UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why Eddie Bravo names everything

3/4/13 12:01 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1070 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Eddie Bravo, on a BJJ seminar tour of the UK, speaks exclusively to Fighters Only. The piece cuts between seminar footage and Bravo taking questions.

On Matt Riddle's release, Bravo was understandably against it.

"Matthew Riddle is a great fighter," said Bravo. "To cut him for taking medicine - medicine that kills no one, medicine that shrinks brain tumors - he got cut for that. That's a shame."

Then the subject turned to Bravo's convention of naming every technique and transition. Bravo, the most innovative figure in Jiu-Jitsu, frequently receives criticism for his convention of naming every move he teaches, in a sport where the tradition from Brazil is to call most techniques either "this one" or "that one."

***As an aside, saying "this one" or "that one" with a Brazilian accent makes it funnier.***

Some, like the Ruber Guard and the Lockdown have come into very wide usage. Others, like the Gangsta Lean and Crack Head control have been subject to largely good-natured criticism.

But Bravo is not kidding with his naming.

"Royce Gracie has even said this," explained Bravo. "His father, Helio, the grandmaster of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, purposefully didn't name every move, and purposefully didn't name every transition. Royce will tell you that."

"To not name every move and not name every transition makes it harder to teach. In America, we name everything, to make it easier to convey the knowledge, to share the knowledge, to pass it on.
That's the only reason I named every transition, every more."

"There's still some moves I need names for. Like I said the sport is still constantly changing and evolving. To maximize my teaching ability, I've got to name everything.

"The names are cool - sometimes they're stupid, sometimes they're goofy, sometimes they're funny, sometimes they're amazing. But regardless, it is all about making it easier to share the knowledge, and to pass it on. That's it.

"90% of transitions are not named, and that's just ridiculous. In a secret society where you don't want the information passed on, maybe in that situation it's a bad thing to name everything. But I am all about sharing and teaching everything, so you got to name everything.

"Every name has a different story. Some are stupid, but in the long run, it doesn't matter what the name is.

"Just like in Rock n Roll, it doesn't matter what the name of the band is, it really doesn't. If the music is good, it doesn't matter. There's bands out there called Hootie and the Blowfish, Smashing Pumpkins, those are some dumb-ass names. But once a band is established, it's not dumb any more, it's classic.

"Same thing with Jiu-Jitsu - Omoplata, the traditional Brazilian name - that sounds stupid. And so does Gogoplata. That's ridiculous! But, after you get used to it, it's just the norm. And it's not stupid any more, and it's not ridiculous..."

So what do you think UG?

3/4/13 12:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It makes sense to name everything, easier to teach and learn

Other guys are doing it also, on Marcelos site mginaction they label positions and moves more than you would see back in the day, not to the extent and with the silly names like Eddie, but when you'rd teaching stuff from a book or online it helps

The game has evolved past just "half guard" that could be a huge number of positions in grappling now
3/4/13 12:20 PM
Bloodstorm
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta love crackhead control Phone Post
3/4/13 12:22 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1774 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Lockdown tore my ACL and I'm having replacement surgery on Friday.  He should call it the Brazilian Widowmaker.  Very aggressive and dangerous control position imo.  If Eddie Bravo never existed, perhaps I could have lead a productive life, we'll never know. 

3/4/13 12:28 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1774 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem is that you used to have to be a member of shadowy catch wrestling sleeper cell to learn this stuff.  Now anyone wearing a Tenth Planet rash guard in a strip mall can Lockdown a poor guy's knee into Bolivion.  It's like giving plutonium to an eight year old after he rage quits Fallout 3.

3/4/13 12:35 PM
AwHood
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny "omoplata" is a stupid name....it literally translates to "shoulder blade"...not a good example. Phone Post
3/4/13 12:39 PM
Ew0k187

Eddie bravo talking about stupid names. The ironing Phone Post
3/4/13 12:40 PM
HexRei

AwHood -  Funny "omoplata" is a stupid name....it literally translates to "shoulder blade"...not a good example. Phone Post

to non-portuguese speakers, it sounds like gibberish which is what he meant i think, and of course language barriers are a problem for everyone, but I think Bravo generally makes sense here.
3/4/13 12:58 PM
likatiga
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Eddie, but this "he's just taking his medicine" thing is just crazy.

