2/25/13 6:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And Aldo isn't big for 145, he's 5'7. Phone Post
2/25/13 7:00 PM
hagisan
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hired Gun - Aldo isn't ducking anyone and isn't going to be stripped.

What he's saying is Pettis should have to prove himself in the division as other fighters have that are awaiting their shot. Why should they be bumped for a fighter that hasn't competed at 45?

More so in the Jones/Sonnen bout which is complete bs. I'm a fan of Sonnen but in no way shape or form did he deserve that fight. IMO it takes away from the title by demeaning what it takes to be a champion.
This. I am actually a little surprised at some of the responses in this thread. He's coming off as respectful and honorable to me. He's not saying he wont fight Pettis but he thinks there those who put in the time and got the wins to put them in contention. Phone Post
2/25/13 7:01 PM
Whambo
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

see, Aldo just cares about the other guys in the division, he's not scared.

Btw it's easier to do at the lighter weightclasses with only 10lbs is why. Anderson could have fought for the 205 title if he wanted it. 205 guys could have moved down as well.
2/25/13 7:03 PM
orcus

Aldo vs Pettis is a fight that has me more excited than any I can think of in the last couple years.

2/25/13 7:05 PM
MasterofMartialArts
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand his stance completely and am glad he is not just scared of Pettis. Everything he said makes sense, and I feel pretty much the same way he does. It's not fair. Phone Post
2/25/13 7:06 PM
Motivated Penn
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMOZ -  Aldo is kidding himself if he thinks he gets to make that decision. He'll be stripped of the title. Phone Post

That would be a weird situation and would seriously devalue the 145 belt.

Aldo is the 100% undisputed king of the division, has made complete mince meat of anybody he's faced in the UFC (not watched his older fights, perhaps seen some WEC stuff), so even if he was stripped of the belt for refusing to take on Pettis, everybody would know the new champion would not be legit.

I doubt they would do that.

Also, I see where he's coming from here, but he needs to think a bit with his wallet and business sense here, and not just with his sense of who's earned it, Aldo - Pettis would sell better than Aldo - Swanson (even though I am a BIG fan of Swanson (srly, that mouth guard ejecting KO of Roop was beautiful)), not to speak of Aldo - Lamas (who?!).
2/25/13 7:07 PM
guardbr8kr

Finally, another Champ heeds GSP's advise.
2/25/13 7:07 PM
cool hand Ed
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo needs a fucking reality check. He can take this attitude and shove it up his fucking ass. I'll never root for him again.
2/25/13 7:08 PM
Wasa-B
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if this is ploy to hype shit up?
2/25/13 7:08 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
3rdLion - Do some fighters forget they are employees? You're not above the company Jose.
Fighters are independant contractors, not employees. Phone Post

Lay'n'Pray thinks he's very smart throwing this term around.  He does it in every thread.

2/25/13 7:21 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Some posts in here are just sad.

A bunch of little Dana's. Phone Post
sevr1

I think he has a point. His point is to make more money.

However, I think he'd be smarter to stop worrying about who "deserves it" and get in better shape (which would probably be by losing a little size)that way whoever he fights doesn't come back and whip him the next time he gets tired.

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
3rdLion - Do some fighters forget they are employees? You're not above the company Jose.

Lay'n'Pray thinks he's very smart throwing this term around.  He does it in every thread.

ThatKickDidn'tHutooooooohhhhhhhhh is still butthurt he couldn't grasp the concept of independant contractors when he was crying about Jon Fitch, so he has to mock me for pointing out my corrections of misinformation.

AZKIEL
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Combat can happen
2/25/13 7:22 PM
Maltese Falcon
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he has already opened himself to people coming in from other weight divisions and getting a straight shot with Edgar and he didnt seem to mind so much there, so a little contracdictary.
That being said i agree with aldo on the guys in the division waiting

I think dana has a super fight in his eyes for down the track if pettis wins the featherweight crown has a legit super fight with bendo at light weight already there for the making
2/25/13 7:23 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

hagisan - 
Hired Gun - Aldo isn't ducking anyone and isn't going to be stripped.

What he's saying is Pettis should have to prove himself in the division as other fighters have that are awaiting their shot. Why should they be bumped for a fighter that hasn't competed at 45?

More so in the Jones/Sonnen bout which is complete bs. I'm a fan of Sonnen but in no way shape or form did he deserve that fight. IMO it takes away from the title by demeaning what it takes to be a champion.
This. I am actually a little surprised at some of the responses in this thread. He's coming off as respectful and honorable to me. He's not saying he wont fight Pettis but he thinks there those who put in the time and got the wins to put them in contention. Phone Post

Not only that but he says more than once that he is UNSURE what is actually going on and wanted to talk to his manager.....

Haters gonna hate.

2/25/13 7:23 PM
guardbr8kr

cool hand Ed - Aldo needs a fucking reality check. He can take this attitude and shove it up his fucking ass. I'll never root for him again.

LOL.. relax cool hand Ed. Take your professionalism, green name as well as your 0-1 record and be grateful for a Champion like Aldo.
2/25/13 7:24 PM
JerodR
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So what... Petis is supposed to drop down fight Aldo for no title, then fight the #1 Contender, then fight Aldo again for the title?

