UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Charlie Haden

2/28/13 10:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
687 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/01/13 6:52 PM

One of the "Bass Gods" series. Charlie Haden was my first "favorite" stand-up bass player. I grew up on classical and rock music. I didn't really pick out the bass on classical records; rock records had bass guitar. Still a rock guy, I had a few jazz records in junior high school and high school. Two of them were Ornette Coleman albums with Haden, and he just blew me away. Everything about the albums blew me away, or confused me one, -- between Ornette and Don Cherry and Billy Higgins... but this thread is for Haden.

Haden was a professional musician at 2 years old, literally, when he sang country music on a weekly radio show "The Haden Family Hour", in Iowa. He was one of the originators of "Free Jazz" as part of Ornette Coleman's bands, with Don Cherry and either Billy Higgins or Ed Blackwell on drums. Legends, all. He's rarely a "chops" guy, but has the most profound bass tone of anyone, and can improvise freely and spin beauty out of nothing as well as anyone to pick up (or lean on) the instrument. I'd rather listen to Charlie Haden playing even quarter notes than almost anybody else doing almost anything else on the bass. His note choices and his tone and his timing are just that good.

And youtube sucks, still, as far as providing the evidence for getting across his greatness. There are some more up-front solo things Haden did that I wanted to share, but alas, not on the 'tube. So I had to scrounge around a bit to find some stuff to share that included this bass giant.

I saw his band Quartet West a couple of times in Knoxville Tennessee (I think). Or Knoxville and Chattanooga? Something like that. Once at some college. Once at the Bijou Theatre. That was back in the 90s.

Here he is with a version of Quartet West (here with Gary Foster sitting in for the missing Ernie Watts, on saxophone). The tune is "First Song for Ruth". Ruth Crawford is his wife... so presumably this is his love song, a la another band's "Babe" uh, kinda sorta (not). (If you read that thread, you understand me. If not, don't worry about it).
2/28/13 10:19 PM
Ali
687 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's "Lonely Woman", which was an original Ornette piece with Haden. Here done with Dewey Redman on sax, Paul Motian on drums, Mick Goodrick on guitar. This is one of my favorite Ornette melodies:

2/28/13 10:25 PM
Ali

Edited: 02/28/13 10:31 PM
This is with the Ginger Baker Trio, with Haden and Bill Frisell on the guitar. A Haden tune from Ornette Coleman's "Change of the Century", originally. Frisell's playing what was the saxophone/trumpet part. Haden is doing what he did on the original. This is a cool live version of one my favorite tunes ever. Solo honors to Frisell maybe, so listen to that (first solo); Haden's solo comes in at 5:05, and pretty representative of what he does as a soloist, which is not about shred or gunslinging, and is entirely individual

2/28/13 10:37 PM
Ali

This is "Fat Lip", the last track on the first of John Scofield's Blue Note records; it features a different bass and drum pairing than the rest -- this is with Charlie Haden and Jack DeJohnette. Sco is the guitarist and Joe Lovano on sax (as with the rest of the album). There's a brief drum solo, no bass solo, but I love this sort of rock-ish energy, like Haden brought to some of the early Ornette Coleman records.

2/28/13 10:50 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/01/13 6:04 PM
I could keep going. And I might. But Hugo asked me to tell a story about seeing Haden....

But first a different Haden story. Or a description/vignette, anyway. I saw his band Quartet West the first time at a small college in Knoxville. Don't remember what it was called. My friend Blair just drove me there, so I didn't need to pay attention. Lots of old white people with bald heads. (I still had hair at the time... now I'd be one of those people). Sedate music, a very sedate audience. But after the last tune, when the band left the stage, this crowd was standing and stomping feet and just... really making a point that they wanted more. And this went on for a very long time. Seemed like forever, but ... literally over 10 minutes. Like, he's not coming back. And people didn't budge or quiet down, even.

He saunters back to the stage, by himself, approaches a microphone (not near his bass) and sort of blurts out "what??"... "What....?" till people quieted down enough that he could be heard. Haden talks really slowly, something of a bewildered attitude to his speech.

"What's that they say? 'He's so cool, he calls his mother Man'?"

At which point the audience got real quiet, you could almost see the group thought balloon "Wha? WTF?". The dead silence.

