UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Advice

2/28/13 1:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GARRA
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joined a new gym opposite my office. I can get there 4 or on a good week 5x per week lunch Times and fit in a 30 to 35 min workout per session. Any suggestions on mating best use of time? Cardio and muscular endurance for bjj are my primary concern.

I train bjj Mon, wed, Fri and Saturday.
Was thinking 2x full body weights sessions and 2 or 3 cardio sessions (they have a load of concept 2 rowers)

Thanks in advance Phone Post
2/28/13 2:11 PM
5pointer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

id do squat bench day 1(hard and heavy), throw in some extra lighter work.. curls or lateral db raises

day 2, id deadlift and row (hard and heavy)throw n some light extra work.. triceps or whatnot.

2/28/13 2:12 PM
5pointer

im no exprt but i been doing 2x a week similar for a few weeks and have seen strength gains already.

2/28/13 2:13 PM
5pointer

sorry, just reread original post/my routine prolly not the best for muscular endurance/more for explosive strength
2/28/13 2:15 PM
GARRA
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5pointer what reps, set split you using and % or 1repmax? Always interested in people's training Phone Post
3/1/13 1:21 AM
Chocolate Shatner
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I go with a stripped down 5/3/1 or 5x5 program 3 times a week, and the other two do cardio. Honestly, if you are training hard at BJJ, your cardio should be sufficient without a lot of extra rowing.
3/1/13 3:28 AM
Leigh
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get on the crosstrainer or bike, stick resistance up and grind it out. Phone Post
3/1/13 4:51 AM
GARRA

Cheers Leigh. Do you recon 5x5s Mon, wed, Fri and cross trainer tues, Thurs?
As I'm teaching bjj I sometimes don't get to workout myself as much as I'd like. As I said cardio and muscular endurance are the biggys for me Phone Post
3/1/13 5:10 AM
Leigh
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, cardio is your main goal, so you should do more of it. Strength isn't your main goal so spending 60% of your S&C workouts on it is probably overkill. Phone Post
3/1/13 5:19 AM
GARRA

Cool cheers, any pointers on what to do when with what would be awesome. Phone Post
3/1/13 5:58 AM
Leigh

Well that's all individual. Cookie cutter programs only take you so far. You need to factor in your personal life wrt recovery, energy levels etc. How much BJJ training you actually get, how strong you are, if you have any strength goals at all etc etc. I'm not really prepared to write you a personalised program but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out - do as much cardio as you need to meet your goals, have time off when you need time off. If you need to get stronger, add a lifting day. If that's not enough, add another.

Personally, I think you'd get the most sport specific endurance by doing extra sessions of sparring. If you were to budget, say, 3 cardio sessions per week, making them 3 sessions of rolling would be best IMHO.
3/1/13 6:04 AM
GARRA

Sweet Phone Post
3/1/13 12:16 PM
Taku
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/02/13 7:56 PM

I like this book:

MIND GAINS

There is a companion audio tape as well.

TAKU

oops...wrong thread...lol@ me.

3/1/13 10:53 PM
gusto

training bjj 4x a week is already a lot of cardio if you are rolling rounds each class, imo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.