UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Martial Arts or Lifting or Crossfit?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/2/13 11:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SmellyBelly
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Guys,

I'm a 38 year old skinny/fat out of shape desk jockey looking to turn back the hands of time.

I figure I can realistically train, consistently, 2-3 days per week.

Like most people I want it all. I want to put on some muscle, lean out, build some endurance, regain range of motion in my joints, and oh yeah I wouldn't mind learning how to throw a decent punch.

That's a tall glass of water to fill on only 2-3 days per week. With that in mind - what would be my best option?

Martial Arts or boxing?
5/3/1?
Crossfit?
Bodyweight, sandbag, and kettlebells?

Let me know!
3/2/13 11:44 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/02/13 11:47 AM
Martial Arts or boxing?
5/3/1 or Starting Strength?
?
bodyweight, sandbag, and kettlebells?
JMO
3/2/13 2:05 PM
CMX
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing or Bjj 2x

Kettlebell , bodyweight 1x a week
you will get leaner , better cardio and more skilled but you wont be putting on muscle mass imo, but u will look and feel better Phone Post
3/2/13 2:55 PM
Leigh
1187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 days lifting, as much MMA or boxing as you can fit in. Phone Post
3/2/13 3:02 PM
The Adversary
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I want to put on some muscle, lean out, build some endurance, regain range of motion in my joints, and oh yeah I wouldn't mind learning how to throw a decent punch."

Yeah, +1 for some MMA and a Kettle Bell training based on what you wrote there.
3/2/13 6:19 PM
torquemada
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You lose ounces in the gym and pounds in the kitchen.

Keep in mind, bro. Good luck. Phone Post
3/2/13 7:27 PM
ams
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try everything and choose what you like best. Phone Post
3/2/13 7:33 PM
Taku
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good answer from ams. Most TMA / MMA gyms will let you take at least one class for free. So to will most CF boxes. I was going to recommend Krav Maga...Only because it seems to have a strong fitnesss component and you will probably learn all you need to know about punching etc...unless you are actually interested in competing in MMA.

I have been a self defense instructor for 16 years (dabbling in multiple types of MA stuff). I have tried it all, and although MMA. BJJ, JUDO, Muay Tha,i etc are really fun, I would not use most of them in a self defense situation.

So...depends on what your most highly ranked goal is.

TAKU

3/3/13 1:20 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Box!

3/3/13 10:38 AM
SmellyBelly

Taku - 

Good answer from ams. Most TMA / MMA gyms will let you take at least one class for free. So to will most CF boxes. I was going to recommend Krav Maga...Only because it seems to have a strong fitnesss component and you will probably learn all you need to know about punching etc...unless you are actually interested in competing in MMA.

I have been a self defense instructor for 16 years (dabbling in multiple types of MA stuff). I have tried it all, and although MMA. BJJ, JUDO, Muay Tha,i etc are really fun, I would not use most of them in a self defense situation.

So...depends on what your most highly ranked goal is.

TAKU

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I guess I just need to pick something and follow through with it.

With regards to your post, Taku, you are correct. Although I love MMA as a spectator I have zero interest in competing in the sport. Getting in shape and "hitting the pads" seems like something that would be fun to do.

I didn't realize Krav Maga placed high emphasis on fitness. Maybe that is what I'm looking for. I was always put off by KM in the past because it seemed cultish - but maybe I was wrong.
3/3/13 3:39 PM
ams
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I guess I just need to pick something and follow through with it."
Pick the activity you like best, not just something. Like Taku said, you can most of the time at least try one class for free. Regarding Krav Maga, there is huge difference between different schools. Like you said some came be very cultish but some teach really hard core self defense and do a lot of conditioning. Phone Post
3/3/13 9:37 PM
LCSULLA
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I would rather lift and do BJJ for my conditioning. I have seen guys drop huge amounts of weight rolling and doing tech reps three days a week.
3/4/13 2:58 AM
Leigh
1187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LCSULLA - Personally I would rather lift and do BJJ for my conditioning. I have seen guys drop huge amounts of weight rolling and doing tech reps three days a week.
Agree, except he said he wants to learn the throw a punch. Phone Post
3/4/13 9:50 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heavy abbreviated weight training 1 day a week, martial arts 2 days a week. Keep lifting really simple: trap bar deadlift, bench, chins or row, OH press. Do 3-5 sets of 5 reps and just focus on gradually adding weight to the bar. Phone Post
3/5/13 6:33 AM
dave nagel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do it all. its all good for you
3/11/13 5:02 AM
ManOfThePeepHole
2458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/11/13 2:16 PM
turducken

with such extremely general goals, you should just do what you enjoy since all roads of activity will lead you there(although crossfit is most likely going to be the worst option). of those choices, id go with boxing, and do it as often as possible, but thats just my preference. do what you like so you stick with it and improve. you can always try something new in the future...you arent locked into one kind of workout forever
3/11/13 4:31 PM
ubik
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I suggest you try all the options first before making the decision, you will stick with what you enjoy.
I love grappling, but my local classes suck and are full of uptight and over serious young guys. The local TMA places are full of delusional "my technique is too deadly pillocks" who avoid even getting a sweat on. However the boxing classes I started on a whim are awesome and I cant get enough.
Weights are great though, at least 1 day of that would be a good base.
3/11/13 6:30 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree about the martial arts advice above. BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Thai Boxing, maybe a karate style with hard sparring (Kyokushin or one of its offshoots) all should be solid and give you a good workout. Most TMAs schools are going to vary quite a bit from hard training to barely breaking a sweat. If you find a hard training TMA school you like, go for it. Just realize that it may not be the most fighting effective style. But if you're just out to learn for fun and to get in shape that's ok. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.