UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: Fighting will pay Rousey more than movies

2/27/13 10:54 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In a report yesterday, Dave Meltzer commented that Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey was already fielding offers from Hollywood, including a part in the upcoming Hunger Games sequel. Meltzer joked that perhaps the UFC had done an almost too good job at promoting Rousey and eventually could risk losing her to Hollywood in the same way Gina Carano transitioned to acting.

Although the lure of Hollywood can be enticing, UFC President Dana White is confident that Rousey will make the most money possible by continuing to fight:

"You know how I feel about the movie stuff. When Rampage did the movie, it was his dream to be a part of the A-Team. I don't want to take away any opportunities from Ronda, but at the same time, her window of opportunity as a professional athlete is really narrow. She could make a zillion movies when she retires. Where she's really going to get the money is here fighting. I don't care if she's the lead role in ‘The Hunger Games 2,' she would not make anywhere near - I mean, not even in the universe - to the money she makes fighting."

read entire article...

2/27/13 11:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if Dana knows Jen Lawerence is getting 10 mil for Hunger Games 2? Not that they are even comparable, but Dana says some stupid shit sometimes that isn't really required to make his points.
2/27/13 11:06 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's 100% right. Only the top level actors in starring roles in big pictures make millions. Ronda will make millions with the UFC if she hasn't already. Phone Post
2/27/13 11:08 AM

that being said, if doing the movie doesnt take that long, blaf should be all for it..being in a HUGE movie = free press for the UFC

2/27/13 11:09 AM
ShakeR_

Yeah, lead rolls in big movies can mean $10 - $20 million. I doubt Rhonda's getting the lead, but to say "even the lead roll won't be in the same universe" is LOL.

Unless of course the UFC plans on paying Rousey $100 million per fight... Ha Phone Post
2/27/13 11:17 AM
sxnieves

Dana just loves to hear him self talk my god he would say anything to make the UFC look better. Why are you cutting so many people if there's so much money to be made? Phone Post
2/27/13 11:17 AM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is wrong about what she would make if she were offered the lead in a major Hollywood blockbuster, but realistically that is not going to happen. For the kinds of role she would be offered, she would get paid significantly less than she would fighting.

Obviously, that equation might change if she becomes a legit Hollywood starlet, but the odds of that happening are pretty slim. The overwhelming majority of actors/actresses never make it to that level.
2/27/13 11:19 AM
JOESONDO
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Her part would likely be small/supporting. They don't pay too much for those roles, so it wouldn't be surprising if Rousey collected a lot more from the UFC (pay, sponsorships, PPV cut).
2/27/13 11:22 AM
Out To Lunch
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone know if Rampage made decent money for being in the A-Team?
2/27/13 11:24 AM
sacredhate
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how much is Gina making?

how much did Rampage make?

how about Randy? he actually got to be the scorpion King.

men pay to see female action stars when they look like swimsuit models. I think Dana is on point. A single movie might make more than a single fight, but I have no doubt 5 years of being focused on fighting will make them way more than 5 years focused on movies.

2/27/13 11:25 AM

Out To Lunch - Does anyone know if Rampage made decent money for being in the A-Team?

according to rampage it was like 100K. some really small amount. and he had a leading role.

2/27/13 11:26 AM

sacredhate - how much is Gina making?

how much did Rampage make?

how about Randy? he actually got to be the scorpion King.

men pay to see female action stars when they look like swimsuit models. I think Dana is on point. A single movie might make more than a single fight, but I have no doubt 5 years of being focused on fighting will make them way more than 5 years focused on movies.

they all probably make 100K or a couple 100K.

2/27/13 11:28 AM
Don_Dada
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Hunger Games movie role offer is complete nonsense imo.
2/27/13 11:35 AM
Out To Lunch
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 
Out To Lunch - Does anyone know if Rampage made decent money for being in the A-Team?

according to rampage it was like 100K. some really small amount. and he had a leading role.

That's nothing. Gina Carano seems to be making okay money though.
2/27/13 11:35 AM
sacredhate
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it might be nice for her to be in a cameo...but no way in hell is she going to make more than she would fighting.

even if she put a movie out every year.

found these two links interesting when trying to figure it out:

http://www.wetpaint.com/network/articles/how-much-do-hollywoods-highestpaid-actors-and-actresses-make-a-battle-of-the-sexes

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/how-much-does/how-much-does-actor-make/
2/27/13 1:58 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She obviously is not getting a main title in a movie like the hunger games but if she was she would make significently more money then she would fighting.

