UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Should Wand retire after epic Stann win?

3/3/13 9:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Wanderlei Silva epically beat Brian Stann in Japan at UFC on FUEL 8 Saturday night, earning both Fight of the Night and Knockout of the Night performance bonus awards.

Silva's return to Japan was some 14 years after his PRIDE debut. He went undefeated in 20 fights there, with wins including Dan Henderson, Rampage Jackson (twice), and Kazushi Sakuraba (three times).

But this sport is hard. Wand turns 37 in July.

In the win over Stann he got dropped in the first round over and over, and he got dropped by Franklin in a loss the fight before that, and the fight before that he got dropped by Cung Le although he stood up to win, and the fight before that he got dropped, unconscious, by Chris Leben.

Is this a good, or even great moment for the most beloved fighter in the sport to retire?

Silva isn't quite ready yet.

“I fight one fight at a time right now," said Silva after the fight. "I feel healthy.  A couple of injuries are normal, you know? But I know sooner or later I’m going to need to stop the job. But I’m happy for getting this feeling, this energy from my fans, make the show for my fans. I'm so glad to make my fans happy around the world."

“Brian Stann is a tough opponent. He has a strong punch. I hit him and he hit me, and I felt out a little bit in that moment, but this is the kind of fight I like to do. He’s a strong guy, a warrior. He came to fight, no going away, no run around. He’s there to do the job.”

"I had a dream before I retired to fight in Brazil and fight here. I’m so glad the UFC gave me the opportunity for me to fight one last time in Brazil and fighting here."

"If UFC gives me the opportunity to come back here, I’m happy to fight in Japan again.

“I have the best moments of my life here and today is one more.”

What do you think UG? Is it time for Wanderlei Silva to retire? Or should he keep entertaining us? Or should he do whatever he wants to? The benefits of Wanderlei Silva are burned into our collective memory; what are the costs?

3/3/13 9:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not yet. He still has more to give us.
3/3/13 9:15 AM
FanToFighter
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Wanderlei is that guy who will be the first to die for the sport. Go out like a legendary boss man Phone Post
3/3/13 9:15 AM
Jack Skellington
732 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no, he needs to fight Belfort again & then retire

3/3/13 9:19 AM
NattoMatto
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am worried about him. I would love to see him continue, but I would love more for him to retire while he has a few marbles left.
It is tough to ask him to go, since he is the type of reckless striker that makes MMA so much fun. Phone Post
3/3/13 9:21 AM
Jill Laz

After this win I don't see Dana talking about his retirement he can make way to much money on the heels of this fight but personally I will always pay to watch the Axe Murderer :) Phone Post
3/3/13 9:23 AM
FightToLive
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eric Lindros retired after 6 concusions? That's kinda like 6 of Stann's punches.
Maybe time?
3/3/13 9:26 AM
SamboSlim187

He should but he won't. As a fan, I'd rather not see him take more hard punched to the head. Phone Post
3/3/13 9:32 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not going to get better than a tough win over a solid opponent in a back-and-forth war in Japan. I'd love to see him go out on this victory. Phone Post
3/3/13 10:09 AM
Trollgrude11
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was lucky enough to meet him a few years back I think it was late 2010 or early 2011 but he didn't sound good. Maybe because his English isn't the best though...lol Phone Post
3/3/13 10:13 AM
Authority Figure

I want to him to be able to enjoy getting old. Give interviews. Talk coherently. Hang out with his family. 

As fans we can't be selfish. This guy has a long LIFE ahead of him. He deserves to live it in quality.

3/3/13 10:16 AM
stebrillz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should go out on a high but I can't imagine he will want to hang em up after last night Phone Post
3/3/13 10:18 AM
tetris
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar - It's not going to get better than a tough win over a solid opponent in a back-and-forth war in Japan. I'd love to see him go out on this victory. Phone Post
Careful. You may get 5 vote downs like i did for even thinkin it. Phone Post
3/3/13 10:29 AM
Portalguy
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he should. Hate to see a legend suffer Parkinson's or any other maladies connected to the fight game. He'll always be remembered and I don't think he's hurting for cash.
3/3/13 10:31 AM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should retire exactly when he wants to and when he feels it's time.

He's the fucking man
3/3/13 10:35 AM
SLOtownG

I love wand. That is all Phone Post
3/3/13 10:37 AM
Lefthook33
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SLOtownG - I love wand. That is all Phone Post
This, ill support whatever he decides to do Phone Post
3/3/13 10:40 AM
deadlyonetwo3
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People trip on Wanderlei retiring because the guy's nose is smashed up and his face has been repaired due to damage. The reality is that he is conditioning himself to the highest degree and fighting great fights.... His talking is perfectly coherent, just hard to understand due to English and his voice in general.

I also have concerns about the amount of damage that he's taken over the years. He's been in many, many fights. That said, guys... He's taking shots that would knock most guys out and coming back. He's got a hell of a chin and an even bigger heart. The reason he gets dropped is because he goes out there and takes risks that other fighters never would.

He's not punchy at all. They're in there swinging full force with baby gloves on.... It's no joke and Wanderlei accepts that risk and goes for it. It has cost him dearly at times.... But thats who he is. He just knocked out brian stann (tough tough chin) and cung le (another strong durable guy that you cant just ko). If he wants to continue, that's his right. Obviously it can't go on forever, but the guy works so hard and wants it badly...let him fight. It has to be hard for him to hear people calling for his retirement all the time. Phone Post
3/3/13 10:54 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tetris -
fryingarmbar - It's not going to get better than a tough win over a solid opponent in a back-and-forth war in Japan. I'd love to see him go out on this victory. Phone Post
Careful. You may get 5 vote downs like i did for even thinkin it. Phone Post
Worrying about votes is the ghey. And that includes stupid shit like "will vote u up later!" Just say if that shit made you lol, u agree, w/e.

*enjoys freeze* Phone Post
3/3/13 10:59 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say yes because there is just no way he could go out better than that. Winning in Japan in a wild fight. But I couldn't argue with him if he still wanted to fight Phone Post
3/3/13 11:06 AM
Vitor29

I think he should. He won that fight on what you can almost call his home turf, he was like an old gladiator returning one last time to a place where the crowd absolutely loves him and he won in an epic fight. Perfect one to go out on.
3/3/13 11:06 AM
tetris
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - I say yes because there is just no way he could go out better than that. Winning in Japan in a wild fight. But I couldn't argue with him if he still wanted to fight Phone Post
That was my point on the thread i made. Its not going to get any better than that win period. Phone Post
3/3/13 11:08 AM
Arecsa
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. He can and should decide when it is time. He looked great against good quality opposition, that was a fucking war and his fight along with the awesome co-main saved this show. He had his jab working nicely at times during the fight, his chin and ability to recover isn't questionable, Stann was throwing bombs at him.
3/3/13 11:09 AM
simonpe

Would have been the GOAT retirement fight.

Knowing Wand though, he'll keep fighting Phone Post
3/3/13 11:10 AM
abi
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he should retire imo on such a highlight reel ko in front of his o.g. fans in tokyo.. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.