UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW declines Benson offer to superfight GSP

2/26/13 11:37 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I wrestled and cut weight six months, seven months out of the year since I was 12 years old," said UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in 2011. "It’s kind of getting old. I don’t like it so much anymore."

Now, according to a report from UFC Tonight on Tuesday evening, Henderson has asked to face UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre following his bout against Gilbert Melendez at UFC on Fox 7 in April.

The UFC has made no secret in their desire to put together a series of super fights with middleweight champion Anderson Silva either facing welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre or light heavyweight king Jon Jones.

However, just moments after his request was revealed, UFC president Dana White shot down the idea.

"No, that's not going to happen either," White said on UFC Tonight.  "Ben Henderson, it's not going to happen, he just won that title not too long ago.  There's plenty of guys in the 155 pound division to defend the title against, and a possible fight with Aldo, if Aldo moves up and stays at 55.  A possible fight with Pettis a couple of fights away again."

"There's not going to be all this jumping around. I don’t blame Ben Henderson for wanting to go to 170, that's the big money fight.  The big money fight is Georges St-Pierre, everybody knows it.  If you're not fighting him you want to be fighting on his card."

Read entire article...

2/26/13 11:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mijo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo wants a fight, has proven himself multiple times in the UFC already, but Pettis calls out Aldo, and Dana says ok?

Dana White is the biggest douche bag alive.
2/26/13 11:45 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benson Henserson is awesome, now is just not the time. Phone Post
2/26/13 11:46 PM
Kid Charlemagne
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he stays at 170 and relinquishes the title, I'm down Phone Post
2/26/13 11:47 PM
FreakDaddy
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Dana cares about Bendo and he is just trying to save him from the ass-raping he would get........
2/26/13 11:47 PM
Kid Charlemagne
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

155 is poppin so if not perm would just block up another division Phone Post
2/26/13 11:50 PM
cfv
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man i don't know i see gsp taking him down and controlling him at will, or jabbing him to death *shrug*. not going to happen anyway.
2/26/13 11:52 PM
mwmhong
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mijo - Bendo wants a fight, has proven himself multiple times in the UFC already, but Pettis calls out Aldo, and Dana says ok?

Difference is Challenger moving vs Champion moving? Phone Post
2/26/13 11:56 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mijo - Bendo wants a fight, has proven himself multiple times in the UFC already, but Pettis calls out Aldo, and Dana says ok?

Although I'm not a fan of the Pettis vs Aldo fight, they are completely different scenarios. Phone Post
2/27/13 12:08 AM
Dodge135

So Dana can't tell Frankie to cut weight, but he can keep Bendo on a diet?
2/27/13 12:17 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

WTFPICS - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

Although I'm not a fan of the Pettis vs Aldo fight, they are completely different scenarios. Phone Post

how? as soon as the fight's over, the winner is leaving the division to fight the champ one class up. when bendo/melendez is over, bendo wants to go up. same scenario.

Because the top contender didn't just leave welterweight. It would be the equivalent of Hendricks beating Condit, then dropping to fight Benson and that fight determining who fights GSP next. GSP has other fights the UFC is wanting to do already. Aldo is also working on his seventh title defense, not his third.

2/27/13 12:18 AM
jasonhightower
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/27/13 12:18 AM
Dodge135 - So Dana can't tell Frankie to cut weight, but he can keep Bendo on a diet?

Absolutely not... fuck that.  It "may" be risky to do so, but you can do whatever you want in that regard.  He's 29 years old, cutting weight gets harder and harder.  I hope he makes the move and it pays off with a huge payday.

2/27/13 12:21 AM
32Hunter

fuck the ufc monopoly sometimes I wish this sport was more like boxing so we could see these fights without all the interference. let the fighters decide who they fight. doubtful GSP would take the fight anyway.
2/27/13 12:24 AM
HexRei

Dana doesn't want to risk delegitimizing the lighter weights yet, not with a champ who is still developing like Bendo anyway.
2/27/13 12:54 AM
Affliction Blackbelt
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP would destroy benson
2/27/13 12:55 AM
ender852
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hypocrisy
2/27/13 12:58 AM
kinson

Wooh! You should probably stop watching the ufc. Phone Post
2/27/13 1:00 AM
jasonhightower
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Affliction Blackbelt - GSP would destroy benson

Maybe, but we won't know until we know.  GSP is about 2 years older then Bendo and he is a BIG 155'er.  I see no problem in letting this happen if the cards play out the right way.

2/27/13 1:04 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

WTFPICS -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
WTFPICS - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

how? as soon as the fight's over, the winner is leaving the division to fight the champ one class up. when bendo/melendez is over, bendo wants to go up. same scenario.

Because the top contender didn't just leave welterweight. It would be the equivalent of Hendricks beating Condit, then dropping to fight Benson and that fight determining who fights GSP next. GSP has other fights the UFC is wanting to do already. Aldo is also working on his seventh title defense, not his third.

You're assuming Also is going to win. If Pettis wins, the champ takes the title and leaves without a defense, so the 3rd vs 7th doesn't really matter. Oh, and Aldo has 4 title defenses.

The fact of the matter is that there are more current challengers at featherweight than there are at lightweight. if Dana is going to allow these so called SUPERFIGHTS to clog the 145 division, no reason he shouldn't let it happen at 155. Imo, pettis hsould be fighting winner of benson/melendez and aldo should be defending against man who earned it, Llamas.
I agree with you about Lamas and Pettis. I just think it's different because of the different plans they have for GSP and that Benson hasn't established himself as being as dominant a champ as Aldo has.

And carrying over from the WEC, it is number 7 he's going for. He didn't win a new belt or join a new division, it just moved to a different place. Benson Henderson is one of my favorite fighters, I just don't think the timing is right. Phone Post
2/27/13 1:09 AM
vaginal tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surprised you're still here. I've seen people banned for less. Nobody talks about BLAF like that!

Nobody. Phone Post
2/27/13 1:11 AM
ausgepicht

He can't even clean out the division he's in and he's going up? Oh I get it....Pettis is going down and after he beats Aldo they'll be such a huge buzz that Bendo will have no choice but to fight Pettis again....and lose again. Better to get taken GSPed than get your belt Matrix kicked right off your waist.

Makes sense now.

2/27/13 1:26 AM
Chupacabro
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"fuck the ufc monopoly sometimes I wish this sport was more like boxing so we could see these fights without all the interference."

lol..

wut? Phone Post
2/27/13 1:27 AM
XFactah416
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody else think Bendo is just trolling to get his "superfight"?

He notices that Aldo vs Pettis will get a shot at his title, so why not clamor and go for the 170 title?
2/27/13 1:52 AM
stonepony

Dodge135 - So Dana can't tell Frankie to cut weight, but he can keep Bendo on a diet?

DW didn't say Benson has to stay at any weight. He said no to that specific match-up. If Ben put on weight and wanted to move up, he would move up.

Has the UFC ever told a fighter that they can't change their weight?
2/27/13 2:14 AM
lgi

How many times has Bendo defended the belt?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.