UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Maintaining your physique and fitness overseas..

3/5/13 3:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Snakey89
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So this is my first thread in this section and I just wanted to see if anyone has experience in this. I'm an Aussie and I'm going to America for a 5 week holiday. I'm doing a contiki tour and wanna have fun BUT don't want to ruin my fitness or physique. Any of guys done something like this and not come out a complete fatty ( and u damn Americans and ur awesome looking pizza and hot dogs will be my undoing !!! ) ? Phone Post
3/5/13 5:40 AM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

During a 3 month stay in spain I stuck with lots of fresh seafood, didn't go overboard with the carbs but did with the wine in the end.

For exercise all I could do were calisthenics and find places in the city to do pullups. Chocolate milk for post workout.

Pavel's "naked warrior" has some useful movements for placing greater tension on your muscles than conventional calisthenics.

If I had to do it over, I'd load up my suitcase with some protein/MRP packets
3/5/13 5:42 AM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh yeah- you can also use your suitcase as an improvised lifting tool. Loaded up with liquor, it weighed over 100 lbs
3/5/13 7:20 AM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with HERTS. Keep it simple, and don't go crazy. You're on vacation. Enjoy life. Besides that, I'm betting a total week or two off will do you good if you haven't done that recently. Maybe take time completely off at the tail end of your vaca.
3/6/13 7:45 AM
macfights
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Burpees... Lots of them... It's a SMMF Phone Post
3/6/13 10:27 AM
cruedi
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depending on where you stay many hotels now have small gyms in them or swimming pools depending on the time of year you're here.

I always travel with a jump rope, and if i was doing your tour I'd probably bring my ab roller.

There have been times when my only work outs were, pushups, planks, knee bends. Sometimes I'd squat thrusts or burpees as some people call them. I would do as many pushups as I could be 30-60 seconds, then plank for a minute, and then kneebends/burpees for a minute. I would do that once or twice and hour all day long if I could. Or just at night if whatever I was doing during the day didn't lend itself to that.

3/6/13 12:21 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are national chains like gold's gym, 24 hour fitness and LA fitness that have gyms all over the country. You could probably get a month pass, just e-mail the one that has locations where you're gonna be.

In terms of diet just don't pig out. The US has a lot of shit food but there is heathy food everywhere too.
3/10/13 1:41 AM
Ply

Body weight, resistance bands, pull up bar. Phone Post
3/10/13 3:10 AM
gusto

come up with some goals for the trip that you want to hit on the 3rd to last day

50 push ups in a row for time, bw squats for reps etc

3/10/13 7:19 PM
HULC

Edited: 03/10/13 7:20 PM
Take a pair of running trainers and stick in some runs now and then. On other days bang in a load of press ups, sit ups, pull ups from tree branches, etc.

I spent a couple of months travelling around Australia without doing any dedicated workouts. I was kept reasonably in shape by accident, as a lot of the things i was doing - like hiking national parks or snorkelling - were pretty physical. I got a bit softer, but at the end of the day the stories and memories a came back with were far more interesting than telling someone i kept my RHR below X beats per minute or anything like that.
3/15/13 7:16 PM
Eppy

Edited: 03/15/13 7:17 PM
You won't ruin your physique in 5 weeks. By all means run or do some bodyweight stuff if it's part of your life and makes you feel good. (Personally I'm not a regular runner but love going on runs in other countries, especially early morning).

Don't stress about it though, enjoy your holiday and if you usually train hard your body could probably do with the rest to heal up from stuff you probably don't even realize is wrong.

You may lose a bit of fitness but nothing that won't come back in a couple weeks of training.

If your were going for more than a couple of months I may suggest something different but a few weeks you'll be fine.
3/19/13 6:08 PM
Snakey89
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys, all solid advice. U guys Americans ? If so...how's golds gym , is it awesome ? Coz I'm sorta hoping to go try one out while I'm there since we don't really have them here ( I think there's one or two somewhere in aus ) . Gonna cut body fat down as much as possible leading up to it and then just do body weight exercises while I'm over there and hit the gym if I can...oh and try not to eat pizza 100% of the time :P Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.