UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> The end of drop-ins?

3/6/13 5:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BayviewJiuJitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

South Florida is pretty vague bc West Palm, Broward, and Dade counties are all considered S. Florida. Anyway, there are a million gyms down here. I'm sure you can find more than one option that isn't more than 15 or 20 mins away from where ever you are. Phone Post
3/6/13 5:50 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hugh Jaynus -
fryingarmbar -  I'm currently in S Florida but not trying to put the specific schools on blast.

When I've been charged, $20 has been the average elsewhere.

The $50/day fee seemed steep but it bothered me less than the "half-month or nothing at all" from the first place. I trained there last year and everyone was great and I thought they'd be more understanding to the situation that I was just trying to squeeze some training in. They know I'm not from a rival gym trying to learn secrets or w/e because they have all of my info on file. Oh well. Just bad luck like some of yall said. Phone Post

Sorry to hear about that. I train at this place: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Underground-Jiu-Jitsu/176458642365869

Marcelo Garcia's old students from when he was in Florida. You won't be charged a drop in fee.
Thank you for the offer. Phone Post
3/6/13 5:58 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BayviewJiuJitsu - South Florida is pretty vague bc West Palm, Broward, and Dade counties are all considered S. Florida. Anyway, there are a million gyms down here. I'm sure you can find more than one option that isn't more than 15 or 20 mins away from where ever you are. Phone Post
Yes, purposely keeping it vague. There are a lot of gyms in the area but those 2 were the most convenient (and traffic is brutal here). Actually there's one other gym close by that I used to train at when in the area but last time I was there I thought the instructor had changed a lot (and not for the better).

Ah well, if I'm here longer next time I'll gladly pay for a month or more. For now, running, lifting, and enjoying what Floridians consider "cold" will have to do :) Phone Post
3/6/13 6:11 PM
Chester Davis
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My schools rules are kinda funny to me . If you are looking at joining then you get a free week. If your dropping in for a single visit you have to pay 25 . I just tell people to say they may want to join and they train free .
3/6/13 6:43 PM
fryingarmbar

Chester Davis - My schools rules are kinda funny to me . If you are looking at joining then you get a free week. If your dropping in for a single visit you have to pay 25 . I just tell people to say they may want to join and they train free .
That's fine but if I'm going to train with guys, I'm sure I'll socialize a bit and tell ppl where I'm from. If I claim I may join full-time and then it comes out that I'm from out of state, shit would go south quickly. I'd rather just keep things on the up and up and just chill. Phone Post
3/6/13 6:48 PM
Herbish1
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are only a few places I'd want to drop in to anyways and those places are cool it seems as far as paying a mat fee. I'd like to train at Kurt Osianders place, Renzo, or marcelos. If I go on vacation I go with intention of checking out the local place, but never do. Everytime I've emailed owners about training a day I've received nothing but a warm welcome, no charge response. Phone Post
3/6/13 7:18 PM
flee76
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I went to the Mendes Bros grand opening I asked how much drop-ins are, I was quoted $75 per class.
3/6/13 7:23 PM
grillznice
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flee76 - When I went to the Mendes Bros grand opening I asked how much drop-ins are, I was quoted $75 per class.

I guess the price dropped since july
3/7/13 5:06 AM
Tatami Strangler
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$45 to do a drop in class at Renzos in New York. I paid it for the novelty value, but yeah massively steep. Phone Post
3/7/13 7:40 AM
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grillznice -
flee76 - When I went to the Mendes Bros grand opening I asked how much drop-ins are, I was quoted $75 per class.

I guess the price dropped since july
How much is it currently? Phone Post
3/8/13 1:52 PM
Hillary
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chester Davis - My schools rules are kinda funny to me . If you are looking at joining then you get a free week. If your dropping in for a single visit you have to pay 25 . I just tell people to say they may want to join and they train free .

Cheap move IMO. The week trial is offered under the chance that they will sign up for 1000+ dollars in a contract. The drop in with no intention of paying there on contract is receiving a service from a professional and he should be compensated accordingly. I was always very grateful when someone waved drop in fees for me, and I plan to return the favor if I ever have my own gym, but at least offering to pay the fee is the absolute correct thing to do.
3/8/13 2:44 PM
CoreNobody
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sunderground - I've dropped in at Marcelos, Cesars, and Ralphs. Called ahead. When I tried to pay a mat fee, all I got was a smile and "on us..."

