UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mirko Cro Cop responds to former manager's claims

3/4/13 8:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently published a two-part Q & A on Liverkick.com with Mirko Cro Cop's former manager (Part 1, Part 2). The interviews contained untold information about Japan's business practices, the sycophants who battled for control of K-1, and of course, personal and business details regarding PRIDE/K-1/UFC fighter Mirko Cro Cop.

Mirko Cro Cop responded by making a Facebook post that denied Miro Mijatovic was ever his manager, and insisted that Mijatovic was a hanger-on whose fluent Japanese made him useful in ordering food. Cro Cop's Facebook post was then published in Vercenji list, one of two of Croatia's largest national daily newspapers.

I wrote this article for FightOpinion.com that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that 1) Miro Mijatovic was Cro Cop's manager from late 2002 to January 2004 and 2) Mirko Cro Cop is not being honest: http://www.fightopinion.com/2013/03/03/response-mirko-miro-mijatovic/

Give the article a read-- it contains a full English translation of Mirko's Facebook post and also says a few things that we all know or have felt at one time or another about a prominent athlete who distorted reality for their own ends.

3/4/13 8:28 AM
Elrond Hubbard

Edited: 03/04/13 8:28 AM
Why do i get the feeling that at the end of this rabbit hole is the triumvirate: vadim, millen, & pavia.
3/4/13 8:35 AM
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/4/13 8:51 AM
Mufasatheking

Crazy interview.

I dont know what to make of Mirko now.
3/4/13 9:17 AM
john joe
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
its not really that big of a deal to be fair
3/4/13 9:20 AM
DirtehSneakehs

Um, its 2013 now. Who cares if this is true or not? My 2006 Grand Prix DVD set agrees with me. Phone Post
3/4/13 9:21 AM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 03/04/13 9:22 AM
john joe - its not really that big of a deal to be fair

Tell that to the people who get ruined by corruption rampant in the business.

Also, a lot of details about PRIDE or the early days of MMA are interesting to some fans.

3/4/13 10:23 AM
Brian J DSouza

Ok your quote makes much more sense now:

Author Profile - John Joe O'Regan

John Joe O'Regan is the website and digital editor for Fighters Only Magazine. He writes for the website and occasionally for the print publications. He has written for several UK newspapers including The Guardian and The Sun and has also appeared on BBC television and BBC Radio. John, 3, is a BJJ blue belt under SBG UK and also coaches in Manchester, UK.

His all-time man-hero is Mirko CroCop and in 2011 John got the chance to visit him at his home in Croatia. The sound of CroCop singing along to ABBA at top volume down a Zagreb highway is one he will never forget.

He has dirt on everyone in the MMA world and will one day write a thrilling exposé which will reveal just who it was that was stealing all the pens from the Fighters Only office for so many years.

3/4/13 10:29 AM
hubris
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn crazy Croats!
3/4/13 10:55 AM
john joe
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian J DSouza - 

Tell that to the people who get ruined by corruption rampant in the business.

Also, a lot of details about PRIDE or the early days of MMA are interesting to some fans.

lol, mancrush on CroCop aside i meant, its all in the past and to be honest all sides are likely to be equally full of shit.

it is interesting from a historical perspective absolutely; I just dont know why Zach Arnold is running round having one of his "crisis of the decade" hissy fits, although to be fair it doesnt seem to take much to set him off
3/4/13 10:56 AM
john joe

Brian J DSouza - 

Ok your quote makes much more sense now:

Author Profile - John Joe O'Regan

John Joe O'Regan is the website and digital editor for Fighters Only Magazine. He writes for the website and occasionally for the print publications. He has written for several UK newspapers including The Guardian and The Sun and has also appeared on BBC television and BBC Radio. John, 3, is a BJJ blue belt under SBG UK and also coaches in Manchester, UK.

His all-time man-hero is Mirko CroCop and in 2011 John got the chance to visit him at his home in Croatia. The sound of CroCop singing along to ABBA at top volume down a Zagreb highway is one he will never forget.

He has dirt on everyone in the MMA world and will one day write a thrilling exposé which will reveal just who it was that was stealing all the pens from the Fighters Only office for so many years.

3/4/13 10:57 AM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
3/4/13 11:12 AM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 03/04/13 11:14 AM

Mijatovic is cited as a source of information by numerous outlets and publications including SpikeTV/Dan Herbertson, The Australian, FightOpinion.com, Toshiro Igari's book-- even the New York Times.

The truth does not lie between two different stories here: Mirko Cro Cop is simply a liar.

If Cro Cop's statement gets taken as fact by gullible fans, or worse--the MMA media--then history is gonna be rewritten or airbrushed. That's fine for the people who only care about the latest UFC show, but some people like to know a little more about what happened behind the scenes or what led to today's setup.

In a few months, we'll get massive coverage of the 20th Anniversary of the UFC. Will articles be telling people that Zuffa promoted the first show in 1993, and that Dana White "Knew Royce-fucking-Gracie-would-win-the-whole-fucking-thing!!!"?

3/4/13 12:18 PM
Mongo Lloyd
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would have been interesting had the person who wrote the article even attempted to be neutral in doing so.

Seemed more like a one sided attack. Trash reporting (nothing new to the MMA scene.)
3/4/13 12:21 PM
In Limbo
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

later

3/4/13 12:26 PM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 03/04/13 12:26 PM
Mongo Lloyd - Would have been interesting had the person who wrote the article even attempted to be neutral in doing so.

