UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Some advice for a white belt?

3/6/13 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
McWilliams
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 25 and have just started. I'm a very athletic guy and am dominating a lot of blue belts already. I want to progress up the ranks quickly but I realize progress comes with patience.

What advice would you guys give me at the beginning of my journey?
3/6/13 5:44 PM
Jonno
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Students do not claim the belt, the belt claims the student. Phone Post
3/6/13 6:26 PM
k1levelstriking
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enter some tournaments. If you are dominating blue belts so early into the beginning of your BJJ career then either A) they suck B) you're rolling with athletic ability and not technique and they're trying to work their defence instead of fighting fire with fire C) you're a prodigy Phone Post
3/6/13 6:27 PM
SteelyRes211
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quit spazzing.
3/6/13 6:27 PM
k1levelstriking
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And also, if you're worried about belts you're already going in the wrong direction Phone Post
3/6/13 6:39 PM
Herbish1
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McWilliams - I'm 25 and have just started. I'm a very athletic guy and am dominating a lot of blue belts already. I want to progress up the ranks quickly but I realize progress comes with patience.

Perhaps those blue belts are giving you an inch and you're taking a mile Phone Post
3/6/13 6:43 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Listen to Ryon.

Keep it playful.

3/6/13 6:50 PM
pursuitofhappiness

Get as big and as strong as possible
3/6/13 6:56 PM
McWilliams
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pursuitofhappiness - Get as big and as strong as possible

I'm always trying to get strong bro.

I'm also working on flexibility, and want to have a killer guard game. I want to have 6 months or so training under my belt before I enter a tournament, which I will hopefully win.
3/6/13 7:01 PM
tripleguardpull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know where you are coming from, I progressed quickly as well getting my blue in 6 months but even though I was beating other blues I'm not sure at the time I really was a blue belt version of myself.

Never let your talent exceed your ambition.
3/6/13 7:02 PM
pursuitofhappiness

First advice on a serious note though is to not create a topic to say how athletic you are and how you dominate people when youre so new. Losing the ego is usually the first step in most peoples bjj journey. Spazzing and holding a position on top as if you being on the bottom would be the end your life isn't really "dominating." Which most white belts do. Second advice would be to enter some tournaments if you're really a dominating prodigy.
3/6/13 7:15 PM
McWilliams

I'm sorry I didn't come on here to make other practitioners of the art feel threatened. We're all BJJ brothers man!

The truth is I'm rolling very well for a beginner, and yes I do fight hard. I think it would be disrespectful to my opponent if I went easy on him. Also I don't really know how to go easy, it would feel completely unnatural to me to not try my best when a guy's fighting me.

Yes, I'm winning fights by being more athletic and outmuscleing my opponents, but I'm a beginner, and the best way for learning is to fight hard! I learn, and my opponent learns.

3/6/13 7:25 PM
puppet
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ I kinda feel the same way. Most white belts are mostly trying to survive when rolling with higher belts. Using muscle and keeping a high pace is (like op said) natural. Of course with time comes experience with positions and more tech rather than strength. Personally, my gym is pretty tough so I don't think anyone takes it personal. Or at least I hope they don't. Phone Post
3/6/13 7:28 PM
Setree
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McWilliams - I'm sorry I didn't come on here to make other practitioners of the art feel threatened. We're all BJJ brothers man!

The truth is I'm rolling very well for a beginner, and yes I do fight hard. I think it would be disrespectful to my opponent if I went easy on him. Also I don't really know how to go easy, it would feel completely unnatural to me to not try my best when a guy's fighting me.

Yes, I'm winning fights by being more athletic and outmuscleing my opponents, but I'm a beginner, and the best way for learning is to fight hard! I learn, and my opponent learns.

This. BJJ guys are wimps.

Just keep doing what comes natural. There's no reason what-so-ever to listen to these wimps.

Just do work! Teach them all a lesson!

3/6/13 7:29 PM
thebasher

focus on technique and leave your ego aside.

It's better to 'lose' a few rolls and get tapped because you're trying new techniques and developing your game than using your athleticism and dominating blue belts.

ego is the biggest inhibitor of your game IMO. I have seen guys who can beat blues because they are athlectic and can pull off a couple of techniques but it always comes back to bite them as they progress through their journey
3/6/13 8:31 PM
pursuitofhappiness

I'm just saying there's a time for hard rolling and a time for flow rolling. When I first started there was a guy who had done it for about 6 months before me. I was a lot stronger and athletic then him and was tapping him out every day. Not because I was better, it was because I was a lot stronger. I learned to use as little strength as possible. If you use strength, that is what you'll rely on because it works for you against the blue belts at your gum. But once you go up against someone stronger, bigger, and more athletic than you at the gum, or the streets, muscling is going to do nothing and your technique won't be nearly developed enough to deal with someone like that. This is why small people have it good in BJJ. They get smashed for the longest time in the gym but are forced to develop PERFECT technique, or else the move won't be affective against someone much bigger and stronger.
3/6/13 8:44 PM
poolparty

drill, drill, drill. work on the basics, don't work on anything exotic. stop thinking about winning in practice.
3/6/13 10:14 PM
Braxmax

My advice would be to show this thread to your instructor and see how he feels about it. Also print it off and put it in a time capsule... Then open it in 10 years (assuming you keep going in bjj). Then laugh at yourself and tell your buddies/students what a pretentious and ridiculous 25 yr old you were. Phone Post
3/6/13 10:39 PM
pursuitofhappiness

Braxmax -  My advice would be to show this thread to your instructor and see how he feels about it. Also print it off and put it in a time capsule... Then open it in 10 years (assuming you keep going in bjj). Then laugh at yourself and tell your buddies/students what a pretentious and ridiculous 25 yr old you were. Phone Post

Show it to the blue belts and then roll them
3/6/13 11:14 PM
Pride Wanderlei

McWilliams - I'm sorry I didn't come on here to make other practitioners of the art feel threatened. We're all BJJ brothers man!

Glad you aren't at my school. Phone Post
3/6/13 11:20 PM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stop trying to win so much and try to have fun. Right now you have the bug but if that's all you have you won't last long in bjj. The people that really seem to last are the ones that enjoy coming to the gym to see their friends.
3/6/13 11:43 PM
bjh13
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McWilliams - I'm sorry I didn't come on here to make other practitioners of the art feel threatened. We're all BJJ brothers man!

1) They are probably going easy on you because you are new.

2) Rolling isn't about "winning" it's about learning.

3) The best way to learn is not to fight hard, the best way to learn is to be calm and pay attention. If you keep going 100% so you "win" every roll, either someone is going to get hurt or your instructor is going to get fed up and make you regret being there. Relying on athleticism may work great when someone is being nice, expect bad things when they take it serious.
3/7/13 12:41 AM
TheBulgarianAssassin
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Work both sides for any technique.
3/7/13 7:16 AM
Akston
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herbish1 -
McWilliams - I'm 25 and have just started. I'm a very athletic guy and am dominating a lot of blue belts already. I want to progress up the ranks quickly but I realize progress comes with patience.

Perhaps those blue belts are giving you an inch and you're taking a mile Phone Post
. Phone Post
3/7/13 9:06 AM
Renzo's Elbow
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You sound like you've got potential! Try to hook up with a Lloyd Irvin or his affiliates. They will help you be the best!
ok, I kid.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.