Talk to the right people and not the new blue belt minding the desk (at Gracie Barra. hahahaha)

This! Phone Post
3/8/13 3:05 PM
Team Python
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back in the days there was no such thing as drop in fees. If you were a Jiu-Jiteiro from another school you were welcomed with open arms to train. I am still that way at my school....
3/8/13 9:08 PM
CoreNobody
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At NorCal,just sign the waiver. Phone Post
3/8/13 9:44 PM
fryingarmbar

Also, in addition to the $50 fee, $3 to rent a gi with their team patches on it. And here I brought a plain white gi w/absolutely no patches, thinking it would be respectful to whichever school would be nice enough to let me train. lol Phone Post
3/9/13 7:41 AM
BayviewJiuJitsu

fryingarmbar -  Also, in addition to the $50 fee, $3 to rent a gi with their team patches on it. And here I brought a plain white gi w/absolutely no patches, thinking it would be respectful to whichever school would be nice enough to let me train. lol Phone Post

Now you gotta say the gym name or at least tell me what city your in.
3/11/13 1:21 AM
TOSH COOK
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When guys come from out of town to drop in, as long as they are from a legit school I never charge them anything. I only ask they tell their instructor that the Royce guys in Fresno treated them well. www.rgjjoffresno.com
3/13/13 6:44 PM
Oyama
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$40 a day or $80 a week is just foolish- go to the local judo club or even the boxing gym- if these are not availbale sue the hotel fitness center.
3/13/13 7:24 PM
Rob T
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We do (as jonbroster has already said) first class free then it's £5 per class and we also have monthly options.

Only reason we don't do every class free for visitors is it seems kind of unfair to any regular students who pay for classes. People can wear any gi they want, patches or plain (I think it's cool for people to rep their home academy) and I will always roll with them unless I'm injured.
3/13/13 8:02 PM
fryingarmbar

Oyama - $40 a day or $80 a week is just foolish- go to the local judo club or even the boxing gym- if these are not availbale sue the hotel fitness center.
Yeah I've just been running and lifting more than usual. I'm also eating twice as much so it's a push. Phone Post
3/13/13 8:37 PM
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the club I helped run, out-of-town visitors trained for free. That's pretty normal from what I've seen. I've trained SO many places for free.

That makes me feel gross, though. Usually I try to buy a shirt or a patch. At one place I've spent a couple of months in total, I bought one of their gis and I wear it when I train there. If all else fails, I surreptitiously leave money on the counter when I go.

3/14/13 1:42 AM
Matthieu Battle
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've traveled a good bit, paid some drop ins, had more of 'em waived. usually guys say we'll settle up after class and then and the end they just say forget about it. occasionally i'm charged and i don't mind.

i think the most i've paid was $20. it's worth it to me to roll with new people and different games. it's the same reason i love it when we have visitors where i train. different games are awesome - always something to learn. i don't entirely trust a place that seems to discourage drop ins.
3/14/13 10:11 AM
Bloodstorm

Baroquen Record - 50 bucks to drop in for one day sounds outrageous to me.

unless you get to roll with marcelo or something equal, but just a regular class? no way
Same. I wonder how much they charge monthly Phone Post
3/14/13 10:23 AM
Barbartha
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck that school man. Drop-in fees are fucking weak.

3/14/13 10:24 AM
Ozzimandias
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hillary - I know Carlos Machado school in Dallas charges $50 per day, and I think Renzo's used to be $40 or $50 when I went there.

I've been to a ton of places, and the average mat fee was $20. If it was waived I usually bought a tshirt (I've got a coach who's cool and gives zero fucks about that).

My school is right along I40 between TX and TN so we tend to get a healthy amount of drop ins, and we get a mixed bag of low and high ranks with experience frequenting the nearby airforce base. So we love drop ins, always welcome. Maybe you just caught some bad luck.

Not sure if you are correct @ $50 per day.  

http://www.groupon.com/deals/rcj-machado-jiu-jitsu

• $39 for 10 drop-in jiu-jitsu classes (a $150 value)
  • $59 for 20 drop-in jiu-jitsu classes (a $300 value)

that's a steal

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.