UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Recommend me a book

2/28/13 2:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Collin Reuter
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For sports psychology / confidence. something to help me get in a good mindset for competition. Phone Post
2/28/13 3:09 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/13 3:09 PM
I really like "Maximum Climbing". True its intended purpose is for rock climbing, but I think the mental exercises in it are applicable across the board and just to life in general. Eric Hoorst or something like that is the author.
2/28/13 3:12 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Climbing-Training-Performance-Experience/dp/0762755326
2/28/13 3:41 PM
Collin Reuter
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll check it out next thanks! I picked up a book called willpower this time Phone Post
3/1/13 1:18 AM
Chocolate Shatner
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I kinda liked Harv Dorfman's book "Coaching the Mental Game."

While it was divided into two sections, one supposedly for coaches and another for the athletes, there was good stuff throughout. A cautionary note, since it is divided, sometimes he not only repeats terms (which he stated he did intentionally because both coaches and athletes need to know them) but sometimes anecdotes and advice as well. Overall though, a great book, a good read.
3/1/13 10:17 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of their shit gets pretty crazy and cultish, but there are some NLP (Neurolinguistic programming) techniques that are useful for having a more positive mindset when training and preparing for a fight.

For example, I'm kind of anti-social in the gym somedays because I don't want to hear someone say "oh man I'm tired" or complain about shit when I'm already feeling bad because I can almost feel that sap my energy. It's odd but you'll notice folks sometimes get into a circle jerk about who feels the worst and I want to join the pity party too. But on my good days that kind of negative language pumps me up because I know then I'm going to treat them like my bitch cause I feel like a fucking monster.

While I learned that kind of positive 'self talk' on my own, reading up on NLP helped reinforce and refine some of the techniques I had already begun using. I think it was "The Big Book of NLP Techniques" that I read. Anyway NLP helped especially with self-visualization stuff. My earlier qi-gong experiences had led me down that route and I never really stopped (Breathe in blue soft healing energy, breathe out red 'bad' energy type shit). So after having some positive effects I went ahead and did some more research which lead me to participating in a seminar by this guy:

http://www.nlplifetraining.com/general-articles/fighters-mind-nlp-coaching-for-elite-performance

I have some downtime on sundays, I'll find my notebook (or just do it from memory) and I'll write up what I found useful.
3/2/13 1:02 AM
Collin Reuter

Interesting I'll have to check that out Phone Post
3/2/13 1:51 AM
Taku
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I could have sworn I put this up earlier today.

http://tinyurl.com/b7dpgor

TAKU

3/2/13 8:17 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You did, some how it wound up in a thread titled "Advice"
3/2/13 7:55 PM
Taku
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF??? I am losing it.

TAKU

3/2/13 9:20 PM
MushroomHead
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/3/13 3:45 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New Toughness Training Sports-James Loehr

3/3/13 4:06 PM
Ply
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/3/13 10:18 PM
Hywel Teague
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
What kind of competition?

Wrestling Tough is good for grappling / mma
3/9/13 2:46 PM
imkeithhernandez
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peaceful Warrior-Dan Millman Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.