UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aldo clarifies stance, will fight Pettis, no title

2/25/13 7:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
3rdLion - Do some fighters forget they are employees? You're not above the company Jose.
Fighters are independant contractors, not employees. Phone Post

Lay'n'Pray thinks he's very smart throwing this term around.  He does it in every thread.

ThatKickDidn'tHutooooooohhhhhhhhh is still butthurt he couldn't grasp the concept of independant contractors when he was crying about Jon Fitch, so he has to mock me for pointing out my corrections of misinformation.

Nah.  While I did come to see your point of view, by definition an employee of the UFC would have more responsibility to make the fight exciting than an independent contractor.

But I'm done.  I was just noting that to me, and I'm sure some others, it seems like you just stumbled upon the term recently and are now finding every opportunity to bring it up to show everyone how knowledgeable you are about the business of MMA.

Yes that's it. You nailed it. A 32 year old with a background in business, who has 20% of his income come on a 1099, just stumbled upon the term independant contractor.

The reason you see me posting the term so much lately is because there are so many threads and posts about the "firing" of 16 fighters and the misinformation is flowing all over the place.

Jeez bro, I hope I'm just like you when I grow up.  You sell cars, no?  

Anyways, I'm 18 and I know how to spell the word "independent".  You'd think with all your experience dealing with independent contractors you'd learn how to spell their title properly.

2/25/13 7:52 PM
crwhitlock
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a very similar case to GSP vs Anderson Silva. George does not want to move up to 185 and fight Anderson, and the UFC seems to respect that. However if Anderson were to drop to 170 George would have to fight him. It's his job to fight anyone at 170. Jose is being asked to defend his belt at 145lbs.
2/25/13 7:52 PM
UGSlapshot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reynaldo Poullard -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

I understand Jose' stance on this and it makes complete sense.

It's happening right now with Sonnen/Jones and everyone is bitching about how that is complete bullshit. Yet everyone wants to shit on Aldo for taking a stand. Good on him, and he also seems to be saying he will do what the UFC tells him to, but he thinks it is unfair to the true contenders.

This. Phone Post
Bullshit, Aldo knows the reason why fighters from 55 are getting shots over the existing competition, simply put they are better fighters that deserve to be ranked higher BECAUSE of thier record at 55.

Its not the same dynamic with a division like 205 where the division is established, the fighters are established and there are ufc quality fighters in line.

That's not to mention the fact that everybody Aldo should fight in that division he already has. Phone Post
2/25/13 7:53 PM
raf_269
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Props to Aldo for taking a stance for the contenders in his division, albeit a little too late. Frankie came down to 145 and fought for the title already. His reasoning is on point though. There's a ranking system now and should serve some purpose.

2/25/13 7:58 PM
cool hand Ed
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guardbr8kr -
cool hand Ed - Aldo needs a fucking reality check. He can take this attitude and shove it up his fucking ass. I'll never root for him again.

LOL.. relax cool hand Ed. Take your professionalism, green name as well as your 0-1 record and be grateful for a Champion like Aldo.
So now I'm not entitled to my opinion?
My post wasn't fighter bashing, but I was voted down for it. Love this place. Phone Post
2/25/13 7:58 PM
crwhitlock
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clearly this has nothing to do with the other, more "deserving" fighters at 145lbs. No one in their right mind would risk their job and or their title to stick up for their fellow competitors. When Dana White says "your going to take this fight or your not going to like how this turns out", you take the fight. No way do you thumb your nose at Dana White in an attempt to give the rightful contender a title shot. He clearly doesn't want to risk his title against Anthony Pettis. He is playing with fire here, now is not the time to draw a line in the sand with Dana White.
2/25/13 7:59 PM
Elhoffo
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo is completely correct and said he will fight him he just thinks it's not fair and he is right. When was the last time a fighter went up or down to fight for a belt and won? He did make a good point the ranking just came out and now the UFC is saying they are a waste of time and money since they will not be used.
I would love Pettis not to make weight and then Dana kicks him out of the UFC. Phone Post
2/25/13 8:04 PM
ortman166

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

It's happening right now with Sonnen/Jones and everyone is bitching about how that is complete bullshit. Yet everyone wants to shit on Aldo for taking a stand. Good on him, and he also seems to be saying he will do what the UFC tells him to, but he thinks it is unfair to the true contenders.

