UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Squats with shoulder problems?

2/26/13 11:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OG1 Kenobi_BFTT
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I need to squats, but my left shoulder is pretty much f@cked for life after 2 surgeries and I can't reach behind my head to grab the bar.

How can I gain all the benefits from squats without having to grip the bar in the traditional way? Phone Post
2/26/13 11:32 AM
CMX
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Front squat the have harnesses to take the pressure off the wrist and shouders, there are also squat bars that have "handles" that come out front so you can hold them in front while doing your squats Phone Post
2/26/13 1:36 PM
OG1 Kenobi_BFTT
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My gym doesn't have either of those unfortunately Phone Post
2/26/13 1:47 PM
dizz
547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You try placing your hands wider? When I had shoulder issues I couldn't hold the bar close in and had to do a really wide grip
2/26/13 1:54 PM
CMX
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumbell lunges, trap bar squats, dumbell step ups, several different kettlebell exercises, hack squats, not squats but you can get an effective workout none the less Phone Post
2/26/13 1:56 PM
OG1 Kenobi_BFTT

dizz - You try placing your hands wider? When I had shoulder issues I couldn't hold the bar close in and had to do a really wide grip
The only way I can do that is to have my hands on the plates and even then it hurts. Phone Post
2/26/13 2:18 PM
dizz
547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Front squats are probably the way to go then. You try those?
2/26/13 2:57 PM
sly fox
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have the same problem... I do front squats, the gym I used to go to had a safety squat bar..I dont like front squats as much so I just bought myself a safety squat bar off craigslist to use in my garage
2/26/13 3:29 PM
Cooter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you tried this option using straps? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO3rv5vHy00

This is a lot like a safety squat bar, but a hell of a lot cheaper.
2/26/13 6:40 PM
AdrianK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Front Squats, SSB squats, Ironmind Hip Belt Squats
2/26/13 7:27 PM
AdrianK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/26/13 7:33 PM
Dave Draper sells a device that is a Safety Squat handle attachment that can go on regular bars at the gym which is cheaper than buying the entire SSB and small enough that you could bring it to and from your gym on squat day.Frank Zane sells a squat harness which looks like it could be could but he wants way too much money for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azWwBWx2mQE
2/26/13 8:47 PM
OG1 Kenobi_BFTT

I'll be checking these out. Thanks for the help. Phone Post
2/28/13 2:48 PM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like front squats personally, but probably won't be able to go as heavy as a back squat though. FS are great for the ab strength though. Phone Post
2/28/13 7:21 PM
OG1 Kenobi_BFTT

I have legs tomorrow. I'll give FS a try. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.