UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Transgender fighter faces licensing problems

3/5/13 5:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Fallon Fox is bracing herself for controversy, and as the first on-record transgender female fighter in mixed martial arts, she's going to get plenty of it.

On Monday, the 37-year-old Fox (2-0) revealed exclusively to SI.com that she's a transgender fighter -- the first on record, male or female, to compete in mixed martial arts. Fox won her second professional bout with a 39-second knockout (via knee) last Saturday at Championship Fighting Alliance 10 in Coral Gables, Fla.

Fox, who underwent gender reassignment surgery in 2006 along with the supplemental hormonal therapy, is scheduled to fight again for the CFA on April 20 in the semifinals of its eight-woman featherweight tournament. However, Fox's license approval is now under investigation with Florida's Dept. of Business and Professional Regulation.

Fox admits she did not disclose her transgender history, and presumably the pertaining medical documents that would have accompanied her Florida application, because she was not asked to.

For her pro debut in May 2012, Fox fought in Idaho for the King of the Cage promotion, which franchises its brand worldwide to multiple, non-affiliated promoters at any given time. Fox said the bout, which she won by first-round stoppage, took place on sovereign land, which is exempt from state oversight.

Read entire article...

3/5/13 5:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ranier wolfcastle
839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a dude had his junk chopped off to fight women?

3/5/13 6:01 PM
Odinson
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as HE should. Dont you have to be mentally sound to fight?
3/5/13 6:01 PM
Crooklyn
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!
ranier wolfcastle - 

a dude had his junk chopped off to fight women?

No. The surgery was 7 years ago. She just started fighting a year and a half ago.

3/5/13 6:03 PM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does the surgery and hormones stop you from gaining muscle like a man and hitting as hard as one?

This is a tough one

3/5/13 6:07 PM
Kirik
1598 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/05/13 6:12 PM
The UnderGround, Mayor

The ABC has very stringent standards for licensing transgendered fighters. They was a very detailed presentation at the 2012 convention in FL. I forget all the protocols, but there has to be stabilized testosterone at a female level for a full year or maybe it is two years, and a ton of other stuff.

Dr. Sherry Wulkan did the presentation, and it was super interesting.

It may take a while to get everything in place, but I have every expectation that Fallon will get licensed in time.

3/5/13 6:09 PM
Jsteven
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wtf Phone Post
3/5/13 6:11 PM
BigTedBear
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting to know how much strength and muscle she would have retained. With her surgery her test levels are I would assume they would be the same range as a woman of similar age and build. I really don't see what the A.C can do to her other than failing to declare it on her license how can they punish her. Anybody know how this works with the Olympics was there a T.S. African runner I seem to remember it in the news. Phone Post
3/5/13 6:13 PM
MTH
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(Sigh . . . .)

I'm voting "no" on this.  I have no idea whether this person gains any advantage from originally being a biological male, and I don't think anyone can really claim to know for certain. 

That should be enough to preclude this person from competing as a female in any professional sport where being a male among females would be an advantage, and that certainly includes professional combat sports.

They are welcome to train of course, but as for competing as a professional under the supervision of athletic commissions?  No. 

3/5/13 6:13 PM
jaytrainwreck
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -

Does the surgery and hormones stop you from gaining muscle like a man and hitting as hard as one?

This is a tough one

In for some expert analysis. Phone Post
3/5/13 6:14 PM
thebigblastula
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, she should be able to fight, but only as a man.
3/5/13 6:15 PM
HexRei

I don't see the problem as long as she has normal female test levels.
3/5/13 6:19 PM
Clarence Parents
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thebigblastula - Yeah, she should be able to fight, but only as a man.
He/she would get killed. I personally don't think transgenders should be fighting women or men.. Only fight other transgenders as who the fuck knows whether or not this person really has a serious advantage over regular women. Phone Post
AlexanderTheGOAT

Ya this is incredibly stupid IMHO, shouldn't be able to let that man fight women. Phone Post
Clarence Parents
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guessing they do. Phone Post
3/5/13 6:21 PM
MTH
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/05/13 6:27 PM
HexRei - I don't see the problem as long as she has normal female test levels.

But isn't it an assumption (a big one) to believe that testosterone is the lone significant difference?

My understanding is that bone density, body geometry, and relative hand size all favor males.  The reassignment surgery can't correct those things. 

It's no doubt true that some women are born with a more masculine frame, but that's due to the happenstance of genetics (just as some men are born with higher test levels) and not due to taking somebody who is in fact biologically male, altering their genitals, and then giving them hormones. 

I just don't think there's anyway we can conclude that this person in fact gains no advantage in a professional combat sport from originally being biologically male.  Absent being able to make such a conclusion, they should not be allowed to compete professionally. 

3/5/13 6:23 PM
vaginal tear
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freaks show fight. Man strength doesn't go away with the dingaling.

Vote NO on prop
Transgender MMA Phone Post
3/5/13 6:27 PM
Masakyst
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/05/13 6:28 PM
just because some doctor inverted the penis doesn't change the gender from male to female, so this person should not be fighting females

but that's just my completely ignorant and uneducated opinion
3/5/13 6:28 PM
UGCTT_AdamD
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH -

(Sigh . . . .)

I'm voting "no" on this.  I have no idea whether this person gains any advantage from originally being a biological male, and I don't think anyone can really claim to know for certain. 

That should be enough to preclude this person from competing as a female in any professional sport where being a male among females would be an advantage, and that certainly includes professional combat sports.

They are welcome to train of course, but as for competing as a professional under the supervision of athletic commissions?  No. 

This Phone Post
3/5/13 6:30 PM
Jaybrone
330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am for equality but not when it comes at the disadvantage of others. If "she" fights women then that presents a disadvantage to te females she would potentiallyfight. I am not upset by this.

3/5/13 6:31 PM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Inherently unfair. Phone Post
3/5/13 6:35 PM
ShoreBreaker420
1008 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Fitch could be a champion this way Phone Post
3/5/13 6:36 PM
manzuri
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigTedBear - Interesting to know how much strength and muscle she would have retained. With her surgery her test levels are I would assume they would be the same range as a woman of similar age and build. I really don't see what the A.C can do to her other than failing to declare it on her license how can they punish her. Anybody know how this works with the Olympics was there a T.S. African runner I seem to remember it in the news. Phone Post
The runner you're talking about had testicles inside of his body and was g hormonally male however externally he had a vagina. This is different as this fighter is now hormonally female. Phone Post
3/5/13 6:38 PM
subwrassler
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not afraid to speak my mind on this...but I'll say first that my views on shit like this may not be in line with most peoples views on all things transgender, gay, etc...

I'll just say this: MMA has come too far imo to allow someone to just hack off their dick and beat up chicks.
3/5/13 6:43 PM
ortman166

dwc - Equality is fantastic.

Everything has limits.

This person should not be allowed to fight women.

This. Wtf. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.