Haden kind of stutters into the void, saying "No no no... I mean... I was just back stage... called my mom! I told her I was in Nashville. Is this Nashville?" (Crowd screams as one: "KNOXVILLE!") Sorry, Knoxville... and I told her, I'm here in Tennessee and I'm getting all this applause and I have to get back to the stage, and she keep talkin' to me, man. And I'm like ok... ok.... I gotta go play... thanks... ok, man. Man. I called my mother 'man'. My mother just got all stern said 'Charles....' I was like, 'sorry ma...'"

Then he sauntered over to the bass and played a short solo.
2/28/13 11:05 PM
Ali

Charlie credits this one to his son, Josh Haden. I don't believe it. (Or, put another way... I've heard the original, and it's different enough that it's not this thing... this beauty.... but ok, Charlie does a stunning interpretation). This is called "Spiritual":

2/28/13 11:10 PM
Ali

Charlie talks about jazz, only nothing to do with jazz, the history of the universe, spirituality, bringing out the wood, a rainforest.... sounding like Charlie in very, very serious mood. But sounding like Charlie. This is part annoying, part funny, part beautiful:

3/1/13 1:59 AM
Ali

Edited: 03/01/13 6:01 PM
Ok, the story Hugo's been asking for. Wait. I need a prelude to it. I need two preludes to it. So FRAT warning for both. A separate FRAT warning for the second, but FRAT warning now. Nobody's required to read this, obviously. Except Hugo, but it doesn't matter if he's required, because he can't help himself. Did I say FRAT warning?

First, I didn't "put my hands on" Charlie Haden like people usually mean that phrase. There was nothing aggressive in it. I did not "step to" Charlie Haden. And yes, I touched his jacket. (And yes, I wish I didn't, but not because of any consequences.... just because it was intrinsically the wrong thing to do). (And I'm kind of glad I did, because it's still funny to me).

Second prelude.... this looks like it has nothing to do with Charlie Haden, so you can skip this one for FRAT reasons. Have I mentioned that? But it might be helpful as an intraskullular reveal... it shows one of the synaptic closures, or one well worn brain groove, that makes me the machine I am. Or made me the machine I was. I think I learned something since then (something like 20 years have passed...)

When I was a freshman in college, I befriended a senior, a very cool guy named Mark. Who is now a doctor in New Hampshire. But we bonded over music (he knocked on my door when I was blasting Adrian Belew's "Big Electric Cat" and... I expected a complaint about how loud the stereo was, but no.... he HAD to know what that KILLER TUNE was to buy it... friends for life).

Mark's older brother Jerry would visit from time to time. Jerry was not particularly handsome (or unhandsome), like a strange mix of preppy and business man with a hint of sleaze, and was around 30. Jerry always... always... had some super hot girl. Different one every time. I marveled, I was jealous of his game (but we didn't call it that. This is 1982).... I was curious. What's the deal with punching so far above his weight?

Jerry said he just talks to them, gets rejections, moves on to the next without blinking. But always finds a way to talk to them. Talk to 11 girls if 10 were strike outs. Just move. It's a statistical thing.

One day he was visiting and saw a nameplate on a desk with a pretty lady who worked for the food service. He saw her name. He asks, "Are you Mary?" And of course, she's Mary... and the conversation just flew from there. I'm like... really? That's your opening line? That's all???OK.
The next time... and here's the point... the next time I saw him in action, anyway, there was hot girl with killer curves in a fairly heavy, but still tight, striped sweater. This was in New England, and it was cold (October or something). And he just pinches some fabric from the bicep and asks loudly "Is that a sweater you're wearing?"

And yes, he was still talking to the girl 20 minutes later. Is that a sweater you're wearing. But with a question mark. Unbelievable.
3/1/13 4:40 PM
hugomma
948 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - Ok, the story Hugo's been asking for. Wait. I need a prelude to it. I need two preludes to it. So FRAT warning for both. A separate FRAT warning for the second, but FAT warning now. Nobody's required to read this, obviously. Except Hugo, but it doesn't matter if he's required, because he can't help himself. Did I say FRAT warning?

First, I didn't "put my hands on" Charlie Haden like people usually mean that phrase. There was nothing aggressive in it. I did not "step to" Charlie Haden. And yes, I touched his jacket. (And yes, I wish I didn't, but not because of any consequences.... just because it was intrinsically the wrong thing to do). (And I'm kind of glad I did, because it's still funny to me).

Second prelude.... this looks like it has nothing to do with Charlie Haden, so you can skip this one for FRAT reasons. Have I mentioned that? But it might be helpful as an intraskullular reveal... it shows one of the synaptic closures, or one well worn brain groove, that makes me the machine I am. Or made me the machine I was. I think I learned something since then (something like 20 years have passed...)

