UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP: I despise media duties, Diaz has to do it

3/1/13 1:13 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Nick Diaz was reportedly 'really close' to losing the GSP title fight at UFC 158 after no-showing media duties, the same thing that caused him to be pulled from a title fight with GSP at UFC 137 in 2011.

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was recently asked at, ironically, a media event at TriStar Gym in Montreal, about his thoughts on Nick Diaz failing to fulfill his media duties.

Q. With your opponent Mr. Diaz and his not fulfilling his media commitments, are you concerned at all about him, and maybe if they change the fight or...?

Georges St-Pierre: No they have to, we have to go and do the fight. It's unbelievable. He has to do it, he's going to do it. I don't think he's stupid. He has to do it. It's the chance of his life, he's going to make a lot of money.  You have to do it.

I can't think about it. I cannot think about him not doing it.

Q. Does it bother you that he's not doing it and you are?

GSP: Oh yah, of course, because it's not fair. I lose my time. I don't like doing this. I'm talking to you guys, like seriously, I despise it… I like you guys but I DON'T LIKE DOING THIS, you know?

It's not you that I don't like, it's that basically, for people who know me, I've been saying the same thing 50 time, every week, you know? Blahblahblahblah it's like a computer in my head, and I don't like, but I have to do it, it's part of my job.

Every job is not perfect and I have to do it. I have to do it. So he has to do the same. Otherwise it is not fair.

So what do you think UG? Is it fair?

3/1/13 1:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cool hand Ed
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm rooting for Nick, but Georges has a point.
3/1/13 1:24 PM
Letibleu
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP has been more and more vocal about not liking the media circus.

3/1/13 1:29 PM
Ansari
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For iPhone:
3/1/13 1:29 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The media attention Nick Diaz has to deal with pales in comparison to GSP, too. Phone Post
3/1/13 1:30 PM
D241
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool hand Ed - I'm rooting for Nick, but Georges has a point.

Agreed, even moreso on the 2nd part.

3/1/13 1:33 PM
Letibleu
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Woah, GSP sparring with Jojo Dan. The dude is known to be a monster in sparring and is a knocker. I have seen a few of his fights live. He is lightning fast and has KO power in both hands but lacks a good gas tank. 

3/1/13 1:40 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz Number 1 Fan -  They're fighters, and that's the only thing we should expect them to be, but media is media. I hate that it's part of it, but it makes sense when it comes down to money, the thing the fighters want more of.

GSP is really good at doing the media thing. He's well-spoken and isn't afraid of being open and honest, sonething unbelievable considering English is not his first language. He's better than Diaz at the media thing, that's for sure, but Diaz is my favorite fighter, and one of the reasons is because he CAN'T do the media thing that well. Phone Post

The media thing sucks for all pro athletes. It's ridiculous how they interview guys between every quarter/period/half, and they all give the same exact canned answer we all know they are going to.

At least we aren't at the point where we are interviewing guys between rounds.. lol

3/1/13 4:07 PM
BobbyDigital420
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hoping GSP takes it 2 weeks!

frig, I'll have a heart attack can't wait for the stare down and see them across the cage from one another

3/1/13 4:55 PM
Y2JB
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP oozing confidence, he knows he is unbeatable at 170.
3/1/13 5:09 PM
newjack900
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From a business perspective - I know it's not feasible bc you want all your fighters to fall in line and fulfill their commitments - but would Diaz no-showing some of his shit and keeping up with his anti-establishment, anti-authority gimmick create more of a buzz for this fight? People seem to either love or hate that shit which in itself creates a lot of buzz.
3/1/13 5:23 PM
CindyO

You know, some of these fighters just need to STFU. GSP steps inside the cage a couple of times per year (but only once in 2011 and 2012) and who needs to hear how much he doesn't like it? WAHHHH! He didn't despise it when he wasn't a millionaire.

GSP: Oh yah, of course, because it's not fair. I lose my time. I don't like doing this. I'm talking to you guys, like seriously, I despise it… I like you guys but I DON'T LIKE DOING THIS, you know?

Just... shut up.

Cindy

3/1/13 5:24 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its completely not fair to lose training time if your opponent is not doing the same.
3/1/13 5:28 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 

You know, some of these fighters just need to STFU. GSP steps inside the cage a couple of times per year (but only once in 2011 and 2012) and who needs to hear how much he doesn't like it? WAHHHH! He didn't despise it when he wasn't a millionaire.

Just... shut up.

Cindy

Telling one of the faces who is one of the best and most professional reps of the UFC who also happened to step in the ring less than you liked because he happened to be, I dunno, rehabiliating something that could have ended like his f'in career to just shut up?