This Phone Post
2/25/13 8:09 PM
crwhitlock

First of all he already accepted the fight. Secondly he is being asked to fight in his division, he's not being asked to move up in weight. UFC champions can't refuse to take fights in their own weight class. Pettis is clearly a very dangerous fight, someone who has a very real chance at beating Aldo. But that's all it is, a chance. Dana White has much more than a chance to win, it's guaranteed. Losing your title in the cage is one thing, at least you can fight for it. Losing your title to Dana White is another, there is no chance you can win.
2/25/13 8:14 PM
UGSlapshot

Reynaldo Poullard -
UGSlapshot - 
Reynaldo Poullard -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

This. Phone Post
Bullshit, Aldo knows the reason why fighters from 55 are getting shots over the existing competition, simply put they are better fighters that deserve to be ranked higher BECAUSE of thier record at 55.

Its not the same dynamic with a division like 205 where the division is established, the fighters are established and there are ufc quality fighters in line.

That's not to mention the fact that everybody Aldo should fight in that division he already has. Phone Post

LOL, a vote down for a simple disagreement?

What's the purpose of having rankings now if not to establish a clear path to the title?

I hardly ever vote anyone even assholes down, not that u r or aren't 1.

It never crossed your mind that I might not be the only person who disagreed with something in your post? Phone Post
2/25/13 8:15 PM
youarewhatiswrong
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jose Also does not abbreviate to "JO"
2/25/13 8:23 PM
crwhitlock

With the way things have been going lately with managers and fighters challenging Dana White's authority, ala Ceasar Gracie and the Diaz brothers, this is not the right time for Aldo and his management to be blatantly disregarding Dana's orders. I'm afraid they may back Dana into a corner where he feels he has to make an example of them. As the president of a billion dollar company, Dana has to be sure his authority is respected. Allowing fighters and managers to walk on him would set a precedence he can not allow. I hope Aldo and company come to their senses before we lose a brilliant talent. Jose Aldo is now a very wealthy man, and stands to become a multi-millionaire through his UFC career. Given where he came from, he should protect that career with everything he's got.
2/25/13 8:30 PM
UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby
842 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@danawhite: Aldo vs Pettis is ON!!!!! Phone Post
2/25/13 8:31 PM
479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGSlapshot - 
Reynaldo Poullard -
UGSlapshot - 
Reynaldo Poullard -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

This. Phone Post

What's the purpose of having rankings now if not to establish a clear path to the title?

It never crossed your mind that I might not be the only person who disagreed with something in your post? Phone Post

App users can't even vote, right?

2/25/13 8:31 PM

UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby -  @danawhite: Aldo vs Pettis is ON!!!!! Phone Post

Make a thread

2/25/13 8:53 PM
kevsh
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMOZ -  Aldo is kidding himself if he thinks he gets to make that decision. He'll be stripped of the title. Phone Post

Two things on that.

One, if Anderson can dictate who he fights why not Aldo? Yes Silva has earned that right (arguably) but has Aldo done anything less as champion? He doesn't cause drama, has fought everyone he's been asked to and has beaten every one.

Second, not that Dana will say he cares, but stripping Aldo is going to go real well in Brazil. Next time the UFC heads there he may want Chael's security team. Kidding aside, no Dana shouldn't make decisions based on alienating fans but suffice to say it will make a LOT of fans angry, not just Brazilians.
2/25/13 8:55 PM
Brabatross

Looks like the fight is on and it's for the title.
2/25/13 8:56 PM
UGSlapshot

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -
UGSlapshot - 
Reynaldo Poullard -
UGSlapshot - 
Reynaldo Poullard -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

This. Phone Post

App users can't even vote, right?

You are correct sir. Phone Post
2/25/13 8:57 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brabatross - Looks like the fight is on and it's for the title.
Yep, just wanted more money. Like 99% of these things Phone Post
2/25/13 9:23 PM
stonepony

If the fight happens and Pettis wins, he deserves the title. Period.
2/25/13 9:28 PM
Daht
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Aldo vs Pettis superfight, and Lamas vs Swanson for the vacant 145lb title?
2/25/13 9:29 PM
grafzep
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't understand why any champ would care if another fighter "deserves" a shot at the title, unless they are scared or unless they think that bigger money fights are in the offing.

The only people that should be concerned with "deserving" anything are the contenders who are on the ladder.
2/25/13 9:34 PM
Thacommish
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aldo getting that anderson silva money
2/25/13 9:37 PM
Chiron

So apparently if Aldo beats Pettis he gets an instant LW title shot. Pretty sweet, and only fair considering all this BS instant title shot in a different weight class drama. Aldo's camp has parlayed it into a benefit for them.
2/25/13 10:02 PM
RollHighAllDay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo is holding out for Anderson silva money Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.