While Aldo may not agree with it, Petis is the #1 Contender at 155lbs. If he can make 145lbs, and the UFC wants to make the fight then he needs to defend his title regardless of his personal opinion.
2/25/13 7:29 PM
Boofhead3
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo clarified himself really well in this interview. I have to agree with him as much as i want to see Aldo vs Pettis i think its injustice to fighters like Lamas or Swanson to place Pettis in front of them for the title Phone Post
2/25/13 7:30 PM
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

ThatKickDidn'tHutooooooohhhhhhhhh is still butthurt he couldn't grasp the concept of independant contractors when he was crying about Jon Fitch, so he has to mock me for pointing out my corrections of misinformation.

Nah.  While I did come to see your point of view, by definition an employee of the UFC would have more responsibility to make the fight exciting than an independent contractor.

But I'm done.  I was just noting that to me, and I'm sure some others, it seems like you just stumbled upon the term recently and are now finding every opportunity to bring it up to show everyone how knowledgeable you are about the business of MMA.

2/25/13 7:31 PM
UGSlapshot

Underground Blog -

Aldo clarifies stance, will fight Pettis, no title

At the UFC 157 post fight press conference, UFC president Dana White revealed that UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo was refusing a fight with Anthony Pettis, who would be dropping down from lightweight to take the fight, for the first time.

In an interview with Tatame, Aldo clarified his stance.

Tatame: Dana White said at the press conference after UFC 157 Saturday that you won't want to accept the fight with Anthony Pettis. Is this true or will you accept the fight?

Jose Aldo: Nothing is signed. We are hoping for the best for us. I haven't talked to (my manager) Dede, I do not know how the case is. Not watched the event yesterday, because I was asleep, so I'm waiting. First I'll talk to Dede to learn is how the whole situation.

Tatame: The possibility exists that the fight be refused?

JO: This is very concerning, we do not know what is going on. It's a big fight that everyone wants to see, but first I have to talk to Dede.

Tatame: The UFC put Frankie Edgar in a superfight against you, and now want to put the Pettis. Do you agree with this "stuck queue"?

JO: No. They created a ranking for not just that, but is not serving for nothing, because they're pulling people from other categories. This is only happening on my weight, I see it nowhere else. Everyone talks about superfights, but it never occurs in other divisions. We have to sit down and talk with the UFC to see a solution to this case. Why not put Anderson Silva against all others who are wanting to fight for years?

Tatame: Why do you think this is occurring at featherweight?

JO: Yeah (laughs), I do not know if there's any reason for it or not, but no matter. Whoever does not choose a champion opponent or location. We have to be ready at any time and that's what I do. I prepare to give my very best.

Tatame: Do you think other opponents like Ricardo Lamas, before Pettis deserved this chance?

JO: The fighter who deserves the first chance is Ricardo Lamas, because he beat Erik Koch, who was the next contender. He has earned the chance after the victory. Cub Swanson is one that is growing too large. They are athletes of the class, struggling for a long time for a place for the belt, which never arrives according to opponents of the UFC put up category. If the UFC wants a superfight, I do not see any problem. I fight whoever, but the belt has to be against Lamas or Swanson.

Tatame: So you believe that the fight against Pettis should not rely on the title?

JO: Not for me. As a guy will fight for the belt if he never fought in our weight? It is an injustice to others. Do not say no to me, because I'm the champion and I fight whoever comes, but it is an injustice because everyone is training, winning his fights, thinking about becoming champion. Meanwhile, someone comes up category, asks a chance and gives UFC.

Read entire article... (original Portuguese)

Strip him. Phone Post
2/25/13 7:38 PM

Edited: 02/25/13 7:37 PM

My 2 cents:

I fully support Aldo here.  The UFC is hijacking the FW division by forcing Aldo to fighter contenders at LW who have no stake in the FW division.  Having said that, I'd love to see this fight and I don't care if it's for a belt or not.

2/25/13 7:45 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

easedel - 
JerodR - So what... Petis is supposed to drop down fight Aldo for no title, then fight the #1 Contender, then fight Aldo again for the title?

While Aldo may not agree with it, Petis is the #1 Contender at 155lbs. If he can make 145lbs, and the UFC wants to make the fight then he needs to defend his title regardless of his personal opinion.

Wait...he is the #1 contender at 155? Did Melendez quit fighting recently?

Pretty sure anyone being reasonable knows that Pettis should be ranked higher than Gilbert, and that Gilbert should not be getting an immediate title shot just for being a SF champion.

2/25/13 7:47 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 02/25/13 7:48 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Nah.  While I did come to see your point of view, by definition an employee of the UFC would have more responsibility to make the fight exciting than an independent contractor.

But I'm done.  I was just noting that to me, and I'm sure some others, it seems like you just stumbled upon the term recently and are now finding every opportunity to bring it up to show everyone how knowledgeable you are about the business of MMA.

Yes that's it. You nailed it. A 32 year old with a background in business, who has 20% of his income come on a 1099, just stumbled upon the term independant contractor.

The reason you see me posting the term so much lately is because there are so many threads and posts about the "firing" of 16 fighters and the misinformation is flowing all over the place.

2/25/13 7:49 PM
crwhitlock
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not Jose's job to look out for other fighters. It's not his job to determine who is deserving of the title shot. It's his job to fight whoever the UFC puts in front of him. It would be different if the UFC was telling him he had to move up and fight a larger fighter, but that's not the case. He is being asked to defend his belt against a man who weighs 145lbs.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.