When I was a freshman in college, I befriended a senior, a very cool guy named Mark. Who is now a doctor in New Hampshire. But we bonded over music (he knocked on my door when I was blasting Adrian Belew's "Big Electric Cat" and... I expected a complaint about how loud the stereo was, but no.... he HAD to know what that KILLER TUNE was to buy it... friends for life).

Mark's older brother Jerry would visit from time to time. Jerry was not particularly handsome (or unhandsome), like a strange mix of preppy and business man with a hint of sleaze, and was around 30. Jerry always... always... had some super hot girl. Different one every time. I marveled, I was jealous of his game (but we didn't call it that. This is 1982).... I was curious. What's the deal with punching so far above his weight?

Jerry said he just talks to them, gets rejections, moves on to the next without blinking. But always finds a way to talk to them. Talk to 11 girls if 10 were strike outs. Just move. It's a statistical thing.

One day he was visiting and saw a nameplate on a desk with a pretty lady who worked for the food service. He saw her name. He asks, "Are you Mary?" And of course, she's Mary... and the conversation just flew from there. I'm like... really? That's your opening line? That's all???OK.
The next time... and here's the point... the next time I saw him in action, anyway, there was hot girl with killer curves in a fairly heavy, but still tight, striped sweater. This was in New England, and it was cold (October or something). And he just pinches some fabric from the bicep and asks loudly "Is that a sweater you're wearing?"

And yes, he was still talking to the girl 20 minutes later. Is that a sweater you're wearing. But with a question mark. Unbelievable.

Okay...off to a good start here.  Please continue.

3/1/13 5:41 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/01/13 5:54 PM
Here it is. I'm terrible with time frames. Must've been early-mid 90s.

I was living in Nashville, where I went to grad school for a while. I have some friends (took a while to find some, but I did). Some of these friends have concert tickets, so... we drive up to Knoxville from Nashville to see Charlie Haden's Quartet West. One guy is my friend Blair -- my "jazz mentor" at the time. Blair was a drummer, studied record engineering at Berklee, was the jazz buyer for Tower Records. He was into it longer than I was. Kathryne was an 18-year old, cute girl that really wanted to go, but she couldn't last second for reasons I don't recall.

In Knoxville, there's The Bijou Theater. It's a beautiful venue, bigger than I wished, but it's a real, grand old theater, not a club.

The show is good, too much mellow for me, but obviously all those guys are great players and they all stood out at one time or other. Haden and Alan Broadbent on piano, especially, I thought.

After the show, Blair suggests we go talk to the guys in the band. We see they're hanging around, in an open back stage area. That is, part of the stage that's curtained off during the show, now uncurtained, lights up, and Haden and Ernie Watts are hanging around. I'm not sure that I have anything to say to them at that point ("Man, I loved you with Ornette...." ?? What the hell do I have to say to a Giant of the music after a concert that I thought was kinda ok-to-good?)

But... my friend Kathryne couldn't come last second, and I had a program. So I figure I'll get Haden to sign it for Kathryne. That's what I have to say.

By the time we get up there, it's still just Watts and Haden, the other two guys took off. I knew nothing at all about Watts at the time, but he had a small line of people waiting to talk to him. Haden had a HUGE line of people waiting to talk to him by the time we got there. So Blair.... Blair can talk to anybody. He says, let's go talk to Ernie.

So we get in line, like 8 people back, shake his hand, I say nothing other than "great show" and Blair starts talking to him about.... playing with the Stones. Or playing in Carson's band. I didn't know any of that ...

"Do you miss the Tonight Show Orchestra?" "NO!.... I do miss the guys. Some of the guys. A lot". Pete Christlieb? "Whew... Pete Christlieb...." (nodding). Like that. Then we hang around and wait... the line for Charlie has gotten a bit smaller.

So we get in that line. It's like a receiving line at a wedding or something. It's moving pretty fast.

Pretty fast of course, until this one guy, tall guy, the guy in immediately ahead of me. I will refer to him as This Guy. This Guy is talking. Charlie is answering. It's all really banal. Really. Like the most banal of banal. "Where did you play last night? Where you going next? How long a drive is that? Do you take that bass on planes?".... like.... forever. Seemed like forever, maybe it was 10 minutes. In that context it seemed like 30.

