UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Munoz: Lombard has been mediocre at best

3/5/13 7:59 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

“Since Hector Lombard has been in the UFC, he’s been mediocre at best," said Mark Munoz. "But at the same time, he’s been fighting high-caliber fighters. Yushin Okami has been in the top five for a long time, you know, so he’s no slouch. At the same time, he was asking for a title shot, I felt he needed to prove his own in the weight class. So he’s being introduced to the UFC.

"Down the road if it presents itself, yeah I’d fight Hector Lombard. I’m definitely a guy that accepts any fight that the UFC throws at me, you know? I’m that guy. But at the same time I wanna show the world that I can definitely compete at that weight class and I can fight high-caliber fighters.”

Is Munoz accurate? Has Lombard been only mediocre? And how would a Munoz vs. Lombard fight go?

3/5/13 8:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/05/13 8:16 AM
I think it is accurate.

Hector has had a great career, but he hasn't been able to put it together against elite competition (0-2 in Pride, 1-2 in the UFC, 31-0-1 everywhere else).
3/5/13 8:28 AM
Hikikomori
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Munoz has no room to talk. Hector would maul Munoz.
3/5/13 8:44 AM
spliff
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

then what has munoz been?
3/5/13 8:47 AM
TheIronCodpiece
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems to me Lombard is just adjusting to the new  level of comp. It's not like he's been thoroughly outclassed by all of his opponents. Yushin did a fantastic job of shutting him down, but Yushin is a hard fight for anyobody, save for Anderson. I think we'll start seeing him hit his stride soon

3/5/13 8:49 AM
MMOZ

Hikikomori - Munoz has no room to talk. Hector would maul Munoz.
Yeah just like he walked through Okami. Phone Post
3/5/13 9:18 AM
orcus

spliff - then what has munoz been?

Wasn't his fight with Okami closer than Hector's?

3/5/13 9:22 AM
spliff
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight statistician Compustrike counted 76 strikes landed of 151 thrown by Okami. Munoz connected on 19 of 45 strikes. Okami landed more power strikes than Munoz, 17 to 13, including 11 for the winner in the final round. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/2010/08/mark-munoz-yushin-okami/1
3/5/13 9:27 AM
kungfugrip

Next week, Mark Munoz is expected to tell us that water is wet and the titanic had a mishaps at sea.

Thanks for the breaking news!
3/5/13 9:27 AM
BeatonHauff
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol mma math. Who gives a fuck Phone Post
3/5/13 9:28 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Munoz and Lombard fall into the same bracket.

I say match em up. Phone Post
3/5/13 11:05 AM
leftlegtrumpcard
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's accurate in his statements. Why not not match em up. Lombard is gonna get cut if he doesn't start winning. Munoz needs some quality wins....make the shit happen. Phone Post
3/5/13 12:20 PM
SQUEEZIE

then fight him marky
3/5/13 1:59 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Munoz is right Phone Post
3/5/13 2:06 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless Munoz takes Hector down....

Never been a big believer in Lombard but the easy with which he gets taken down is really a little bit startling.

Hector might have more power in his hands but if Munoz presses for the take-down and fights somewhat conservatively i seem him having a chance against Lombard. There more or less ranked the same in my book.

3/5/13 2:50 PM
DoomFarmer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori - Munoz has no room to talk. Hector would maul Munoz.
. Phone Post
3/5/13 2:58 PM
Porkchop

He is right about Lombard not performing the way people expected but you have to look at it realistically. Lombard is short and has a tiny reach. With fighters that can keep a good range, this becomes a problem. Okami did that well in this past fight. Boetch did a pretty good job of it too.

Lombard is a top 10 guy though and it'd be the wrong move to cut him.
3/5/13 3:01 PM
PTM2020
911 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say Mark takes him down and pounds Lombards brain into the back of his spine.

3/5/13 3:05 PM
XcessiveZ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I forgot these two wanted to fight.Nows the perfect time to make this matchup.Id prefer this to Stann vs Lombard. Phone Post
3/5/13 3:06 PM
Authority Figure

Love Munoz, but be careful what you ask for... Phone Post
3/5/13 3:10 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its a good fight. Lombard showed himself to be susceptible to leg takedowns and Munoz suffers from Tito Ortiz syndrome on the feet

3/5/13 3:13 PM
Lord Zeik

I honestly think they should cut him. He is too expensive for what he is delivering. Phone Post
3/5/13 3:43 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Porkchop - He is right about Lombard not performing the way people expected but you have to look at it realistically. Lombard is short and has a tiny reach. With fighters that can keep a good range, this becomes a problem. Okami did that well in this past fight. Boetch did a pretty good job of it too.

Lombard is a top 10 guy though and it'd be the wrong move to cut him.
That might be right, but only just.

But he simply is not worth the money he is currently getting. They should cut him and then resign him.

I do not begrudge the dude his pay but if it means that the UFC has to cut three other fighters to keep him on the books for the current amount i rather see him go ( for a short time). Phone Post
3/5/13 3:43 PM
Phil999

Hikikomori - Munoz has no room to talk. Hector would maul Munoz.

So even if you were the crappiest fighter ever you can't say that someone else is mediocre?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.