UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What's wrong with this guy's DL?

3/1/13 12:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
beatbum
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I only deadlift once in a while, so tell me why his form is so bad. He gets blasted on Youtube but I don't see what's so wrong. He doesn't round his back very much; he keeps it pretty straight and arched. And from what I've read and seen, it's ok to have your feet out. And dropping the bar is also ok if not encouraged hence the name "dead lift".
3/1/13 1:04 AM
Chocolate Shatner
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Main critique I would have is that his hips are a bit too high, and for someone who is trying to do a sumo he needs to spread his feet and his hands out some more.

The point of sumo is to take advantage of the drop in height that a wide stance gives you. Additionally, you want to maximize the length of your arms by making them as straight as possible.

With his grip, his hands are noticeably narrower than his shoulders. This causes a multitude of issues. Firstly, it is making his arms (relative to the ground) shorter than if he took a grip hanging straight down.

Secondly, by having the narrow grip, it makes it more difficult to squeeze his shoulder blades together and "pack" his back, reducing stability and increasing chance of injury. Note, I am not saying it is impossible to pack the back with this grip, just more difficult than having a shoulder width or even slightly wider than shoulder width grip.

As for the hips, the sumo is supposed to allow the lifter to keep a more vertical torso than the standard deadlift. Some purists will even call it a "squatlift" like total douchebags. That being said, his feet and hand placement, combined with his higher hips and stiffer legs, are robbing him of this advantage.

But, the other thing I would say is FUCK the Youtube critics overall. The greatest advantage and the greatest drawback of the Internet and sites like Youtube is that they allow anyone to basically give their opinion. And as the saying goes "opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and most of them stink like shit."

This is especially true of lifting vids on Youtube. You get poster after poster of bro-science, Xfit tards, and guys who think they know lifting with their 135 pound max squats, and you get a wasteland of bullshit.
3/1/13 1:28 AM
beatbum
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great. Thanks for the info!

3/1/13 11:39 AM
None So Blind
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great answer by CS
3/1/13 12:42 PM
vermonter
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, good answer.

There's definitely a few reps there where he essentially SLDL's the weight. Not necessarily the wost thing, but I could lift more with better technique.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.