UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How to keep your UFC job, by Dan Hardy

3/1/13 11:16 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It was recently revealed that the UFC intends to cut 100 fighters from the roster, starting with an initial round of 16. Fighters with an uncompelling style have been released after a single los

By contract, Dan Hardy was not released after four consecutive losses (and is currently on a two-fight wn streak). In an interview with ProMMA Radio, Hardy offers his opinion.

“I know the UFC are getting rid of a bunch of guys," said Hardy. "And I know that they are disappointed with the way that people are stepping into the Octagon. Maybe it’s just a shake-up, maybe they are just trying to show people that we are in the entertainment industry as well as a professional sport.

"When people pay a lot of money for a ticket they want to see a performance, and some people are coming to get a pay check and it’s kinda disappointing.”

Listen to entire interview...

3/1/13 11:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yup..i dont care if you lose 100x in a row..if youare exciting and have good skills there is a place for you in the UFC imo

3/1/13 11:26 AM
Death Beast

Didn't listen to the interview, but I sure hope he mentioned "have a fan base in a market the UFC really wants". That's the only reason guys like him and Akiyama weren't given their walking papers after losing 4 in a row.
3/1/13 11:27 AM
Y2JB

Edited: 03/01/13 11:27 AM
Dan speaks the truth, the bottom line is, I want to be entertained. That doesn't mean i want to watch rock'em sock'em robots but I certainly do want to see every fighter trying to end every fight.
3/1/13 11:30 AM
Daverr

But it takes 2 fighters to make a fight right???

in the fitch case, you could make the argument if all his opponents had the skill and heart of e silva, maybe all fitch's are fotn candidates???????

dude just had his best fight in a long ass time, maybe his best 2 fights ago.. now he's gonee?

so, saying exciting fights is the difference dont make sense either
3/1/13 11:31 AM
UGCTT croy_00
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 

yup..i dont care if you lose 100x in a row..if youare exciting and have good skills there is a place for you in the UFC imo

Sadly it's a double edged sword. If it is an exciting fight they want, you will inevitably get guys like Chuck, who are amazing fighters, always entertaining, but their bodies give out long before their talent/mind let go.
3/1/13 11:43 AM

I don't see that as a double edge sword. Chuck fought into his 40s which is well past prime in any sport. Phone Post
3/1/13 11:59 AM
Death Beast

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -  I don't see that as a double edge sword. Chuck fought into his 40s which is well past prime in any sport. Phone Post

It is a double edged sword, but Chuck's just a bad example.

Look at Rizzo or Wanderlei though. Both were shells of their former selves prematurely because they had such exciting fights earlier in their careers.

I get that both are still going, but neither is anywhere near their prime anymore. Compare that to guys like Hendo, Anderson, or Randy who were arguably getting better with age because they didn't suffer so much head trauma.
3/1/13 12:01 PM

Death Beast - 
Anderson's BBC in my Goku -  I don't see that as a double edge sword. Chuck fought into his 40s which is well past prime in any sport. Phone Post

It is a double edged sword, but Chuck's just a bad example.

Look at Rizzo or Wanderlei though. Both were shells of their former selves prematurely because they had such exciting fights earlier in their careers.

I get that both are still going, but neither is anywhere near their prime anymore. Compare that to guys like Hendo, Anderson, or Randy who were arguably getting better with age because they didn't suffer so much head trauma.

i guess i dont equate being exciting to head trauma...i see it as trying to finish...bj was exciting and didnt suffer much damage until recently...cain is exciting, anderson is exciting...they dont suffer a ton of damage in most fights...

3/1/13 12:04 PM
ShoeMoney
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy my book!, MFCEO

But what do fans WANT to see?   That is all that matters now.

Just to be a dickhead and play devils advocate - sure it has bad, longterm effects when you take a massive beating everytime but thats what comes with it.

Just like anyother mainstream sport.