He knows why and that he has to do it and that's part of his due to be a "millionaire," he's just bringing it up because his opponent is doing the same. Easy up on the Zuffa defense.
3/1/13 5:30 PM
Johnny Tightlips
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO -

Just... shut up.

Cindy

Wtf is this Phone Post
3/1/13 5:32 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

CindyO - 

Just... shut up.

Cindy

Normally I would agree but the UFC needs GSP more than GSP needs the UFC. He probably turns down a movie role 3 or 4 times a year and has nothing left to prove, we are lucky that he still chooses to fight
3/1/13 5:38 PM
Wasa-B

Its one thing to bitch about it.

Its another to make light of the issue if your opponent is not doing the same. Both guys would rather be in the gym. One guy is fullfilling his obligations more than the other thus one guy is losing more gym time than the other. This isnt rocket science. GSP is not an unreasonable, unprofessional guy.
3/1/13 5:44 PM
Dr Gonzo
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 

Just... shut up.

Cindy

The guy is doing media constantly, he is always courteous and well spoken. That's not enough for Cindy, he has to pretend to enjoy it or she gets angry and tells him to shut up lol.

3/1/13 5:52 PM
JonasLind
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What cindy said. Dont be a diva. Somebody complaining about doing a few interviews while making MILLIONS...dont care for that shit
3/1/13 5:58 PM
CindyO

Wasa-B - 
CindyO - 

Just... shut up.

Cindy

Telling one of the faces who is one of the best and most professional reps of the UFC who also happened to step in the ring less than you liked because he happened to be, I dunno, rehabiliating something that could have ended like his f'in career to just shut up?

He knows why and that he has to do it and that's part of his due to be a "millionaire," he's just bringing it up because his opponent is doing the same. Easy up on the Zuffa defense.

I don't care how often GSP fights, or any other fighter for that matter. I just get irritated hearing someone complain about a job they have to do every time they have to do it, especially when it's sometimes less than others who manage NOT to complain.

Keep that shit to yourself at least, I don't know, every other fight maybe???

Cindy

3/1/13 6:00 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr Gonzo -
CindyO - 

Just... shut up.

Cindy

The guy is doing media constantly, he is always courteous and well spoken. That's not enough for Cindy, he has to pretend to enjoy it or she gets angry and tells him to shut up lol.

Haha sounds like one-eared blaf just logged in with her account Phone Post
3/1/13 6:02 PM
ShatsBassoon
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 

Just... shut up.

Cindy

Haha seriously? Georges was just explaining his thoughts when asked about Nick being a flake towards media duties. Name one other time he has complained... right never.

For the record nobody and i mean nobody whines, bitches, moans and groans and complains as much as Diaz. "Where's my money wahhh where's my title fight wahhh just let me bang waahhh."

Thanks for the laugh though. Surely the white nights will be out in full strength to defend your honor.

3/1/13 6:03 PM
Wasa-B

CindyO - 
Wasa-B - 
CindyO - 

Just... shut up.

Cindy

I don't care how often GSP fights, or any other fighter for that matter. I just get irritated hearing someone complain about a job they have to do every time they have to do it, especially when it's sometimes less than others who manage NOT to complain.

Keep that shit to yourself at least, I don't know, every other fight maybe???

Cindy

"especially when it's sometimes less than others who manage NOT to complain."

That's the whole fckin point. GSP is complaining that while he is fulfilling his media obligations, Diaz is not. There is no reasonable person that will not see GSP's point on this. Who the hell would want to do their media bit if their opponent is not?
3/1/13 6:06 PM
SoupCan
462 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cindy's on her rag Phone Post
3/1/13 6:10 PM
FatBuddha
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/01/13 6:13 PM
Cindy has a point. Let me be clear:

1. It IS unfair if GSP fulfills his media obligations and Diaz doesn't as it cuts into both training time and decompression time.

2. That being said, for all fighters to constantly complain about part of their job, is annoying and to paraphrase Dana White, "diva-ish". Lots of jobs suck AND don't make that much money. Being a full time fighter can't be easy but it's many people's dream to train all that they want as full time martial artists and get rich. Having achieved that dream, and all the perks and after parties and fame that goes with it, complaining about a part of it is somewhat like a hollywood starlet complaining about the paparazzi or about having to go on late night talk shows.

GSP is well spoken and polite, but ultimately having a positive image helps him (endorsements, etc.). I would never tell people who came to talk to you that you "despise" talking to them.

3. Don't get me started on Diaz

my 2 cents

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.