What evidence or arguments would you have presented in addition to what was mentioned here?

Crobocop-- only comparing the fact that aforementioned athletes/sports heroes were not honest (at least until more evidence surfaced) to Cro Cop's attitude/statement here. Not comparing crimes.

3/4/13 12:31 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting article. Kind of reads like it was written by a well-read scorned ex-gf, though. The information is good but it comes off as "bitchy".

3/4/13 12:40 PM
Mongo Lloyd
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian J DSouza - 
Mongo Lloyd - Would have been interesting had the person who wrote the article even attempted to be neutral in doing so.

What evidence or arguments would you have presented in addition to what was mentioned here?

Crobocop-- only comparing the fact that aforementioned athletes/sports heroes were not honest (at least until more evidence surfaced) to Cro Cop's attitude/statement here. Not comparing crimes.

I'm not here to help you sharpen your reporting skills.

Fact is you remind me of a bitter ex-wife. It's trash journalism. There are a ton of ways you could have reported it but the one thing that comes off clear is you took some other guy's feelings and resentment and ran with it.

It takes away from the article as a whole and ultimately makes me look at a site like Fight Opinion as a worthless source.
3/4/13 12:48 PM
john joe

Brian J DSouza - 

Mijatovic is cited as a source of information by numerous outlets and publications including SpikeTV/Dan Herbertson, The Australian, FightOpinion.com, Toshiro Igari's book-- even the New York Times.

The truth does not lie between two different stories here: Mirko Cro Cop is simply a liar.

If Cro Cop's statement gets taken as fact by gullible fans, or worse--the MMA media--then history is gonna be rewritten or airbrushed. That's fine for the people who only care about the latest UFC show, but some people like to know a little more about what happened behind the scenes or what led to today's setup.

In a few months, we'll get massive coverage of the 20th Anniversary of the UFC. Will articles be telling people that Zuffa promoted the first show in 1993, and that Dana White "Knew Royce-fucking-Gracie-would-win-the-whole-fucking-thing!!!"?

being 'cited as a source' doesnt make you '100 per cent factually accurate'

anyone can be cited as a source

ive got no horse in the race, i dont doubt for a minute that CC is spieling some bull here and there, but likewise i dont take most people at their word regarding their part in business dealings and especially not lawyers, come on

also whoever said the article sounded bitchy, it wasnt Brian J who wrote it, it was Zach Arnold at Fight Opinion. "Full Whine" is his standard tone whenever he feels the purity of the MMA's sacrity is threatened by such worldly concerns as business, money and trying to make a buck.
3/4/13 12:52 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mongo Lloyd - 
Brian J DSouza - 

I'm not here to help you sharpen your reporting skills.

Fact is you remind me of a bitter ex-wife. It's trash journalism. There are a ton of ways you could have reported it but the one thing that comes off clear is you took some other guy's feelings and resentment and ran with it.

It takes away from the article as a whole and ultimately makes me look at a site like Fight Opinion as a worthless source.

With all respect, this is exactly how I felt about the article too.

If I felt like the information in the article was worthless I wouldn't even have bothered to respond. But since I believe the article has good info, I think it is the right thing to mention what I believe takes away from its credibility.

3/4/13 12:55 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL

john joe - 
Brian J DSouza - 

being 'cited as a source' doesnt make you '100 per cent factually accurate'

anyone can be cited as a source

ive got no horse in the race, i dont doubt for a minute that CC is spieling some bull here and there, but likewise i dont take most people at their word regarding their part in business dealings and especially not lawyers, come on

also whoever said the article sounded bitchy, it wasnt Brian J who wrote it, it was Zach Arnold at Fight Opinion. "Full Whine" is his standard tone whenever he feels the purity of the MMA's sacrity is threatened by such worldly concerns as business, money and trying to make a buck.

Thanks for clarifying who wrote the article. (sincere.. sounded sarcastic in my head, so just saying haha)

3/4/13 1:02 PM
AndersonSilvasMoney
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I fucking love Cro Cop, but based on what we know about PRIDE (Yakuza, etc), it isn't shocking to find out fighters manipulated the system - even our favorites.

It's disappointing to say the least. Still a huge Mirko fan, but can't say in not a little bummed. Phone Post
3/4/13 1:05 PM
Brian J DSouza

To clear up a few points here:

1) I am the author of the FightOpinion article

2) I wrote it in response to Mirko's criticism of the Liverkick Q & A's

3) I agree that the tone of the FightOpinion is harsh-- pointing out all of the shortcomings, failings and dishonesty of Cro Cop. But if Cro Cop wanted a debate about pure facts, and not his character, he should have presented some real evidence or make a statement backed with credible sources.

Cro Cop chose the low road-- claiming the Liverkick Q & A's were written by "those who want to promote themselves should do so with their results and successes and not call out people for something that is nonsense just so that they can read their names in print."

Remember what prefaces the Liverkick Q & A's is NOT criticism of Cro Cop or any attempt to diminish his career, but a list of his achievements in K-1 and PRIDE. I think he's a very good fighter, and had a good career, but the other dynamics-- organized crime, influence on matchmaking and reasons for PRIDE's demise--were why I penned the interviews in the first place.

3/4/13 1:17 PM
Bromovich
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Phone Post
3/4/13 1:34 PM
Kentpaul
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.