UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Machida 'very surprised' by split decision

2/25/13 9:24 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Lyoto Machida took an uninspired split decision over Dan Henderson Saturday night, setting up a title shot at the winner of Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen. However, Henderson feels he won the fight (but not officially) vs. Lyoto. Unsurprisingly, Machida disagrees.

“I felt that I won the fight," Machida told Fox Sport. "Because in my score, I kneed him many times. I kicked him. I took him down. In the third round, he didn’t take me down. I slipped, and he took advantage of this. I felt I won the three rounds, and I was very surprised by the split decision.”

“It was my game plan to keep the fight standing up and to avoid the ground position and his right hands. Look at my face. Nothing. [He kicked me] just a little bit in the legs, but I can put ice on that and it will go away soon. I can make my distance, and I kick hard. I didn’t let him grab me, and I [avoided] a lot of wrestling.”

“When I slipped, he took advantage and kept the fight on the ground just to [score] points. I thought, ‘I have to keep the fight standing up and be more aggressive and try to knock him out.’”

What do you think UG? Was the split decision a surprise?

Read entire article...

2/25/13 9:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGSlapshot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground Blog -

Machida 'very surprised' by split decision

Lyoto Machida took an uninspired split decision over Dan Henderson Saturday night, setting up a title shot at the winner of Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen. However, Henderson feels he won the fight (but not officially) vs. Lyoto. Unsurprisingly, Machida disagrees.

“I felt that I won the fight," Machida told Fox Sport. "Because in my score, I kneed him many times. I kicked him. I took him down. In the third round, he didn’t take me down. I slipped, and he took advantage of this. I felt I won the three rounds, and I was very surprised by the split decision.”

“It was my game plan to keep the fight standing up and to avoid the ground position and his right hands. Look at my face. Nothing. [He kicked me] just a little bit in the legs, but I can put ice on that and it will go away soon. I can make my distance, and I kick hard. I didn’t let him grab me, and I [avoided] a lot of wrestling.”

“When I slipped, he took advantage and kept the fight on the ground just to [score] points. I thought, ‘I have to keep the fight standing up and be more aggressive and try to knock him out.’”

What do you think UG? Was the split decision a surprise?

Read entire article...

With how poor the judging is in mma isn't ever decision a surprise. Phone Post
2/25/13 9:31 PM
in_different
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Cecil Peoples scores it for the other guy, you did something right
2/25/13 9:33 PM
FormrChamp

I wasn't surprised or impressed. Dan did a good job of moving forward and trying to initiate some sort of offense. While Machida circled away mostly and threw a few counters. Would like to have seen a 5 round fight.
2/25/13 9:34 PM
D241

I wasn't surprised. I assumed it'd be a split decision. I thought it was a draw. Not enough done by either fighter for me to say one guy was better than the other.

cambeezee

There weren't very many strikes landed all together. So yes it was close. And with the judges in MMA, no he shouldn't be surprised. Especially since there weren't many strikes landed and he was on his bicycle the whole fight making Hendo the aggressor. I can see a judge giving a round or two to Hendo off of his aggression alone since Lyoto clearly had none. Phone Post
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

FormrChamp - I wasn't surprised or impressed. Dan did a good job of moving forward and trying to initiate some sort of offense. While Machida circled away mostly and threw a few counters. Would like to have seen a 5 round fight.

I would think, based on how much Dan was fading at the end of round 3, and his history of gassing, rounds 4+5 would not have gone well for him....

2/25/13 9:36 PM
Publicnoose

The photo makes it seem like the fight was intense Phone Post
2/25/13 9:38 PM
FormrChamp

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
FormrChamp - I wasn't surprised or impressed. Dan did a good job of moving forward and trying to initiate some sort of offense. While Machida circled away mostly and threw a few counters. Would like to have seen a 5 round fight.

I would think, based on how much Dan was fading at the end of round 3, and his history of gassing, rounds 4+5 would not have gone well for him....

You're probably right, but maybe there would have been alittle more action with some sort of stoppage.
2/25/13 9:40 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FormrChamp -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

You're probably right, but maybe there would have been alittle more action with some sort of stoppage.
Maybe, it at least probably would have made it easier to score, which I believe was a main purpose of the 5 round main events Phone Post
2/25/13 9:57 PM
stonepony

Instead of arguing about who won that fight, they should try to forget it ever happened and never bring it up again. Neither one have any business fighting JBJ. Dan would have been fun to watch, but, it wouldn't have been much of a fight.

Should be JBJ and Anderson.
2/25/13 9:58 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
I don't know why he's so surprised, it was a close fight.
2/25/13 9:59 PM
UGSlapshot

stonepony - Instead of arguing about who won that fight, they should try to forget it ever happened and never bring it up again. Neither one have any business fighting JBJ. Dan would have been fun to watch, but, it wouldn't have been much of a fight.

Should be JBJ and Anderson.
Agreed. Phone Post
2/25/13 10:01 PM
ortman166

What do you think UG? Was the split decision a surprise?

Yes machida quite clearly won Phone Post
2/25/13 10:35 PM
ranier wolfcastle
953 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30-27 lyoto imo

2/25/13 11:48 PM
PatrickVilone

ranier wolfcastle - 

30-27 lyoto imo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.