UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Aldo can go to LW, but permanently

2/27/13 9:23 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On Monday it was reported that if UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo beat Anthony Pettis on August 3, he would receive a title shot vs. the winner of lightweight champion Benson Henderson vs. final Strikeforce titleholder Gilbert Melendez, who fight on April 20, at UFC on FOX 7. A win would elevate Aldo into the rarest air - joining Randy Couture and BJ Penn as the only fighters to take UFC titles in multiple weight classes.

There is a catch. If Aldo wants to move to 155, he has to stay there.

"He said that after Aldo beats Pettis, [Aldo] wants to move up to 155 and fight there," said UFC President Dana White on "UFC Tonight." "I said that was fine, but one of the managers called and said there was a misunderstanding, that he wants to go to 155, win the title, and go back to 145.

"That's not happening. If he moves to 155, he stays at 155, and he holds that belt. If Pettis wins the fight, Pettis is going to have to stay at 145 and defend that belt a couple of times."

Read entire article...

2/27/13 9:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
awesomestprime
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm surprised Dana actually has to say this?

Of course Aldo would have to vacate a belt to fight for another. That's the only thing that makes sense.
2/27/13 9:48 AM
KingOfFighters
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow shit is getting really interesting, UFC is going to do big things in 2013. Meanwhile UFC chump gsp wants no part of big fights.
2/27/13 9:52 AM
in_different
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like how this goes. if Aldo wins, he controls the LW division a couple years getting all fantasy fights basically. If Pettis wins, he defends against FW twice, then moves up for the LW belt against presumably Aldo or Bendo. Both of which are dynamic match ups & rematches
2/27/13 9:55 AM
Leck Brosnar

Edited: 02/27/13 9:56 AM
Edited for not reading :D
2/27/13 9:56 AM
Sofa King Cool
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let him hold both belts and fight six times a year. Phone Post
2/27/13 9:57 AM
Rockstars
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why wouldn't they let a guy try and run 2 divisions? Would love to see someone hold 2 belts for a while. Phone Post
2/27/13 10:02 AM
claw11
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rockstars - Why wouldn't they let a guy try and run 2 divisions? Would love to see someone hold 2 belts for a while. Phone Post
Well probably because that would be fuckin stupid!!! He doesn't fight enough, both divisions will be so backed up it won't even be funny. This isn't a video game dude. Phone Post
2/27/13 10:03 AM
awesomestprime
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rockstars -  Why wouldn't they let a guy try and run 2 divisions? Would love to see someone hold 2 belts for a while. Phone Post

And defend the belt once a year?

No thank you
2/27/13 10:15 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Thus is exactly what I tried to explain in all the threads about pettis or Aldo holding two belts at once. No way in hell Dana allows one Guy to hold up two divisions. Phone Post
2/27/13 10:45 AM
JamesOhYeah

Let him try and hold 145 and 155 belts.

I honestly can't find a logical reason forcing him to stay at 55.
2/27/13 10:52 AM
eljamaiquino

awesomestprime - I'm surprised Dana actually has to say this?

Of course Aldo would have to vacate a belt to fight for another. That's the only thing that makes sense.
Pettis said that he would go to 155 to fight Bendo after beating Aldo, so it's good that Dana is clarifying this. Phone Post
2/27/13 10:57 AM
MagSlim

JamesOhYeah - Let him try and hold 145 and 155 belts.

I honestly can't find a logical reason forcing him to stay at 55.

Well if he goes back to 45 the 'champ' at 55 will be coming off a loss, from a fight that was at 55 -- not a catchweight.

So your 55 'champ' would be coming off a loss defending his belt -- or the 'former champ' would be fighting a 'number one contender (which would really be himself)' for a vacant 55 belt.

It makes the next title fight at 55 either impossible to sell or a real dud if the dude who won the belt chooses not to defend.
2/27/13 11:49 AM
Hired Gun
360 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The way Dana has handled this situation to this point makes me root for Aldo that much more. I personally hope he destroys Pettis and Benson(both guys I really like). What Zuffa has said and done dealing with Aldo is just wrong. Here is one of the Top P4P Fighters right now and he is trying to give some credit to fighters that have fought and earned a shot in the 45 division only to be over stepped by Pettis. Edgar gets a pass because he held a title and Aldo gave him the respect he deserved that's exceptable.

Same goes for the Jones/Sonnen fight.
2/27/13 12:02 PM
This screen name is taken

Also will have a tougher time with Pettis than Henderson but beats them both pretty easily. Phone Post
2/27/13 12:02 PM
This screen name is taken

This screen name is taken - Also will have a tougher time with Pettis than Henderson but beats them both pretty easily. Phone Post
Aldo. Stupid iPhone. Phone Post
2/27/13 12:10 PM
easedel

This screen name is taken -  Also will have a tougher time with Pettis than Henderson but beats them both pretty easily. Phone Post

Hell Henderson is about to move up to 170. At least thats been talked about before. He is a big dude at 55.

All this fight is showing us now is its going to fuck up alot of other fighters in both divisions.

Is Aldo beats Pettis at 45 and moves up. Who fights for the 45 belt? How far back does Pettis go considering the only fight at 45 would be losing a belt fight to Aldo in the first place. If Pettis wins, does Aldo get an immediate rematch?

Same can be said about Benson, if he wins vs Aldo..does he decide to move up or does Aldo get a immediate rematch? Same if Benson loses, does he get an immediate rematch? So you have what? over a year tied between Benson and Aldo if Aldo beats Pettis.

Wasn't Pettis in line for a fight vs Benson to begin with?

Tons of fuckery
2/27/13 12:13 PM
kid chaos
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hasn't this been proved before with Bj penn and GSP?

Penn was champion, went up, fought gsp and lost. Went back down and defended his title and looked like a beast in doing so. Phone Post
2/27/13 12:24 PM
KingOfFighters

Doctor NPD - 
KingOfFighters - Wow shit is getting really interesting, UFC is going to do big things in 2013. Meanwhile UFC chump gsp wants no part of big fights.

KingOfFighters? More like KingOfSuckingMultipleBagsOfDicksInOneSitting

Says a trend following 12'er who's opinion isn't worth 2 shits.
2/27/13 12:35 PM
easedel

KingOfFighters - 
Doctor NPD - 
KingOfFighters - Wow shit is getting really interesting, UFC is going to do big things in 2013. Meanwhile UFC chump gsp wants no part of big fights.

And yours is?
2/27/13 12:37 PM
KingOfFighters

easedel - 
KingOfFighters - 
Doctor NPD - 

And yours is?

I see you trend following, skinny jean wearing pussies stick together.
2/27/13 12:39 PM
genDAV
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sofa King Cool -  Let him hold both belts and fight six times a year. Phone Post

man it'd be nice if he even fought three times in a year and wasn't getting injured so much
2/27/13 12:41 PM
cheesesteak
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it me or is Dana on a massive power trip? I have a feeling one day he might catch a severe beating from a fighter that has had enough of his shit.
2/27/13 12:48 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - Is it me or is Dana on a massive power trip? I have a feeling one day he might catch a severe beating from a fighter that has had enough of his shit.
Is this a joke? Phone Post
2/27/13 2:12 PM
Macedawgg
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought weights were not dictated? 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.