And this guy just waited between questions. Pause. Pause. He didn't move on. He just stood there and tried to think of something to ask. Pause. Then he thought of it. Then he paused again. Then asked it. And Charlie answered. And then he paused. Again and again.

I'm just mentally shoving this guy off the stage. WTF, dude? He stood there. Another question about the strings. Charlie answers. Something about the strings. A question about the stage arrangment. Charlie answers.

Haden himself did not seem impatient with this. No telling, but if he was bothered he didn't let it show. Nope, it's my problem. Haden also didn't fill up the spaces left by all the thinking, either. He just let all the long silences go.... till this guy asked something.... then answered.... How the fuck long is this going on???

So this guy starts looking around at things... trying to think of other questions just... to be with Charlie Haden, I guess. I don't know. "So pretty cool chandelier up there in this theater, right?" kind of questions. Haden responds: "Yeah, man, that chandelier is cool...."

Literally, like that. Looking for things to point out. It's a variant on Chris Farley's character asking "remember when you played that descending run in 'Song for Che....?" "Yeah, yeah, I remember that". "That was cool".

Like that.

So I'm just mentally punching this guy in the back of his head thinking DIE DIE DIE, all Henry Rollins-like because I'm tired, and tired of standing there, and I can't believe how stupid one question after the other is... STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT DUMB. JUST DIE. Then comes what, in my impatient uptight mood, I decide (correctly or not) is the stupidest question of all. It could have been anything and I would have decided it was the stupidest question of all, just because it was the latest. But I say that in retrospect. At the time, this was obviously the STUPIDEST question of all. I'm not proud. Just telling you how it was.

Charlie's bass is about three feet behind him, to his left, lying on its side. Everybody in line has been checking out the bass, a beautiful antique and something to behold. I've seen it... but the guy is still casting about for things to notice and ask about. He sees there's a rolled up t-shirt under the bridge of the bass, to mute the strings. It's clearly a rolled up t-shirt. Last question the guy asks, with great confusion and maybe wonderment, is: "IS THAT A T-SHIRT?" It's very clearly a t-shirt. Charlie answers, "Yeah, yeah, man. That's a t-shirt. To mute the strings. I used a rolled up t-shirt."

It just so happens that was the last thing he came up with. And with that answer.... this guy.... he FINALLY steps aside, allowing me to speak to Charlie Haden. So I step up, without, I think, missing a beat... and I grab Charlie Haden's lapel and I ask: "IS THAT A JACKET YOU'RE WEARING?"
3/1/13 6:12 PM
hugomma
948 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - Here it is. I'm terrible with time frames. Must've been early-mid 90s.

I was living in Nashville, where I went to grad school for a while. I have some friends (took a while to find some, but I did). Some of these friends have concert tickets, so... we drive up to Knoxville from Nashville to see Charlie Haden's Quartet West. One guy is my friend Blair -- my "jazz mentor" at the time. Blair was a drummer, studied record engineering at Berklee, was the jazz buyer for Tower Records. He was into it longer than I was. Kathryne was an 18-year old, cute girl that really wanted to go, but she couldn't last second for reasons I don't recall.

In Knoxville, there's The Bijou Theater. It's a beautiful venue, bigger than I wished, but it's a real, grand old theater, not a club.

The show is good, too much mellow for me, but obviously all those guys are great players and they all stood out at one time or other. Haden and Alan Broadbent on piano, especially, I thought.

After the show, Blair suggests we go talk to the guys in the band. We see they're hanging around, in an open back stage area. That is, part of the stage that's curtained off during the show, now uncurtained, lights up, and Haden and Ernie Watts are hanging around. I'm not sure that I have anything to say to them at that point ("Man, I loved you with Ornette...." ?? What the hell do I have to say to a Giant of the music after a concert that I thought was kinda ok-to-good?)

But... my friend Kathryne couldn't come last second, and I had a program. So I figure I'll get Haden to sign it for Kathryne. That's what I have to say.

By the time we get up there, it's still just Watts and Haden, the other two guys took off. I knew nothing at all about Watts at the time, but he had a small line of people waiting to talk to him. Haden had a HUGE line of people waiting to talk to him by the time we got there. So Blair.... Blair can talk to anybody. He says, let's go talk to Ernie.

So we get in line, like 8 people back, shake his hand, I say nothing other than "great show" and Blair starts talking to him about.... playing with the Stones. Or playing in Carson's band. I didn't know any of that ...

