UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Thoughts on Wheat Protein

3/4/13 8:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneGloveJimmerson
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found a deal on 5 lbs of Wheat Isolate Protein for $23 so I thought I would try it out instead of my normal ON Whey. I am currently working on getting lean and cutting down on my BF%, so along with some morning LISS and afternoon heavy lifting I am in a calorie deficit. Is wheat protein a suitable substitute for whey in terms of (aiding in retaining muscle, recovery after lifting, and meeting my goals for daily protein intake)

All thoughts and opinions on wheat protein are welcome.

Thanks!
3/4/13 8:53 AM
Ned Ryerson
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't recommend it. Wheat is very inflammatory and it may lead to auto immune problems. I've cut wheat out of my diet almost completely and feel much better Phone Post
3/4/13 9:57 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

depends on the sort of wheat but since very VERY few companies use quality ingredients for protein (whether it's wheat or pea or what have you) I'd stay away from it...and also ON Whey as well.
3/4/13 1:13 PM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And the amino chain isn't complete meaning your body won't absorb as much as it should. The only plant based complete protein I know is soy.... So I'd stick with the whey too. Especially trying to get lean. My body holds on to wheat like no other. Phone Post
3/4/13 2:26 PM
Taku
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree with above...Just Say No TO WHEAT.

TAKU

3/5/13 9:08 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shanle929 -  And the amino chain isn't complete meaning your body won't absorb as much as it should. The only plant based complete protein I know is soy.... So I'd stick with the whey too. Especially trying to get lean. My body holds on to wheat like no other. Phone Post

neither of those things are true. bio-availability has nothing to do with "complete" EAAs and quinoa, pea+rice have complete EAAs. Combine 70% pea + 30% rice and you have a very balanced complete amino acid profile that is only slightly less bio-available than whey.
3/15/13 11:33 AM
Gu31232

Wheat protein isnt as complete as whey or soy proteins. Egg protein is complete as well. I recommend those if you're looking for solid proteins. Phone Post
3/15/13 11:40 AM
turducken

if you want a vegan protein, vega performance protein is by far the best one i have seen. it is a little bit high in sodium since its meant as a post workout drink, but that really shouldnt be a problem unless you have existing health issues that cause you to restrict sodium intake.

the reason i like it is that its made from a variety of different sources that does NOT include soy or wheat, and that it has a very good amino acid profile...its not like some made-for-women soy shake with a pathetic 9g of protein per serving and a worthless amount of bcaa's. you get 26g of protein per scoop and over 5g of bcaa's with an additional 5g of glutamine.
3/15/13 11:55 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

Vega is good if price isn't an option. If it is and you still want quality:

(the 100th time I'm posting this link)
http://truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx

70% rice 30% pea = complete and great EAA profile, about 30 grams per scoop ( 2 Tbsp methinks) and cheap. non-gmo, isolates.
3/15/13 3:35 PM
vermonter
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut - Vega is good if price isn't an option. If it is and you still want quality:

(the 100th time I'm posting this link)
http://truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx

70% rice 30% pea = complete and great EAA profile, about 30 grams per scoop ( 2 Tbsp methinks) and cheap. non-gmo, isolates.

30 grams total, a little more than 2 tbsp (depending on how rounded it is, obviously). 24 grams of protein.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.