid of anyone, it's bullshit. pettis may be a challenge but he didn't earn a right to his title shot. he sent a text message.
2/25/13 6:49 PM
RJJH
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Aldo even more.

2/25/13 6:52 PM
Buckle

Aldo.... Being a speaker for the people in his division... People who want nothing more than to smash his face in and take his belt haha. The only reason he is coming out with this turd is because he knows pettis is going to take his belt. For once he won't be the bigger guy. Pettis has called out a bully, and aldo acting like this has proven it even more so.

None of this garbage came out his mouth when he was set to fight Edgar!!

Fight pettis , fight for the title, do as uncle Dana says! Everyone on here and everywhere else would rather see pettis vs Aldo ... For the belt. Lamas will get his shot but it will just be against pettis instead Phone Post
2/25/13 6:52 PM

Give Aldo fights with Lamas and Swanson if he's next, meanwhile give Pettis one more fight then the winner of Bendo/Gilbert.

If he gets the belt at LW, then let's talk about this superfight. Phone Post
2/25/13 6:54 PM
Kentpaul
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo clarifies will fight Pettis but not for title, Dana later clarifies Aldo statement by saying Aldo will fight Pettis and his title will be on the line
2/25/13 6:56 PM
nni
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

100% in agreement with Aldo. Petting getting a title shot at FW is bullshit.
2/25/13 6:56 PM
Flexo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure why this is a big deal to him but had no problem fighting Frankie coming off 2 losses to a guy Pettis beat not too long ago. Maybe he's thinking once was enough. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.