UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> sony sells shares as i predicted

3/4/13 8:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
redeye2000
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCABRE92304S20130304

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp said on Monday that it would sell all the shares it owns in Japanese online game provider DeNA Co Ltd to Nomura Securities.

Sony said in a statement that it expected to post a gain of 40.9 billion yen ($437 million), to be recorded as operating income in the fourth quarter of the fiscal year that ends this month.

Nomura Securities is a unit of Nomura Holdings Inc. ($1 = 93.4450 Japanese yen)

so jockey what you got to say now?
3/4/13 9:55 AM
redeye2000

haha just wow.

Companies sell shares all the time. wait what?

i wrote that in the last thread, i explained it to you. and now you come you up, say to me that companies do it all the time.

really unbelivble , you sure you aint raised in an asylum?

you said sony this and that. i said sony can make a short term profit by selling shares they have of other companies. you attacked me on it. i defended and today the proof came out.

what i did is i koed you like wanderlei koed stan. only difference is stan didnt make a lame excuse. while you do.

3/4/13 11:17 AM
redeye2000

were did i say it was a strategy for succes?

all i said that if sony want to have short term profit then this would be a possibility. which i was right!

also i never let the old thread die, why would i. because i am right. i posted there as last. so if someone want to let it die it is you not me.

that thread could be a sticky and i have no problem with it.

3/4/13 4:58 PM
nrallen

redeye2000, the article doesn't provide any specific information as to the value of the investment on Sony's balance sheet, the purchase price or selling price. The comment regarding profit for the quarter is I assume for Sony as whole.

What Jockey and others were trying to explain to you is that investments owned by Sony represent assets on its balance sheet. When investments are sold they become cash, also shown on the balance sheet.

Essentially Sony is converting one asset into another, more liquid, asset. It might prove to be a worthwhile move but similar to selling various buildings, it's a desperate grab for cash.

I hope Sony's restructuring is successful though, as they produce some great products.
3/4/13 6:05 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

nrallen - redeye2000, the article doesn't provide any specific information as to the value of the investment on Sony's balance sheet, the purchase price or selling price. The comment regarding profit for the quarter is I assume for Sony as whole.

What Jockey and others were trying to explain to you is that investments owned by Sony represent assets on its balance sheet. When investments are sold they become cash, also shown on the balance sheet.

Essentially Sony is converting one asset into another, more liquid, asset. It might prove to be a worthwhile move but similar to selling various buildings, it's a desperate grab for cash.

I hope Sony's restructuring is successful though, as they produce some great products.

This.

I bet Sony will place a lot of weight on mobile. TVs and electronics are slowly dying, and the company will never hold the brand that it held in the 90s.

Redeye, so you were basically saying that a company can sell stock it owns in another firm for profit? I'm not trying to get in the middle of an argument, but what kind of claim is that?

Let's say I purchase 100 shares of Apple at $500. Three months later, I sell 100 shares of Apple at $400. Would you consider this sale a profit, simply because the assets are being converted to cash?

Do you know what their average price per share was?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.