UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Know anyone who can DL 500 and run a 5K in 20 min?

3/7/13 4:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
enbanc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

?
3/7/13 4:53 PM
enbanc

How difficult is it
3/7/13 9:07 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I imagine 95% of the OG can do this after rolling out of bed hungover.

A 20 minute 5k means you're running 6:26/miles or 9.32mph. Obviously that's not impossible, but that will require a lot of dedicated training for most people. It's pretty damn fast in the grand scheme of things. The same can be said of the 500 lbs DL.

The people naturally good at one are generally not good at the other. Dedicated training for one will hamper the other. I'm sure there are folks that can do it, but they'd be few and far between. I guess that's a long way of saying it's very difficult but not impossible.
3/7/13 9:11 PM
torquemada
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know It's heresy, but a couple of Crossfit buddies can do this, and I've seen them do both.

Personal best is short of both. Phone Post
3/7/13 9:17 PM
blaznbison24
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think people from cross-fit or some lower weight wrestlers could pull this off. Not many guys can just deadlift 500 lbs, but there's a lot of guys with the talent to run under 20 minutes with just a few months of training. Definitely a tough combo.
3/7/13 11:38 PM
gusto

i bet Ross from rosstraining can do that
3/8/13 12:21 AM
BEEF & CHEESE

The top crossfitters can.
3/8/13 2:35 AM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My friend who I posted about before, the genetic freak guy, probably could. 500 is an easy pull for him so he could focis on running if he needed to. Phone Post
3/8/13 3:16 AM
6mildollarman
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gusto - i bet Ross from rosstraining can do that
I've read somewhere a few years ago that Ross Enamait can clear a 5K around the 18 min mark. And he also posted a video response a few years back to a challenge that he couldn't pull 400. He ended up doing 495 in the vid at a body weight of 170# and NO SPECIFIC DEADLIFT TRAINING!

Definitely agree that Ross can pull off this feat. Phone Post
3/8/13 3:17 AM
6mildollarman
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gusto - i bet Ross from rosstraining can do that
I've read somewhere a few years ago that Ross Enamait can clear a 5K around the 18 min mark. And he also posted a video response a few years back to a challenge that he couldn't pull 400. He ended up doing 495 in the vid at a body weight of 170# and NO SPECIFIC DEADLIFT TRAINING!

Definitely agree that Ross can pull off this feat. Phone Post
3/8/13 8:51 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/08/13 8:52 AM
I have been doing quite a bit of cardio for the last month, I have no idea what my 5K time would be though. The 500 pull I know I can do. Sounds like a fun challenge, at least to see how close I could come on the run. If I'm feeling really motivated I will try it this weekend. I doubt I'd go sub 20 but I bet I could hit something respectable. IF you can rep the 500 can you shave time off the run for each rep? LOL
3/8/13 10:31 AM
The Gunslinger

I have several guys who can do this at my gym and most of my long time trainees can at least get really close, and that's lifting AND lowering the deadlift, not the dropping crap. But then, I run a crossfit gym so it doesn't count.
3/8/13 11:51 AM
itisasitis
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you give me a month I could probably do it.

I can pull in the low 5's and the last time I ran a 5K was in 22 minutes.

I hate running.
3/8/13 12:56 PM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did a couple years ago, but nagging MCL issue keeps my time between 22-23 min. Still got the DL though.
3/8/13 5:14 PM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BEEF & CHEESE - The top crossfitters can.
Wouldn't surprise me. Guy who are very strong and very fit can win good cash by competing in xfit games. Phone Post
3/8/13 6:21 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - 
Wouldn't surprise me. Guy who are very strong and very fit can win good cash by competing in xfit games. Phone Post

At the Games last year, they had a tri. 700m swim; 8km bike; 11km run. The times really weren't impressive at all and people we collapsing all over the place from heat exhaustion. Many were walking during the run.
3/8/13 6:26 PM
Adventure Runner

^ Re-reading that and it came off as harsh. It wasn't meant to be. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those folks. They do shit that blows my mind. Running or doing anything for distance/prolonged time typically isn't one of them is my point. ;)
3/8/13 6:37 PM
Leigh

Right, which is why a legit high class athlete from a different background can enter the games and clean up. Phone Post
3/8/13 7:39 PM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When i was doing a lot of running i could do a 20 min 5k. The deadlift is well beyond me though.
3/8/13 8:24 PM
quidditch
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At different points in my life I could have done one but not the other :( I sure as hell couldn't do the run now unless I gave up my lifting.
3/8/13 11:54 PM
FJJ828
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adventure Runner - 
Leigh - 

At the Games last year, they had a tri. 700m swim; 8km bike; 11km run. The times really weren't impressive at all and people we collapsing all over the place from heat exhaustion. Many were walking during the run.

Shhhhhhh.... XFitters run sub 20 5k's and sub 40 10k's as part of their WODs after DLs, Wall Balls and Pull Ups.

3/9/13 12:55 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say there are plenty of professional football and rugby players, among other sports, who would be able to pull off the feat. last year I pulled 500lbs (230kg to be exact) for 4 reps around the same time I ran a 5km in 23 minutes. I work pretty long hours and don't have a lot of time to train properly so if I can nearly pull off the feat I imagine there are lots of pros who could do it far more easily.
3/9/13 6:04 AM
joemama1034
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the crossfit games the swim was in an ocean, the bike ride was with a bike that had one gear and was mostly through sand, and the run was basically all uphill on dirt. It was at a USMC base. So times may be a bit misleading. I bet 90% of pro athletes couldn't make it to the final day of the crossfit games without training gymnastics and specific shit like that for a while. Phone Post
3/9/13 9:40 AM
vermonter
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This could be theoretically possible for me if I were a different person.
3/9/13 10:53 AM
andyman011

Why is only a cross fit guy able to do this. Explain Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.