Its not going to happen though. Or at least not likely. Because with movies there is still a little skill called acting that is required. Now Rhonda might be an unexpected natural but i highly doubt she has the acting chops of a certain miss Lawrence. The reason  the hunger games movies where not rather unexpectedly good (Twilight really lowered the bar on these type of vehicles) was because they where filled with really good actors.

Now if Rhonda goes the Gina way (conceivable because,even though i adore Gina to bits, her acting is not great either...though she is a lot better looking then Rhonda and being a main female lead usually required looks and acting chops or an insane amount of acting chops if the looks are so and so) she would still make a decent amount of cash in Hollywood but she would conceivable make more cash doing it simultaneously with fighting in the UFC. Because the most money would be from sponsors and those would be directly related to her fighting in the UFC.

Still people who are saying that Rhonda already made millions fighting in the UFC are not doing their math correctly. She will make millions if she consistantly keeps drawning 400K on her PPV cards (and thats only salary ....there is still the sponsorships that should bring in even more ). Having said all that i am still a little on the fence if this will be the case. I am not trying to hate and the numbers are obviously going to prove that there is a lot of interest for female MMA  but specifically in Rhonda. But i am not a hundred percent sure if she will keep doing those numbers with a weaker co main event (on paper) then the Machida vs Hendo fight. Then again Dana might decide to put her together with strong co main events and the Ronda train keeps on rolling. Still there not that many big fights to make and the historic event and all the mainstream buzz that comes with it has past. The true litmus test has only come after three of four main events. The signs are good  (better then i personally thought) but i do not agree with some peoples assements  that the division is not less deep then most other newer divisions in the UFC (an comment of Ariel Helwani on the MMA hour).

BTW if Rampage only received a hundred thousand for the role he was playing in the A team he really needs to get another manager because he was freakishly underpaid.

2/27/13 2:02 PM
TaeKwonBendoTopTeam623

Ronda made 90k for her fight (45 to show 45 to win) you think she'd make more in a movie role?i do. Phone Post
2/27/13 2:05 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TaeKwonBendoTopTeam623 - Ronda made 90k for her fight (45 to show 45 to win) you think she'd make more in a movie role?i do. Phone Post
You are crazy if you think that's all she made. She's getting ppv points and who knows what else Phone Post
2/27/13 4:52 PM
Filo_Beto

sxnieves -  Dana just loves to hear him self talk my god he would say anything to make the UFC look better. Why are you cutting so many people if there's so much money to be made? Phone Post

You sir are correct!!!!!
2/27/13 4:52 PM
Filo_Beto

sxnieves -  Dana just loves to hear him self talk my god he would say anything to make the UFC look better. Why are you cutting so many people if there's so much money to be made? Phone Post

You sir are correct!!!!!
2/27/13 4:53 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if Ronda will be a victim of the "casting couch" a long known Hollywood secret.
2/27/13 5:26 PM
RondasSportsBra

Rampage said he only made 100k for A-Team.

Ronda would probably get similar.
2/27/13 5:31 PM

Out To Lunch - 
Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 

That's nothing. Gina Carano seems to be making okay money though.

dont know about that,..she was in a low-budget indie flick in haywaire..yeah she was the star, but doubt she pulled in a lot there, especially since it did not do well at the BO..other than that seems like she had bit roles..even in a huge film like fast furious, she cant be making that much for a bit role

2/27/13 5:36 PM
guardbr8kr

it's not ALWAYS about the money Dana.
2/27/13 5:37 PM
New Leaf 1.0

NotImpressedByYourScreenName - 
Anderson's BBC in my Goku - He's 100% right. Only the top level actors in starring roles in big pictures make millions. Ronda will make millions with the UFC if she hasn't already. Phone Post
You mean like the 45/45 she just got for winning a title fight?

And GTFO with secret locker room bonuses Phone Post

They aren't a secret, it's just that the bulk of what MMA fighters get paid isn't "fight purse."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.