"Do you miss the Tonight Show Orchestra?" "NO!.... I do miss the guys. Some of the guys. A lot". Pete Christlieb? "Whew... Pete Christlieb...." (nodding). Like that. Then we hang around and wait... the line for Charlie has gotten a bit smaller.

So we get in that line. It's like a receiving line at a wedding or something. It's moving pretty fast.

Pretty fast of course, until this one guy, tall guy, the guy in immediately ahead of me. I will refer to him as This Guy. This Guy is talking. Charlie is answering. It's all really banal. Really. Like the most banal of banal. "Where did you play last night? Where you going next? How long a drive is that? Do you take that bass on planes?".... like.... forever. Seemed like forever, maybe it was 10 minutes. In that context it seemed like 30.

And this guy just waited between questions. Pause. Pause. He didn't move on. He just stood there and tried to think of something to ask. Pause. Then he thought of it. Then he paused again. Then asked it. And Charlie answered. And then he paused. Again and again.

I'm just mentally shoving this guy off the stage. WTF, dude? He stood there. Another question about the strings. Charlie answers. Something about the strings. A question about the stage arrangment. Charlie answers.

Haden himself did not seem impatient with this. No telling, but if he was bothered he didn't let it show. Nope, it's my problem. Haden also didn't fill up the spaces left by all the thinking, either. He just let all the long silences go.... till this guy asked something.... then answered.... How the fuck long is this going on???

So this guy starts looking around at things... trying to think of other questions just... to be with Charlie Haden, I guess. I don't know. "So pretty cool chandelier up there in this theater, right?" kind of questions. Haden responds: "Yeah, man, that chandelier is cool...."

Literally, like that. Looking for things to point out. It's a variant on Chris Farley's character asking "remember when you played that descending run in 'Song for Che....?" "Yeah, yeah, I remember that". "That was cool".

Like that.

So I'm just mentally punching this guy in the back of his head thinking DIE DIE DIE, all Henry Rollins-like because I'm tired, and tired of standing there, and I can't believe how stupid one question after the other is... STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT DUMB. JUST DIE. Then comes what, in my impatient uptight mood, I decide (correctly or not) is the stupidest question of all. It could have been anything and I would have decided it was the stupidest question of all, just because it was the latest. But I say that in retrospect. At the time, this was obviously the STUPIDEST question of all. I'm not proud. Just telling you how it was.

Charlie's bass is about three feet behind him, to his left, lying on its side. Everybody in line has been checking out the bass, a beautiful antique and something to behold. I've seen it... but the guy is still casting about for things to notice and ask about. He sees there's a rolled up t-shirt under the bridge of the bass, to mute the strings. It's clearly a rolled up t-shirt. Last question the guy asks, with great confusion and maybe wonderment, is: "IS THAT A T-SHIRT?" It's very clearly a t-shirt. Charlie answers, "Yeah, yeah, man. That's a t-shirt. To mute the strings. I used a rolled up t-shirt."

It just so happens that was the last thing he came up with. And with that answer.... this guy.... he FINALLY steps aside, allowing me to speak to Charlie Haden. So I step up, without, I think, missing a beat... and I grab Charlie Haden's lapel and I ask: "IS THAT A JACKET YOU'RE WEARING?"

LOL...so you put your hands on one of the greatest bassists of all time (correction: one of the bass GOAT's LAPELS) because of your buddy Jerry's success at picking up chicks with stupid questions, & an annoying douchebag in front of you asking stupid questions.  Oh man...That's some Larry David shit right there.

I wish I could've seen that. 

3/1/13 6:28 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/01/13 7:04 PM
Well... I was trying to be funny.

It didn't really have anything to do with Jerry's success picking up chicks. I just had been laughing, already, like a running joke, for years, at: "Is that a sweater you're wearing?" That was already funny. I know Charlie Haden won't get it as a reference, which compounds the humor for me, but it's just funny already. And the guy DID ask: "Is that a t-shirt...?"

So the t-shirt question, and the sweater question in my head... and ... and... well yeah, I was being a sarcastic dick at the other dude's expense, I guess. Haden was not thinking that the next person in line would be commenting on the previous person. I couldn't imagine he wasn't going nuts inside with this other dude, but maybe he wasn't. Sigh. And I have the habit of thinking humor justifies anything. Oh well.

Haden stepped back, recoiled like I did grab him. (I first wrote that "I pinched his lapel", which is more accurate. More tailor than bar drunk. But "grabbed" makes the story better).