3/1/13 12:13 PM
3rdLion
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoy watching Dan fight and regardless of losses I still love it when he's on a card. It's not a sport, it's a fight and that's what Dan does best.
3/1/13 12:21 PM
liamthomas

Completely agree with dan! I record my ufc events as in the uk they start at 3am so when I watch them the next day I will fast forward to boring ones. Phone Post
3/1/13 12:21 PM
HE H4TE ME

RyannVonReemjob -
3rdLion - I enjoy watching Dan fight and regardless of losses I still love it when he's on a card. It's not a sport, it's a fight and that's what Dan does best.
This. #outlawarmy Phone Post
All of this. I watch Dan for completely different reasons than I do say Anderson or Aldo. While both of those dudes are violent and entertaining, Dan has the "it" factor. It could be a smirk after a good combination or the epic shit talking he had vs GSP. He's just an entertaining guy who I can't wait to watch fight. Phone Post
3/1/13 1:26 PM
StratTone
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

- los
- By contract
- wn

That is all........

3/1/13 1:41 PM
bruceleesspirit
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ProMMAnow.com, Editor

Hardy was cool. Also talked about his Ayahuaska experience and why he doesn't plan to fight that much longer.

3/1/13 3:04 PM
circulation123

I’m all for exciting fights but I want excitement that comes naturally out of fighters trying to win fights instead of artificially trying to make it exciting for fans.

Not saying Dan fights like that but I’ve seem fights that are like that.

3/1/13 3:05 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I absolutely love Hardy.  At first, I thought he was a little pompous, but he seems to have grown up a lot over the last couple of years and now I can't get enough of him.  Fascinating guy.

3/1/13 3:09 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even though i doubt he would beat GSP i would love to see Hardy go on a tear before he retires and fight GSP or whoever the WW champ is
3/1/13 5:32 PM
CindyO

VTFU and Dan is one of those guys. I don't really care who wins or where they're ranked. I just wanna see good fights. I know that many others don't agree with me and I can respect their feelings. I miss the old days when guys just came to fight, win or lose.

Cindy

3/1/13 5:45 PM

CindyO - 

VTFU and Dan is one of those guys. I don't really care who wins or where they're ranked. I just wanna see good fights. I know that many others don't agree with me and I can respect their feelings. I miss the old days when guys just came to fight, win or lose.

Cindy

for me, there is a place for boring fighters that win in the UFC too (see GSP before condit fight)...but you better be sure to win virtually all your fights or whats the point

3/1/13 5:57 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 

Cindy

Great post Cindy.

VTFU

3/1/13 6:15 PM
Daverr

maybe if fitch got ktfo'd 4 times in a row he would still be in the ufc
3/1/13 6:18 PM
drrilll
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Exciting does not necessarily equal head trauma. Look at Joe Lauzon. He is an example of an exciting grappler, always trying to finish.
3/1/13 6:19 PM
Jacinto
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Dan but in his four losses he got completely dominated as i recall and there was nothing exciting to watch about that. I agree with whoever said he was kept because he is needed for the British market. Had he been an American fighter i do believe he would have been gone. In his last couple of fights though he has looked very good and improved and it's a shame he didn't get to fight Hughes like he wanted.
3/1/13 6:32 PM
time traveling 12er
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drrilll - Exciting does not necessarily equal head trauma. Look at Joe Lauzon. He is an example of an exciting grappler, always trying to finish.

Exactly.  People seem to think exciting only means stand n' wang.  Every time someone mentions entertainment they call you a just bleed fan and make it seem like slug fests are the only alternative to grind fests.  Look at the Matt Grice thread.  Get's a complement and White says fighters like him won't get cut.  The conclusion those idiots come to is that White means guys that get punched in the face won't get cut.  Not that having an incredibly gutsy performance, trying to end the fight even when rocked... no none of that.  They have to shit on Grice suggesting he has no defence and all he did was stand an wang.  That's bullshit.  Some people forget that this is fighting.  It's like they want it to become tkd competitions or something.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.