UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Some advice for a white belt?

3/7/13 1:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
X_Rated
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McWilliams - I'm sorry I didn't come on here to make other practitioners of the art feel threatened. We're all BJJ brothers man!

The truth is I'm rolling very well for a beginner, and yes I do fight hard. I think it would be disrespectful to my opponent if I went easy on him. Also I don't really know how to go easy, it would feel completely unnatural to me to not try my best when a guy's fighting me.

Yes, I'm winning fights by being more athletic and outmuscleing my opponents, but I'm a beginner, and the best way for learning is to fight hard! I learn, and my opponent learns.

I know you're a beginner... but ugh you are the exact kind of person I want nothing to do with in my training.

3/7/13 1:41 PM
Setree
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bluebelt in trolling, imo.
3/7/13 2:39 PM
eviladam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you tap a higher belt, you are supposed to take their belt as your own. not doing so is the pinnacle of disrespect.
3/7/13 3:38 PM
McWilliams
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the Lloyd Irvin thing. I was living in a different city the summer before last (a major Northern American one), and my summer job was coming to an end.

I managed to get a job in a start-up MMA gym as a salesperson, which seemed pretty cool. But as part of my training I was made watch this LI DVD called "MMA Millionaire" or something similar to that... The sales techniques seemed really unethical and douchey, and one of the things I had to do was wear a suit to work (to a fucking MMA gym? It made me look like a major douche!), so I quit the job on my second day.

As for the advice... I get it, I need to focus on technique and try to not use as much power when I roll. :-)

I was hoping for advice more along the lines of what techniques to master etc.!
3/7/13 4:02 PM
ubik
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you really want to improve (and im not convinced, you sound more like you want to win every sparring session which is not the same, and a good way to injure sparring partners) then you need to restrict your set.

For example, when on top focus purely on applying weight and not strength.
Learn to feel what your partner (note my language, not opponent) is doing. If they are escaping can you transition to a better position. Can you feel where they are going?
Dont force subs, set them up. All the best guys make you walk into it, they dont force anything.
BJJ is leverage, what is the most efficient way to do something. Can you learn to take your time?
Start off in inferior positions, can you escape?
3/7/13 5:15 PM
Jessy30
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like you are traneing at one of those gyms where they massage each other after class. In which case I'd like to remind you of three things:

1) make sure you wear your thong

2) The dominating is only important when the actual wrestling is taking place....not after.

3) Don't forget the happy ending.

I hope you choke on your massage partners jizz you asshat Phone Post
3/7/13 8:20 PM
jasonhightower
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is OP Josh Samman? Phone Post
3/8/13 2:21 PM
McWilliams
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, I'm gonna try to be more gentle and use movements to try to submit my opponents using softer movements.

I've also contacted another school where a few MMA guys train BJJ, I might drop in there after I'm more experienced to see how I find rolling with those dudes.
3/8/13 2:36 PM
EazyG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK-

I will bit on this thread. What is your weight and height? Have you done wrestling or other grappling arts before? How much?

Assuming you arent trolling and are really dominating blue belts with your athleticism, and want to improve, here is my suggestion. There are two basic steps:

(1) Roll with the good purples, browns and blacks. Preferably around you size or bigger. Let the guys know you want to test yourself and ask them to train hard with you. See how you do with them. Chances are they will know how to take advantage of various holes in your game and probably dominate you.

Then afterwards (probably better after class) ask a few to give you some suggestions on how to improve. They will hopefully tell you about holes in your game you need to improve.

(2) Now you have a sense of your weaknesses you need to work on, drill the techniques over and over and over... Then also roll with other lower belts you can 'dominate' but let them put you in positions where you can work on your weaknesses. Try not to muscle out too much - muscle is OK but technique with muscle is much better. Try to roll with guys at least your size (or bigger) as this will reduce your ability to just muscle out.

Now as you improve, go with the purples+ again and see how your technique has improved.... keep repeating process.

If you really want a challenge, tell the purples+ that you arent getting enough competition with the blues and deal with their intensity....

3/8/13 3:10 PM
McWilliams

Nice reply Easy G. I'm not a big guy, I'm 180lb and 5'11, but I'm strong and have very good cardio (I used to run middle-distance competitively and can do 20 wide-grip pull ups). In the class I'm in there are only blues at the moment, I'm gonna try to master some of the basics before attempting to step up.

I actually haven't done much grappling before, but have watched it all my life, I also used to play rugby.
3/8/13 3:56 PM
EazyG

maybe speak with your instructor and ask him if you can attend a more advanced class? He may realize you do not have alot of challenge in the beginners class? Just be respectful.

are you in a decent sized city? where? some schools have been around longer, have more senior belts, are more competition focused (which sounds like your preference) than others.

I am in NYC and would suggest you try at Renzo's or Marcelo's if you lived here, as they would certainly have guys to give you a challenge, and show you the value of technique. Most big cities have a number of good options - have you checked the various options around you?

I dont want to say leave your school, but if you are very competitive and want an intense atmosphere where you get pushed, some places will work better than others for you. Are their senior belts you admire and aspire to be as good as them? If not you may not be at a good place for you... you need to want to learn what they have to offer.

3/8/13 4:18 PM
1800champagne

What kind of blue belts get smashed by a brand new white belt? I could maybe see it if you're a D1 wrestler or have a judo/sambo background. Very Interdasting. Phone Post
3/8/13 4:31 PM
McWilliams

EazyG - maybe speak with your instructor and ask him if you can attend a more advanced class? He may realize you do not have alot of challenge in the beginners class? Just be respectful.

are you in a decent sized city? where? some schools have been around longer, have more senior belts, are more competition focused (which sounds like your preference) than others.