Still he kind stepped back like he thought I was gonna hit him and looked down at my hand ... which was already releasing since it was immediately apparent what a dumb move it was...

I said "oh man... I was just making a joke about the t-shirt..."

Something like that. I don't remember. Just several seconds of awkward I remember. I got him to sign the program for Kathryne, I asked my own dumb question or two... so .... I guess it was all smoothed out a minute later.

But yeah, kinda a Larry David moment. I'm an idiot.
3/1/13 6:33 PM
hugomma

Ali - Well... I was trying to be funny.

It didn't really have anything to do with Jerry's success picking up chicks. I just had been laughing, already, like a running joke, for years, at: "Is that a sweater you're wearing?" That was already funny. I know Charlie Haden won't get it as a reference, which compounds the humor for me, but it's just funny already.

And then the t-shirt question... and ... and... well yeah, I was being a sarcastic dick at the other dude's expense, I guess. Haden was not thinking that the next person in line would be commenting on the previous person. I couldn't imagine he wasn't going nuts inside with this other dude, but maybe he wasn't. Sigh. And I have the habit of thinking humor justifies anything. Oh well.

Haden stepped back, recoiled like I did grab him. (I first wrote that "I pinched his lapel", which is more accurate. More tailor than bar drunk. But "grabbed" makes the story better).

Still he kind stepped back like he thought I was gonna hit him and looked down at my hand ... which was already releasing since it was immediately apparent what a dumb move it was...

I said "oh man... I was just making a joke about the t-shirt..."

Something like that. I don't remember. Just several seconds of awkward I remember. I got him to sign the program for Kathryne, I asked my own dumb question or two... so .... I guess it was all smoothed out a minute later.

But yeah, kinda Larry David moment. I'm an idiot.

No dude, you're a GENIUS.

And yes, it's funny as hell.

3/1/13 6:36 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/02/13 1:52 AM
It is funny now. It was trying to be funny then. I felt really bad, because he really did get startled and like... just moment of recoil. Like I attacked him. That wasn't good.
I mean, I thought I was sharing a wink. But no, no.... By mistake, I scared fucking Charlie HADEN.
And I was trying to belittle someone else for being annoying. Instant karma. Because that guy, apparently, was not annoying. Nope. Annoying was ME, it turned out. I feel bad.

I've been laughing hard about it ever since, too. And now, thanks to you, Hugo, I have another phrase to integrate into the story. "I put my hands on Charlie Haden." Fuuuuuuuck.
3/3/13 12:26 PM
Ali

For a brief shining moment in the 1980s, David Sanborn hosted "Night Music" on American Television. The 1980s were really a good time in jazz, in spite of the way people talk about that decade. Some of my favorite music came from bands really working back then. And we had things like this on TV...

This is really great music:

3/3/13 12:48 PM
hugomma

Ali - Here's "Lonely Woman", which was an original Ornette piece with Haden. Here done with Dewey Redman on sax, Paul Motian on drums, Mick Goodrick on guitar. This is one of my favorite Ornette melodies:

I wanted to jump to this one first, cause I've never heard Mick Goodrick.  But then the acutal piece took over, & MG became almost an afterthought.  This is the first Ornette piece I ever heard.  Love the moody transcendence of it all.  Always thought that Doors fans who liked stuff like "When the Music's Over" &  "The End" would like something like this.

Haden's grooves are hypnotic.

3/3/13 12:56 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/03/13 1:11 PM
Mick Goodrick on Steinberger guitar, matching his Starsky And Hutch Villain Fashion Sense, in the "Night Music" clip, too.

I agree, Haden is the ultimate hynotist, or snake charmer, or spell-caster, or something, with that bull-fiddle.

EDIT - I just listened to Lonely Woman again, mostly to hear Haden's "deep country" solo starting around 6:30. This is a theme he solos on with some regularity, recorded as "Taney County" on its own. But what really struck me is ... seeing the t-shirt under the tailpiece, behind the bridge.
3/5/13 9:39 PM
hugomma

Ali - Charlie talks about jazz, only nothing to do with jazz, the history of the universe, spirituality, bringing out the wood, a rainforest.... sounding like Charlie in very, very serious mood. But sounding like Charlie. This is part annoying, part funny, part beautiful:

You nailed it: annoying (I think it's the shades), funny & beautiful.

He's right about touching deeper places inside of us.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.