UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ronda Rousey returns windfall for UFC

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/26/13 11:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Many fans thought having two women headline a PPV show would be a financial disaster fo the UFC. To the contrary the move has been a windfall for the organization. LA Times' Lance Pugmire reports.

In addition to a sellout crowd of 15,525 at Honda Center that generated a live gate in excess of $1.3 million, pay-per-view figures were assessed as 40% better than the UFC’s Super Bowl weekend card that featured Jose Aldo retaining his featherweight belt against Frankie Edgar.

While UFC officials don’t publicly share their pay-per-view totals, an official with knowledge of the figures said with replay sales, Rousey’s first-round armbar submission of Liz Carmouche could near 500,000 buys.

The fight cost $44.99 on standard-definition, $54.99 on HD.

That number is far and away better than the prior pay-per-view record for a female fight which pitted the daughters of Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier and generated 125,000 buys.

Read entire article...

2/26/13 11:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huh? That gate doesn't seem right. Phone Post
2/27/13 12:06 AM
slamming

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -  Huh? That gate doesn't seem right. Phone Post

It's about $3m off.

500k buys is amazing.
2/27/13 12:39 AM
ender852
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice

2/27/13 12:51 AM
UGCTT_granite007
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good news!

2/27/13 12:59 AM
damnyouwoman14
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTFPICS - LOL at comparing it to Ali/Frazier. I'm sure the fact that it was the UFC had nothing to do with that. For that to be a fair comparison, they needed to have Carmouche/Ronda with an independent promoter. I guarantee it would not have sold 125,000 ppv's.

Oh and I'm sure Hendo/Machida and Kos/Lawler had nothing to do with the sales either.
Lol I don't think Hendo, Machida, Faber, or Koscheck are huge draws on their own. UFC 139 had Hendo and Faber and it didn't do this great. Phone Post
2/27/13 1:04 AM
kinson

Ufc + Ronda = $$$ Phone Post
2/27/13 1:21 AM
CindyO

Why does the gate seem off?

Cindy

2/27/13 1:24 AM
CindyO

I think someone made a typo in the gate amount: From MMA Weekly:

The gate and attendance aren’t official yet, but White said at the UFC 157 post-fight press conference that the event produced a $1.4 million gate and an attendance of 15,525.

Cindy

2/27/13 1:46 AM
stonepony

Funny watching people grasp at straws trying to explain why RR and Liz weren't really a big draw...

Dan's last fight, against Rua, did 270k buys. One of the most anticipated LHW fights ever.
2/27/13 2:19 AM
orcus

NotImpressedByYourScreenName -  Out of interest what was the total # of viewers and gate for Carano V Cyborg? I know it wasn't PPV but just curious. Phone Post

Attendance 13,976[1]
Total gate $736,000[1]
The event averaged 576,000 viewers on the Showtime cable network. It peaked with 856,000 viewers for the night's main event between Carano and Santos.
2/27/13 2:28 AM
NorthFromHere
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Well it was the FIRST women's fight ever in the UFC so it drew a lot of media of attention and was very heavily marketed.
But I think it will be much harder for UFC & Rousey to pull this kind of numbers again now that the charm of novelty is gone and mainstream media will handle it like any other UFC event.
2/27/13 2:42 AM
Clarence Parents
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere - Well it was the FIRST women's fight ever in the UFC so it drew a lot of media of attention and was very heavily marketed.
But I think it will be much harder for UFC & Rousey to pull this kind of numbers again now that the charm of novelty is gone and mainstream media will handle it like any other UFC event.

I still think Rousey will have an unusual pull with the mainstream media that other main event stars will not.. as long as she keeps winning.
2/27/13 2:47 AM
UGCTT_Pervert
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is incredible.

The next Rousey fight will be the true test, to see if the impressive sales were due to novelty value. Phone Post
2/27/13 3:01 AM
stonepony

UGCTT_Pervert -  That is incredible.

The next Rousey fight will be the true test, to see if the impressive sales were due to novelty value. Phone Post

They could go up. RR and Liz were respectful and friendly. If it was someone like Tate, it would have done better than GSP numbers. If it was Cyborg, it might have done Brock Lesnar numbers. If it was Gina, it might have set the PPV record for the UFC.

Dan and Lyoto was not exactly a fight with a lot hinging on the outcome. They were meeting to see who gets to be stomped unmercifully by JJ.
2/27/13 4:01 AM
Caught_clean
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate - 

"They could go up. RR and Liz were respectful and friendly. If it was someone like Tate, it would have done better than GSP numbers. If it was Cyborg, it might have done Brock Lesnar numbers. If it was Gina, it might have set the PPV record for the UFC."

Fucking lol.

BAHAHAHAH OH WOW.