I am in NYC and would suggest you try at Renzo's or Marcelo's if you lived here, as they would certainly have guys to give you a challenge, and show you the value of technique. Most big cities have a number of good options - have you checked the various options around you?

I dont want to say leave your school, but if you are very competitive and want an intense atmosphere where you get pushed, some places will work better than others for you. Are their senior belts you admire and aspire to be as good as them? If not you may not be at a good place for you... you need to want to learn what they have to offer.

I'm not in a big city at the moment, so training options are very limited for me. I would love to be in NYC and try some of those places.

I'm gonna keep training hard and if I move back to a major city (which I should hopefully do in the next 6 months), I'm definitely gonna join a very competitive gym. I'm really at infancy stage at the moment, I'm just gonna keep training, learning, and getting used to sparring.

3/8/13 4:48 PM
Jits_n_Hoez

McWilliams - I'm 25 and have just started. I'm a very athletic guy and am dominating a lot of blue belts already. I want to progress up the ranks quickly but I realize progress comes with patience.

What advice would you guys give me at the beginning of my journey?
If you are dominating blues already, switch clubs fren. No matter how athletic, a blue should not be dominated by a beginner. Phone Post
3/8/13 4:57 PM
FatBuddha
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. find the best teacher you can whether by moving, traveling to attend seminars, or investing in dvds/online training.

2. decide if your goal is to be a sport champion or to defend yourself via self defense. If a sport champion, follow the game plan of those that have been there before. If self defense, invest in learning tools such as Rorion's Street Self Defense and Gracie Combatives (www.gracieacademy.com)

3. take audio notes via a voicerecorder on your drive back from every class. Treat it like a college class, not a "work out". Visualize the techniques taught and what you could have done better in rolling in your down time.

4. map out a consistent schedule of what days you will attend

5. get your finances, education, career, and a stable girlfriend in order because these are the main things that can interfere with training down the road

6. Buy at least 2 gis and wash the gi you are going to use before every class

7. Have written goals focusing on your personal journey towards perfection of different positions (NOT on beating teammate x,y, or z)

8. enjoy your time on the mat and approach training in a dedicaetd but positive and happy manner.

Good luck
3/8/13 4:59 PM
McWilliams

FatBuddha - 1. find the best teacher you can whether by moving, traveling to attend seminars, or investing in dvds/online training.

2. decide if your goal is to be a sport champion or to defend yourself via self defense. If a sport champion, follow the game plan of those that have been there before. If self defense, invest in learning tools such as Rorion's Street Self Defense and Gracie Combatives (www.gracieacademy.com)

3. take audio notes via a voicerecorder on your drive back from every class. Treat it like a college class, not a "work out". Visualize the techniques taught and what you could have done better in rolling in your down time.

4. map out a consistent schedule of what days you will attend

5. get your finances, education, career, and a stable girlfriend in order because these are the main things that can interfere with training down the road

6. Buy at least 2 gis and wash the gi you are going to use before every class

7. Have written goals focusing on your personal journey towards perfection of different positions (NOT on beating teammate x,y, or z)

8. enjoy your time on the mat and approach training in a dedicaetd but positive and happy manner.

Good luck

Respect.
3/11/13 11:41 AM
Maconhockey

Find a bluebelt over 30 with a worn belt and tell him how good you are and how you smash the other bluebelts. 

Honesty you need to be humbled a little in order to progress.  Forget about belts.  The belts will come with time as long as you keep comming to class. 

If you are truly not a troll just listen to some of the advice other have given you and forget about how good you think you are.

3/11/13 1:51 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tapping is not losing.  getting taps is not winning.

3/11/13 3:49 PM
South Philly D

So you were like 13 when you joined this forum and are just now taking up BJJ and know nothing about it. Hmmm. Ok.

3/11/13 6:48 PM
SteelyRes211
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

South Philly D - 

So you were like 13 when you joined this forum and are just now taking up BJJ and know nothing about it. Hmmm. Ok.

Seems legit.
3/11/13 6:58 PM
LittleWing
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you are most likely trolling with your join date... but in the event you are not, i would say only one thing..

FIND A DIFFERENT SCHOOL

i was in a very similar position when i first started, rugby player as well actually. felt like king of the mats after a yr and could outmuscle most ppl. coulndt neccesarily tap everyone but certainly could avoid being tapped 

its not a good place to be and it gives you a false sense of where your skills are it. it was not until i went to a legit bjj school that i found out exactly what a knee on belly feels like

3/11/13 7:26 PM
Stipe
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You'll need understanding of getting out of bad spots (dominant positions) and on keeping control when you get to the good ones.

Add in passing the guard, and guardwork off your back.

And that's your foundation. Those four areas are the deciding factors.
3/12/13 9:49 AM
JJJJJ

Sub. I just started also and am bigger/stronger than a lot of my training partners. .... But I still get my ass handed to me daily. Maybe you need a different school Phone Post
3/12/13 12:15 PM
odennis
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Athleticism and intensity can go a long way. If you can learn to be technical while still using those attributes it will certainly be beneficial. Just realize that someone like you may get a blue belt quickly but if you just depend on your grinding to get you past beating up on blue belts it's not going to happen. The purple belts will frustrate the hell out of you if you don't learn to mix it up with technique.
3/12/13 12:35 PM
chew22
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Advice?

Don't roll like you troll.

Use a little subtlety.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.