UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tito Has A (Risky) Plan For Cyborg

2/26/13 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article by Ben Fowlkes

Tito Ortiz has a plan. It's detailed and forward-thinking and not terribly flexible, but still, it's a plan. He seems pretty sure that it's a good one. UFC President Dana White seems to feel differently, but what else is new?

"I made so many mistakes with my career," Ortiz told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) backstage at this past weekend's UFC 157 event in Anaheim, Calif. "I'm not going to make the same mistakes with my clients."

"The reaction tonight, it was bigger than any fight the men's 135 [pounders] have done," Ortiz said at one point while praising Ronda Rousey's main event victory over Liz Carmouche.

"Our deal right now is to fight the No. 2 contender at 145 pounds, who she's fighting, and then she'll fight for the [Invicta] world title," he said. "She wins the world title, and after she wins the title, she'll defend it once. After she defends it once, let's get New Year's Eve, Ronda Rousey vs. Cris 'Cyborg' at 140 pounds. Champ vs. champ. Let's forget about the title. Throw away the title. Let's get one of the biggest pay-per-views in the history of mixed martial arts and history of women's MMA."

See? It's simple. What could go wrong, except about a half-dozen different things.

Entire article here:

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/when-it-comes-to-cyborg-santos-manager-tito-ortiz-has-a-risky-plan

2/26/13 1:22 PM
MMA Playwrite
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think he's a very good public speaker. IMO, of course.
2/26/13 1:23 PM
DWray
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Playwrite - I don't think he's a very good public speaker. IMO, of course.

Very well public speaker, IMO.
2/26/13 1:23 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually think that's a reasonable, straightforward plan. Ronda will never accept though. 

2/26/13 1:24 PM
GroundStPound
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow imagine having Tito as your mouthpiece Phone Post
2/26/13 1:27 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Cyborg needs to win her next 3 fights, and Rousey also needs to stay without a loss during that time. Then, assuming that doesn't go wrong, two current champions will fight at a catch weight (not sure that's ever happened before in MMA), and one champ will have a permanent drop in her stock without a new belt to show for it. Either Rousey will be seen as the inferior woman, or Cyborg will, and the mystique surrounding one of them will be gone, and with it, potentially part of their drawing power going forward.

As opposed to just doing the fight at 135, having a title on the line, and having the built in excuse of being too big for the weight class and terribly drained if his client loses.

Tito, I don't think this is a good plan. But what do I know, I'm just a random guy on a forum. Phone Post
2/26/13 1:28 PM
UGSlapshot

EBM -

Great article by Ben Fowlkes

Tito Ortiz has a plan. It's detailed and forward-thinking and not terribly flexible, but still, it's a plan. He seems pretty sure that it's a good one. UFC President Dana White seems to feel differently, but what else is new?

"I made so many mistakes with my career," Ortiz told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) backstage at this past weekend's UFC 157 event in Anaheim, Calif. "I'm not going to make the same mistakes with my clients."

"The reaction tonight, it was bigger than any fight the men's 135 [pounders] have done," Ortiz said at one point while praising Ronda Rousey's main event victory over Liz Carmouche.

"Our deal right now is to fight the No. 2 contender at 145 pounds, who she's fighting, and then she'll fight for the [Invicta] world title," he said. "She wins the world title, and after she wins the title, she'll defend it once. After she defends it once, let's get New Year's Eve, Ronda Rousey vs. Cris 'Cyborg' at 140 pounds. Champ vs. champ. Let's forget about the title. Throw away the title. Let's get one of the biggest pay-per-views in the history of mixed martial arts and history of women's MMA."

See? It's simple. What could go wrong, except about a half-dozen different things.

Entire article here:

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/when-it-comes-to-cyborg-santos-manager-tito-ortiz-has-a-risky-plan

Because the ufc has always been so keen on co-promotion....