See heres the thing. Im glad it did well, but the problem are people who are acting like it was UFC 100 success and Ronda is now a bigger star then GSP etc. Then on the other hand there are people who cant accept a women did a decent draw.
2/27/13 4:04 AM
stonepony

Glovegate - 

"They could go up. RR and Liz were respectful and friendly. If it was someone like Tate, it would have done better than GSP numbers. If it was Cyborg, it might have done Brock Lesnar numbers. If it was Gina, it might have set the PPV record for the UFC."

Fucking lol.

As high as 450k PPV buys, according to Meltzer. Georges on his big return fight did what? 600k? Brock was what? 750k?

Rousey fought a very game no-name opponent who liked her a whole lot. Change that to a more promotable situation, with someone like Tate. A big recognizable opponent, with a heated rivalry, and the fact that Tate is sexy... And, maybe a better co-main?

Look at the previous PPVs buddy. The last one, had a super-fight for the title at the top (two top-5 P4P fighters), with Overeem and Bigfoot in a HW #1 contender fight... Did it break 300k buys?
2/27/13 4:15 AM
stonepony

Caught_clean - 
Glovegate - 

Fucking lol.

BAHAHAHAH OH WOW.

See heres the thing. Im glad it did well, but the problem are people who are acting like it was UFC 100 success and Ronda is now a bigger star then GSP etc. Then on the other hand there are people who cant accept a women did a decent draw.

That's not really what I said. I said that if the opponent had been different (promotable), the numbers would have been much bigger. Cyborg vs Rousey would have been much bigger (not sure how anybody could be stupid enough to deny that).

But there is a bump in interest because it was the first female fight. I didn't say there wasn't, did I? Liz was too likable, and too unknown and too over-matched. I really don't see what you smacktards keep lol'ing about... If it had been Cyborg, it would have been much much bigger. You even disagree with that? The co-main didn't help either.

But, what you saw was *derp* RR is a bigger PPV draw than Lesnar! *derp*... She'll put up good numbers, especially with a marketable opponent.

JJ vs Anderson, and RR vs Cyborg in MSG would be cool. Tickets would be hard to get.
2/27/13 4:28 AM
diggity

Glovegate -
WTFPICS - LOL at comparing it to Ali/Frazier. I'm sure the fact that it was the UFC had nothing to do with that. For that to be a fair comparison, they needed to have Carmouche/Ronda with an independent promoter. I guarantee it would not have sold 125,000 ppv's.

Oh and I'm sure Hendo/Machida and Kos/Lawler had nothing to do with the sales either.

It's sad how people refuse to learn after making the same mistake 10k times in a row.

When Laila left, women's boxing went with her.  Enjoy your quick buck, Zuffa.  I'm sure the ladies won't mind being used and dumped after a year or so.

Oh, hi fun police.... Sorry... Phone Post
2/27/13 4:53 AM
hendofanforlife
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Told y'all it would sell fine. Haters ain't shit
2/27/13 6:06 AM
stonepony

willienugget - 
stonepony - 
UGCTT_Pervert -  That is incredible.

They could go up. RR and Liz were respectful and friendly. If it was someone like Tate, it would have done better than GSP numbers. If it was Cyborg, it might have done Brock Lesnar numbers. If it was Gina, it might have set the PPV record for the UFC.

Dan and Lyoto was not exactly a fight with a lot hinging on the outcome. They were meeting to see who gets to be stomped unmercifully by JJ.

Not saying it's going to happen, but has anyone considered the idea that all viewership goes up across the board because of this? There are probably a bunch of new fans.

And a lot of it is the fact that she is being dragged from media event to media event. She's been on TMZ a couple times, that kind of thing. She'll be on TRL Live soon enough (is TRL Live still on the air?). She'll be on Regis And... that dude from the Giants, their show. Jimmy Fallon will have her on. Conan. Kimmel... How many new fans if she does the Hunger Games sequel? What's the target demographic for that movie? She's going to have tween girls watching the UFC.

All she has to do is talk in to the next camera that someone points at her. She could, badmouth those Jersey Shore retards. And twitter would be abuzz. And it would be front-page news on the UG. She can snap her fingers and get media attention. Imagine if she subdued an armed robber at a convenience store or something? I bet DW dreams about that. RR rescuing a kid from a car fire or something.
2/27/13 8:20 AM
Authority Figure

slamming - 
Anderson's BBC in my Goku -  Huh? That gate doesn't seem right. Phone Post

It's about $3m off.

500k buys is amazing.

Dana already said that all the premium seats were bought early at top dollar. So that number would make sense. He gave less premium seats away as comps.

2/27/13 9:05 AM
KingOfFighters

Make an all wmma card show, and have ronda headline it, it would do under 30k buys.

2/27/13 9:33 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

For u fools claiming the card did well because the guys u are clueless. 157 crushed 156 which was stacked with bigger names. Phone Post
2/27/13 9:38 AM
Ironhouse
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once again Machida gets no credit for his massive drawing abilities.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.