These guys who claim it's just medicine, did they never smoke weed before a Dr. one day said "hey, i've got a great cure for your medical issue, it's called weed, but it's really medicine. I'm going to prescribe it to you".

Or, did the de-criminalization of it just give them a convenient way to justify their smoking habit?

I think weed should be legal and have smoked myself for 20 years (including "medical card" in CA), but this is disingenuous.
3/4/13 1:00 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigfoot_REEMED_meOver -  Makes sense to me. I've never understood why Eddie's naming of moves is something that haters levy against him.... Phone Post

Because when Eddie gives them a name they tend to be silly, but the biggest reason is people think Eddie says he "created" the move which he doesnt say at all and always gives credit to someone of he learned it from them
3/4/13 1:08 PM
HexRei

likatiga - I like Eddie, but this "he's just taking his medicine" thing is just crazy.

These guys who claim it's just medicine, did they never smoke weed before a Dr. one day said "hey, i've got a great cure for your medical issue, it's called weed, but it's really medicine. I'm going to prescribe it to you".

Or, did the de-criminalization of it just give them a convenient way to justify their smoking habit?

I think weed should be legal and have smoked myself for 20 years (including "medical card" in CA), but this is disingenuous.

or maybe they just had a problem their whole lives, smoked weed, and found that it resolved that problem? that's how a lot of medicines were discovered before clinical trials were instituted.

it's ridiculous that anyone cares about smoking weed, they shouldn't have to hide behind a medical recommendation anymore than someone should need a recommendation to have a beer in the evening or watch a brain-dead sitcom to relax.
3/4/13 1:09 PM
likatiga
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^totally agree with that^^
3/4/13 1:11 PM
hubris
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jew-Claw
3/4/13 2:02 PM
clattymine
409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhoRunsBarterTown - Irvin-arm

That would be like renaming the RNC, the OJ Simpson or something.  Why give long lasting credit to a POS?

3/4/13 2:56 PM
Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie Bravo had nothing to do with the widespread usage of the term Gable Grip. It's eponymously named after Dan Gable and has been used in wrestling parlance for decades. Get your act together, UG Blog.

3/4/13 3:02 PM
Soul Gravy

I can sum this entire article up in one word: Marketing.

Underground Blog should hire me. I can save them tons in virtual ink.
3/4/13 4:26 PM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhoRunsBarterTown - Eddie, change the limp arm to the Irvin Arm or the Lloyd arm. Thanks in advance.
Yes!! Phone Post
3/4/13 4:35 PM
Kirik
1629 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Willin - 

Eddie Bravo had nothing to do with the widespread usage of the term Gable Grip. It's eponymously named after Dan Gable and has been used in wrestling parlance for decades. Get your act together, UG Blog.

I told Chris just this morning that it was eponymously named for Dan Gable. Hopefully Chris sees this and shapes up - makes a fast correction for once.

3/4/13 4:38 PM
BigWilliam
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Bravo, the most innovative figure in Jiu-Jitsu"

Apparently whomever wrote this crap is smoking more weed that Joe and Eddie combined.
3/4/13 6:08 PM
Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -
Willin - 

I told Chris just this morning that it was eponymously named for Dan Gable. Hopefully Chris sees this and shapes up - makes a fast correction for once.

Thanks, boss. Phone Post
3/4/13 6:13 PM
Willin

Also, if you could teach Chris how to spell 'rubber' that'd be swell. Phone Post
3/4/13 7:05 PM
Kostakio
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie is a good dude. Great read. Phone Post
3/4/13 7:13 PM
Clarence Parents
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio -  Eddie is a good dude. Great read. Phone Post

3/4/13 7:38 PM
defendbrooklyn

I feel like this is the hundreth time ive heard bravo explain why he names every thing. Can't sell a system without unique names...such as marcos avellan's kimura trap system now available on a 3 dvd set for the limited price of 299.99 or 3 easy payments of 74.54!! Phone Post
3/5/13 1:07 AM
BarkLikeADog

"Bravo...frequently receives criticism for his convention of naming every move...."

Isn't the general criticism that the names are NSFW etc?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.