UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Gracie Gym

3/2/13 1:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Team Python
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the difference between the Gracie Barra and Gracie Gym....I am staring to see these Gracie Gyms popping up and they are part of the Gracie Elite Team. I know Rillion Gracie has his schools and they use the same colors which is orange and white.
3/2/13 3:01 PM
killer2005
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gracie family is very big. Many family members branched out and created their own school. This is why you see so many "Gracie Gyms" out there.

For example:
Gracie Barra is ran by Carlos Gracie Jr, son of Carlos Gracie Sr.
Gracie Humaita is ran by Royler and Rolker Gracie
Gracie Academy is ran by Rorion and his sons, Rener and Ryron Gracie

There's a really long Sherdog forum thread that goes through all the history about the family, drama and schools..
3/2/13 3:30 PM
CompanyBlue

I think "Gracie Gym" is now a chain. Looks like they have a few locations in OC already.
3/2/13 3:52 PM
killer2005

CompanyBlue - I think "Gracie Gym" is now a chain. Looks like they have a few locations in OC already.

I see. If this is the school, http://www.gracieoc.com/, it looks like it's ran by Ronis Gracie.
3/2/13 4:18 PM
checkuroil
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie gym is rillion I think Phone Post
3/2/13 4:28 PM
MountainMedic
661 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One rillion dollars! Phone Post
3/2/13 4:50 PM
Team Python
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

killer2005 - The Gracie family is very big. Many family members branched out and created their own school. This is why you see so many "Gracie Gyms" out there.

For example:
Gracie Barra is ran by Carlos Gracie Jr, son of Carlos Gracie Sr.
Gracie Humaita is ran by Royler and Rolker Gracie
Gracie Academy is ran by Rorion and his sons, Rener and Ryron Gracie

There's a really long Sherdog forum thread that goes through all the history about the family, drama and schools..

Yeah I am aware of the Gracie history but this Gracie Gym is new. There is one in Plano,Texas that is ran by a Gracie Barra black belt. I want to know if it is Rillion's new association.
3/2/13 5:29 PM
CompanyBlue

I think it is Rillion
3/2/13 5:30 PM
MickColins
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One opened in the Chicago burbs recently, ex gb guy runs it. Phone Post
3/2/13 5:35 PM
Team Python

MickColins -  One opened in the Chicago burbs recently, ex gb guy runs it. Phone Post

Exactly...are GB BB's joining with Rillion and going to start a whole new team Gracie Gym. I personally like Rillion and I like his views on Jiu-Jitsu and his style. I know there is also Gracie Elite Team as well. Rillion stated that he is opening a school in California. I asked him when and he said real soon.
3/2/13 7:00 PM
J. Manly
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The OC Gracie Gyms are owned by Ronis Gracie. Really awesome guy with a couple of great gyms. One in Westminster and another in Irvine Phone Post
3/2/13 8:52 PM
TristanESP
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MickColins - One opened in the Chicago burbs recently, ex gb guy runs it. Phone Post
"Our professors are widely recognized as the Elite Jiu Jitsu practitioners in the world. Gracie Gym is the only academy representing the famous Gracie family in Chicago, IL."

The first part of that claim from the Gracie Gym Chicago website is false if they are referring to the owner, Pablo Ortega. The second part is also false. Phone Post
3/2/13 9:41 PM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit. Is Pablo a black belt now? Phone Post
3/2/13 9:59 PM
ChicagoNOGI

Edited: 03/02/13 10:21 PM
If Pablo Ortega can get affiliated by a team, than pretty much anyone waiving some cash can get affiliated with that team. Sorry but its the truth.

"Our professors are widely recognized as the Elite Jiu Jitsu practitioners in the world. Gracie Gym is the only academy representing the famous Gracie family in Chicago, IL."

I guess Carlson Gracie Jr. Isnt representing the Gracie Family? What about the Redzovic's?
3/2/13 10:04 PM
roxa star
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

QAM256 -  Holy shit. Is Pablo a black belt now? Phone Post

That's the word on the street.
3/2/13 10:53 PM
John Clarke
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
3/3/13 12:41 AM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

roxa star -
QAM256 -  Holy shit. Is Pablo a black belt now? Phone Post

That's the word on the street.
Under who? Phone Post
3/3/13 1:45 AM
shen
933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK... so what's the story with this Pablo Ortega character?

A quick google reveals people not "impressed" by his BJJ legitimacy.

Who is he/ what's the deal?
3/3/13 2:02 AM
dojo stormer

something to do with black belts not wanting to pay the franchise fees of GB gyms. i know of a guy who went with Elite, he couldn't justify the fees.

and ortega has been mentioned in the BB who shouldnt be thread
3/3/13 11:09 AM
TristanESP
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - OK... so what's the story with this Pablo Ortega character?

A quick google reveals people not "impressed" by his BJJ legitimacy.

Who is he/ what's the deal?
I didn't mean to derail this thread. I know nothing about the rest of the gracie gym organization so I can't speak on that. I only mentioned Pablo because knowing the history of his school, his belt promotions, and his lack of "live training", the Gracie Gym Chicago website is downright deceptive. Phone Post
3/4/13 3:48 AM
mijo

Im at Gracie Gym Plano, Tx. I love it!!!
3/4/13 6:16 AM
PTM2020
1260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should open one up in Torrance, ca.

3/4/13 6:34 AM
Sir Taps
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PTM2020 - 

They should open one up in Torrance, ca.

Yep. I know the perfect location too - inside Leo Vieira's new gym, which is inside Rodrigo Gracie's new school.

James
3/4/13 8:43 AM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For those who were asking, Gracie Gym / Gracie Elite are the same thing and is headed by Rilion & Crolin Gracie.
3/4/13 1:29 PM
BJJER

Renzo, Ralph, Charles, Kyra, Rillion, Crolin, Rodrigo, Ceaser, and others are all part of Gracie Elite.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.