UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> The World According to John Coltrane - documentary

3/4/13 7:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
765 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/04/13 8:05 PM

Here's one I almost bought on DVD a million times, but never got to. I just saw it today for the first time. Youtube comes through again.

I love getting to see the interviews with Wayne Shorter and Tommy Flanagan etc... Jimmy Heath talking about how younger players were not so attached to the the rules of tonal harmony and Coltrane went in that direction, just as the clip of him going into several minutes of freaky outside playing during "My Favorite Things" -- and then the way he brings it back to the melody, or most of the way back, to end it, and how much the Garrison and Tyner and especially Elvin Jones (on drums) stop on a dime and turn right back to it with him.... that was a band for the ages.

I like seeing Lamonte Young, one of the founders of "minimalism", talking about how much Coltrane influenced him and some of the other modern classical guys. I used to see Lamonte Young every once in a while in NY. ("The Forever Bad Blues Band" was one of his projects that I'm still digesting...)

Early on there are some pictures of a young Coltrane in the U.S. Navy, with other Navy musicians.... I'd never seen those photos before. Anyway, there are lots of great moments.
3/7/13 2:41 PM
hugomma
1043 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - 
Here's one I almost bought on DVD a million times, but never got to. I just saw it today for the first time. Youtube comes through again.

I love getting to see the interviews with Wayne Shorter and Tommy Flanagan etc... Jimmy Heath talking about how younger players were not so attached to the the rules of tonal harmony and Coltrane went in that direction, just as the clip of him going into several minutes of freaky outside playing during "My Favorite Things" -- and then the way he brings it back to the melody, or most of the way back, to end it, and how much the Garrison and Tyner and especially Elvin Jones (on drums) stop on a dime and turn right back to it with him.... that was a band for the ages.

I like seeing Lamonte Young, one of the founders of "minimalism", talking about how much Coltrane influenced him and some of the other modern classical guys. I used to see Lamonte Young every once in a while in NY. ("The Forever Bad Blues Band" was one of his projects that I'm still digesting...)

Early on there are some pictures of a young Coltrane in the U.S. Navy, with other Navy musicians.... I'd never seen those photos before. Anyway, there are lots of great moments.

Can't wait to dive into this one...thanks for the find.

3/10/13 11:04 PM
Ali
765 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/11/13 12:07 PM
Long sections of the live stuff are the same as the Euro-TV performance (with Dolphy) that you've already seen from the Jazz Icons series. It's pretty tendentious -- i.e., Alice Coltrane's emphases on what she thought most important. This isn't a bad thing, necessarily, it just gives a lot of time to the "out" stuff and a lot of vague words because of talking about spiritual questing.... and no one has the words.... Really a lot of those words annoy me a bit, but I don't know what to say. It's how they talked. And I get what it means for the music. Rather like a David S. Ware video I saw recently. Same questing for the ecstatic sort of thing... and it comes through in the music much better than the words about the music.

There are plenty of cool things to see, too, as I said; I certainly don't mean to trash it here.
3/11/13 12:03 PM
hugomma
1043 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - Long sections of the live stuff are the same as the Euro-TV performance (with Dolphy) that you've already seen from the Jazz Icons series. It's pretty tendendentious -- i.e., Alice Coltrane's emphases on what she thought most important. This isn't a bad thing, necessarily, it just gives a lot of time to the "out" stuff and a lot of vague words because of talking about spiritual questing.... and no one has the words.... Really a lot of those words annoy me a bit, but I don't know what to say. It's how they talked. And I get what it means for the music. Rather like a David S. Ware video I saw recently. Same questing for the ecstatic sort of thing... and it comes through in the music much better than the words about the music.

There are plenty of cool things to see, too, as I said; I certainly don't mean to trash it here.

Watched it this weekend. Caught the Euro Icon performances, & the Alice Coltrane slant. Wish they would've interviewed Elvin & McCoy. And yes, the music itself says more about a spiritual quest than any narration ever could.

That performance towards the end of the doc, with Alice & Rashied Ali, where Trane wore that white polo shirt...that was some noisy, Sun Ra shit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.