Ain't gunna happen. Phone Post
2/26/13 1:32 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

Tito. Noone gives a shit about invicta at least in terms of mainstream coverage. It's much lesser known than strikeforce. So by downgrading the org u seem to think u are raising cyborgs stock? Phone Post
2/26/13 1:36 PM
PrettyBoy
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You wanna see someone dominate? Phone Post
2/26/13 1:38 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ -  So Cyborg needs to win her next 3 fights, and Rousey also needs to stay without a loss during that time. Then, assuming that doesn't go wrong, two current champions will fight at a catch weight (not sure that's ever happened before in MMA), and one champ will have a permanent drop in her stock without a new belt to show for it. Either Rousey will be seen as the inferior woman, or Cyborg will, and the mystique surrounding one of them will be gone, and with it, potentially part of their drawing power going forward.

As opposed to just doing the fight at 135, having a title on the line, and having the built in excuse of being too big for the weight class and terribly drained if his client loses.

Tito, I don't think this is a good plan. But what do I know, I'm just a random guy on a forum. Phone Post

The fight will NOT happen at 135. It just won't, Cyborg can't make the weight. So if you want a fight, it has to be at 140. And also, the loser will see their stock drop equally no matter what the weight. Having buil-in excuses does nothing to change that, save maybe for hardcore fans which, let's face it, make up a very small portion of the MMA fan base. 

2/26/13 1:47 PM
ziggystardust
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito is a good coach, but I would never take career advice from him. Nor would I ever go through him in contacts with Dana White. Phone Post
2/26/13 1:48 PM
DaddyRich
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My bet is that Cyborg comes in overweight no matter what weight they agree on.
2/26/13 1:52 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

w....t......f

2/26/13 1:53 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes sense. Ronda's a superstar, Tito doesn't want the fight to happen until Cyborg becomes relevant again because he doesn't want Ronda getting a bigger slice of the pie.
2/26/13 1:55 PM
BobbyDigital420
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

did he say anything about UFC paying Invicta (that arrangement Dana mentioned), I'd like to know his thougths on that

2/26/13 1:55 PM
Nonlinear

Cris Cyborg is an unmarketable nobody.

2/26/13 2:29 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

I'd be in total shock if Invicta paid her more than 10,000.00 for a fight.

2/26/13 2:42 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At 140...keep dreaming Tito...won't happen Phone Post
2/26/13 2:51 PM
PartsGuy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

I'd be in total shock if Invicta paid her more than 10,000.00 for a fight.

This.
2/26/13 2:54 PM
BzGrappla

Lol what? she could have done the same thing under a Ufcc contract..
2/26/13 3:02 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lmao Phone Post
2/26/13 3:02 PM
Rogans secret stash
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -
GriffinQ -  So Cyborg needs to win her next 3 fights, and Rousey also needs to stay without a loss during that time. Then, assuming that doesn't go wrong, two current champions will fight at a catch weight (not sure that's ever happened before in MMA), and one champ will have a permanent drop in her stock without a new belt to show for it. Either Rousey will be seen as the inferior woman, or Cyborg will, and the mystique surrounding one of them will be gone, and with it, potentially part of their drawing power going forward.

The fight will NOT happen at 135. It just won't, Cyborg can't make the weight. So if you want a fight, it has to be at 140. And also, the loser will see their stock drop equally no matter what the weight. Having buil-in excuses does nothing to change that, save maybe for hardcore fans which, let's face it, make up a very small portion of the MMA fan base. 

And you know she can't lose the weight with Dolce like the ufc offered? Lol, cyroid doesn't want to lose the mass. Plain and simple. They would be on an even playing field. She can have fun beating up cans in invicta while Rousey is making bank in the ufc. Phone Post
2/26/13 3:03 PM
Letibleu
1612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to suspect, but now am positive, that Chuck fucked up Tito's head permaforever.

2/26/13 3:11 PM
chawkins
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just don't see the point of having 2 champs fight each other in a non-title fight.

Someone needs to challenge for the other's title.
2/26/13 3:15 PM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 02/26/13 3:19 PM

That's 2 years in the making. Who knows whether the heat will die down on the match, another contender will emerge, or Ronda could lose.

BIG gamble.

Tito hasn't factored 'time' into his equation.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.