UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP fans - check in!!

3/7/13 1:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CrazyPope
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In
3/7/13 1:50 AM
Shoebert
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP is greatness.

3/7/13 1:51 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/07/13 2:00 AM
Nick Diaz Number 1 Fan -  While we're talking about media, I'll be honest about something. I used not to like GSP very much. But the more I listened to him, the more I started to watch his interviews and how he handled the press and media scrutiny, the more I started to like the guy.

First, he does most of this press in his second language. I'm into language and language acquisition. I have an advanced degree in applied linguistics, I'm an English-language teacher, and I speak two languages that are not my native one (which is English). Anyone who has learned a second language later in life (I'm talking >16) knows how much pressure one has trying to speak a second language with native speakers of that language, like Georges does with English. You get nervous, you have to pay extra close attention to what people are saying, and you will never be able to express yourself as well as you can in your first language. Obviously, with more exposure to the second language, you get more comfortable with it and better at speaking it, as Georges has shown, but there is always something missing when you speak your second language compared to when you speak your first. This is the type of pressure anyone has to deal with, and most people don't handle it well. They become resentful, stop trying, or develop a deep resentment toward their second-language society. It makes acclimation all the more difficult if they are forced to live in the second-language country/community.

Not only does GSP handle this incredibly well for a second-language speaker, he's also better than most first-language speakers at public speaking. And he does it all in front of the media, with all the fucking lights and cameras and shit, and a fuck load more pressure because people are analyzing everything he's saying. The guy fucking exudes professionalism and class. That interview he did when he was announcing why he wanted to fight Diaz and not Hendricks was a great example of what I'm talking about. He was basically fed to the wolves, and in a situation that was impossible to provide an answer for, at least one that would suffice the desires of annoying fucking media assholes. And there was GSP, a fucking BOSS, handling shit like it was nothing. What an incredible person and representation of the sport, I thought. When I have a son, this is the type of athlete I will want him to look up to. Phone Post

Very true.

I've always considered Georges somewhat of a pioneer in MMA.  He was wearing to suits to pressers when fightesr were wearing Tapout tees, he tried to become a complete mixed martial artist while others just tried to specialize in one etc.

Regarding Georges' media accumen, that's a reason this fight is so compelling to me.  Georges is clean-cut, polished, and refined whereas Diaz is brash, uncensored and totally volatile.  The contrast between Georges and Nick is evident in every conceivable way - from their stlye of fighting to their personality.  

Many of us aspire to be like Georges, but then again I think all of us have at  one point or another wished that we could give society the proverbial middle finger like Nick does.

This thread has made me so excited for this fight.

3/7/13 2:02 AM
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoebert - 

GSP is greatness.

In a word: epic.

3/7/13 2:19 AM

TTT for GSP night owls.

3/7/13 2:46 AM
lockon
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Nick Diaz Number 1 Fan the poster formerly known as Nick Diaz Nut Hugger?
3/7/13 3:00 AM

lockon - Is Nick Diaz Number 1 Fan the poster formerly known as Nick Diaz Nut Hugger?

No

3/7/13 3:06 AM
Foob
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In

3/7/13 3:34 AM
samcarr6

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

No high school or collegiate wrestling experience, and yet he's by far the best wrestler in MMA.

I love how gsp fakes the jab to set it up and alves falls for it Phone Post
3/7/13 11:30 AM

samcarr6 -
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

No high school or collegiate wrestling experience, and yet he's by far the best wrestler in MMA.

I love how gsp fakes the jab to set it up and alves falls for it Phone Post
The opening takedown he hit on Serra at UFC 83 was even better.

He paws a jab and changes levels so quickly that Serra doesn't even know what hit him. Phone Post
3/7/13 11:35 AM
suess
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

love this one

3/7/13 12:05 PM
LucasBTiger
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In

WAR KEEPER OF DA RIDDUM! Phone Post
3/7/13 12:13 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
837 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can Nick Diaz 'andle dis riddum??

3/7/13 12:20 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
837 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/7/13 12:20 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

3/7/13 12:25 PM
zaiontz
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
3/7/13 12:27 PM

UGCTT_FryedTakayama -

Glad we can have a staple of the UG like FryedTakayama on board Phone Post
3/7/13 12:28 PM
Jaybrone
469 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude dominates in every area, fuck the haters who can't appreciate his skills.

3/7/13 12:28 PM
suess
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAFAN695 - 

No reason why GSP fans and Daiz fans can't coexist.  Just like Diaz said  "I like Georges" ... 

See, I'll even contribute an old interesting video.  Unfortunately, I like Diaz more.  

Glad to see the UG has right though...  This thread 1858 views,  Diaz thread  2343 views :)  

to be fair, 1800 of those views are me.  

3/7/13 12:29 PM

MMAFAN695 -

No reason why GSP fans and Daiz fans can't coexist.  Just like Diaz said  "I like Georges" ... 

See, I'll even contribute an old interesting video.  Unfortunately, I like Diaz more.  

Glad to see the UG has right though...  This thread 1858 views,  Diaz thread  2343 views :)  

Always have time for Diaz fans that are like this guy.

Good post, and the reason I created this thread was that to show the UG that it's not only Diaz that has hardcore fans.

This thread has about the same number of views/posts as the Diaz one Phone Post
3/7/13 12:29 PM
hmb

Jaybrone - 

I don't appreciate his skills, they are good, but it's his strength advantage and speed that allow him win. He's a genetic freak but wilts when hit solidly.
3/7/13 12:31 PM
suess

hmb - 
Jaybrone - 

I don't appreciate his skills, they are good, but it's his strength advantage and speed that allow him win. He's a genetic freak but wilts when hit solidly.

lol you are so stupid it is really impressive.  i mean, bravo on even running a computer.  

3/7/13 12:40 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama -

Glad we can have a staple of the UG like FryedTakayama on board Phone Post

3/7/13 12:42 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

3/7/13 1:01 PM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.